need new trailer brakes...thoughts?

/ need new trailer brakes...thoughts? #1  

v8only

Silver Member
Tractor
1988 John Deere 755
Hey all,

I just bought a used trailer that needs all 4 brakes redone, also the drum/hub assembly is very old and has not been cleaned for a long time, i will be getting the drums re ground to clean them up and put in new studs and bearings.

I am thinking of picking up these:

New 12" x 2" Electric Trailer Brake Assembly Left Right for 7000 lbs Axle | eBay

or

Electric Trailer Brakes Dexter 12" x 2" Electric Trailer Set of 4 | eBay

anyone think that one is better than the other? are they all the same or do you suggest i look for something else?

I dont really need both axles for braking, should i just convert 2 to disks and buy a converter?

/ need new trailer brakes...thoughts? #2  
Hey all,

I just bought a used trailer that needs all 4 brakes redone, also the drum/hub assembly is very old and has not been cleaned for a long time, i will be getting the drums re ground to clean them up and put in new studs and bearings.

I am thinking of picking up these:

New 12" x 2" Electric Trailer Brake Assembly Left Right for 7000 lbs Axle | eBay

or

Electric Trailer Brakes Dexter 12" x 2" Electric Trailer Set of 4 | eBay

anyone think that one is better than the other? are they all the same or do you suggest i look for something else?

I dont really need both axles for braking, should i just convert 2 to disks and buy a converter?

I like Dexter, and am a fan of brakes in all positions.

Not sure about that particular size, but I've seen data on Dexter's auto-adjust trailer brakes. Don't know the price adder, but seems like a good idea for a trailer you plan to have for a while - many folks don't adjust their brakes often enough, or maybe not at all.

Rgds, D.

/ need new trailer brakes...thoughts? #3  
I had a trailer with one set of axles with brakes. Second axle with no brakes. Bent the no brakes axle. Replaced it with a new axle with brakes. Trailer now has enough braking power to stop itself with a load. Much safer to use.

I kind of prefer buying American made stuff when possible. It looks like the Dexter brakes have a bigger magnet which may be a bonus.

/ need new trailer brakes...thoughts? #4  
You don't say what weight that trailer is going to be when loaded. And I don't know anything about either of those eBay sellers, but . . . (1) I'd definitely want brakes on both axles, and (2) that's the brand, size, etc. that I'd probably want.

/ need new trailer brakes...thoughts? #6  
I purchased a complete set of self-adjusting brakes (from the backing plate out) for my 14k trailer from etrailer.com. I have no complaints.

/ need new trailer brakes...thoughts?
its 10,000 lbs trailer, the current drums/hubs that are on it now are 12"x2" so i was going to re use my drums and just get new guts. When loaded it to the max it will have a vehicle on it and be pulled with a GMC 1500.

/ need new trailer brakes...thoughts? #8  
I am a fan of disc brakes. I have converted 2 of my 3 trailers. Worth every penny.

Chris

/ need new trailer brakes...thoughts? #10  
I've not had a trailer with disc brakes, but naturally prefer the disc on cars and trucks. But when I had a fifth-wheel RV with 3,500# axles and 10" brakes, the brakes were not bad but were not going to lock up the wheels when I was running 7,300# on the axles and 2,500# on the pin. Anyway, I went to the Dexter factory in Indiana in 1990 and had 5,200# axles with their 6,000# tubes and 12" brakes custom made for my trailer, then I had to back way off on my controller because that would lock up the wheels easily. So I think the OP will be happy with those brakes, although it might well be even better with disc brakes.