Two Pole Barns, one new and one to renovate

/ Two Pole Barns, one new and one to renovate #81  
I have been reading the posts of everyone building barns and houses for a long time and and want to thank Motorseven, Obed, Bindian and BoFuller and others for motivating me to take on these projects by myself. Your projects are great.
Thanks Rick. Sorry I just found this thread. You need a checkboard on it. 10-15-11 Checkerboard Door Closed.jpg
hugs, Brandi

/ Two Pole Barns, one new and one to renovate #82  
Here is a picture of the Hardie panel siding that shows the texture really well. The sun was low and at an angle to this wall so it shows the texture well.
Rick
View attachment 329315

I see what looks like fastener holes/impressions in the Hardie panel.

Would you please detail the method you used to fasten the panels; i.e. nails or screws, hammer or nail gun? Predrilled holes or no holes?

Also, what special precautions are necessary when putting in the fasteners?:confused3:

Thanks for your help with these questions. I need to apply about three panels on a deteriorating wall and I am a little concerned about which method to use to attach the panels.:confused:

Did you have to cut any panels? How did you cut them? I may have to cut at least one of my panels to fit around a window.

Thanks a bunch.:D

Arkaybee

/ Two Pole Barns, one new and one to renovate
I got some help yesterday so we were able to get the siding up on the gable end. Over the weekend I had been working on getting the battens on the building. A time consuming job as I cut each one to fit and then primed the end and then nailed them to the wall.
The gable siding went well after we got the center piece up the scaffold and realized that I had cut the angles wrong and had to take it down and recut it. Finally got it up and was smooth sailing from there.
The building is almost complete on the outside. All the siding is up but I do have a few pieces of trim to put up and I need to put up the garage door. I hope to get the little things done and then paint it this weekend, weather permitting.
Here are the pictures, enjoy. Rick

IMG_1836 (Medium).JPG IMG_1837 (Medium).JPG IMG_1838 (Medium).JPG IMG_1841 (Medium).JPG IMG_1842 (Medium).JPG

I see what looks like fastener holes/impressions in the Hardie panel.

Would you please detail the method you used to fasten the panels; i.e. nails or screws, hammer or nail gun? Predrilled holes or no holes?

Also, what special precautions are necessary when putting in the fasteners?:confused3:

Thanks for your help with these questions. I need to apply about three panels on a deteriorating wall and I am a little concerned about which method to use to attach the panels.:confused:

Did you have to cut any panels? How did you cut them? I may have to cut at least one of my panels to fit around a window.
Thanks a bunch.:D
Arkaybee

D, I used 2" ring nails in the nail gun to attach the panels to the girts which are on 2 foot centers. In between the nails on the girts I used 1 5/8 screws to attach to the OSB zip board. I wanted to limit the chance of any waves in the panels. If the panel is not tight up to the OSB when you shoot the nail into it it tends to go right through the panel. Also be careful not the set the nails to deep with the nail gun. I did not drill any holes. Screws are a lot slower to install as they do not get stared into the cement board right away.

Cutting. Yes I cut many of the panels to fit around the windows and door. I used a cement board blade on my circular saw. Very dusty work. In cases where a panel fell completely around a window I used a plunge cut to get started. The panels are very weak when you take a large piece out of the middle of them. A couple of time I had only about 3" on one side so we screwed the edge to a 1x4 to help stabilize it while we carried it from the cutting table to the wall site. Once there we stood it up and unscrewed the board and nailed it to the wall.
Be sure to cut out enough above the window to allow the hardie panel to be 1/4" above your window flashing. Hardie does not want the edge soaking up water from what I have read. Make sure you have some help these panels are a lot harder to handle then OSB or plywood. They break easily. Good luck. Rick

/ Two Pole Barns, one new and one to renovate #85  
Looks good. What style garage door are you getting?

Between rain showers yesterday my wife and I managed to get one side of the building painted. I was doing the cutting in and she was using the roller. We only worked about an hour in the late afternoon after the morning rain. Hoping to get a break tomorrow and get some more done. Rick

IMG_1849 (Medium).JPG IMG_1848 (Medium).JPG

/ Two Pole Barns, one new and one to renovate #87  
Nice job Rick. How were the 10' panels to work with?

Nice job Rick. How were the 10' panels to work with?

They go up pretty fast except where you have to cut out for windows and the door. I screwed a 2x4 to the skirt board where I wanted the bottom of the panel to be and then with a helper we set it on that and tilted it up. Made sure it was straight up and down and then shot some nails into it. Done except for putting battens on. They are heavy and flimsy so you have to be careful with them. I am going to use them again when I renovate the other old barn that has corrugated metal siding on it now. Rick

I have been busy painting the barn with the nice weather that we have had. I have gotten all of the walls painted and am now working on doing the trim. This is one part of the project that is slow going. The west gable end on the building is now complete. The scaffold is down and you can see what it really looks like now. Today I was working on painting the soffits and fascia board until I ran out of paint. Rain for the next couple of days so painting will continue later next week. Rick

IMG_1860 (Medium).JPG IMG_1863 (Medium).JPG IMG_1865 (Medium).JPG IMG_1858 (Medium).JPG

/ Two Pole Barns, one new and one to renovate #90  
Beautiful job, you must be proud.