Helpful neighbor!

/ Helpful neighbor!
What a story...and a nightmare....but a riveting story...(feel bad for your pain though).

Do you happen to know if she was one of the "bidding war bidders" that ultimately ended up losing out when the Alaska seller said he wanted you to have it at the realtor listing price? If she was willing to grossly overpay to buy that 5 acre parcel originally then maybe she indirectly felt she had money to waste on trying to steal that 1.3 acres from you as a consolation prize. Only thing I can even remotely think of that makes any semblance of sense. She may have thought that you would not spend the 30K to fight her and for the amount she was going to overpay on the original 5 acres that she could simply put that amount of money towards trying to at least obtain the 1.3 acres as a second choice consolation prize.

Not much else that I can think of that makes any sense at all. Short of mental illness not much else makes sense because all her actions defy common sense.
That is a thought, but I doubt it very much! I don't think she has any money to speak of. Another reason I say this, when my surveyors were laying out the 660-feet line every 150-feet or so. My buddy who is a retired heavy equipment operator, who was going to run the dozer I had coming the next day to cut that road you see in the pictures, so my fencing contractor could work. My buddy asked her if she was going to have a fit if he got on her side of the stakes accidentally. She through a little hissy fit. We kind of got into it there. I told her she had just as good of a chance to buy the 5-acres as I did. She replied she didn't want to buy it! I replied no you just want to steal it.
None of this would have ever happened if I could have got her to stay somewhat remotely on her property. I had every intension of leaving at least a 150-feet green belt between us. All I had planned at the time of purchase was clearing a section on the north end for a round pin for the horses, and a lay down area for my crap. She kept trespassing the first year, even though the barbwire fence was up. Then she sued me! And had me in court several times for different things. Falsely accused me of moving survey stakes, falsely accused me of beating her up! Now cuts my fence down! The way I see it, there is nothing this woman won't do, until the law makes a believer out of her!

/ Helpful neighbor! #182  
Haven't read throuh all of the posts but would offer this advice to anyone putting in a fence...place it exactly on the property line. In most states that causes both landowners to share in the costs of installing and maintaining but more importantly a fence creates a perceived boundary. Most legal property lines are determined by existing fence lines regardless if they are perfectly on the property line. When establishing a legal boundry it is based on the historic perceived location not the location that can be established now with GPS equipment. Boundary/property law is fairly complex but generally is determined by original intent or delineation.

/ Helpful neighbor! #183  
Shield Arc, I think you already answered your query on what to do with this mess.

Her sewer is not to code. Where does YOUR water come from? Ok, she's lower than your place, but what about the adjoining 5 acres? Her sewage will compromise ANYTHING it seeps to. That's a given.

Have your lawyer research this and consider making her an offer- sell the place for pennies on the dollar to you and she moves out immediately, or someone makes a report to the county and state health. The complications of ground water contamination are immense, Shield Arc. Now we're talking not just the county health, but state as well. Then the EPA may be interested. The state Department of Environmental Quality (or the Washington equivalent), then state Fish and Game (since there is a live stream the seepage will affect), and if any nationally protected aquatic inhabitants (fish, frogs, snails, worms, etc) are at risk, the US Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Services, then the USGS, POSSIBLY the USFS and BLM and any other government agency that has anything to do with anything that may be in contact with the contaminated water. Dude, I'm not joking around- this is some very serious crap. So either she sells out dirt cheap or she can lose far more than just everything.

I suggest you find a hydrologist or a civil engineer that likes beer and after a simple "trade" see is he can advise you. Certainly, before buying anything, consult with one of those two. There is a chance that if the contamination is already bad enough, you can do yourself some major world of hurt buying her rat shack.

Man, when you start messing around with ground water, that's a beast of a whole new species.

Be extremely careful and cautious before bringing governmental agencies into the discussion. Government has never been known to help a single problem and usually causes many. I know, I am an engineer.

/ Helpful neighbor! #184  
I have had the same issue in WA, and now in MD. I adopted hedge line battles that were not known to me...but it was clear the beautiful hedges were older than 10 years and had already established the line.

Not on the subject note though; why would anyone use barbed wire on a horse boundary? I've been in the horse business for 40 years, and that only spells dissaster for you, but you can put the knackers and vets children through college with that design.

Been having a running battle with a neighbor for 8-years now. Year after we bought this 5-acres next to us she sued us for adverse possession. Cost me $30,000.00 to beat her in court:mad:. She appealed to the state court, and lost there.:laughing:

Last week she cut every strands of my 630-feet long 5-strand barbwire fence, rolled it up and through it way on to my property:shocked:. Bent most of the T-posts over. And top it all off................Admitted it to the cop my wife called out! She said another County Sheriff told her if my fence was on her property, tear it down! Oh this is going to be fun!:licking:

/ Helpful neighbor! #185  
It would probably be good to install (in an inconspicuous place) a trail cam so you have some of the BS on video.

/ Helpful neighbor! #186  
She wouldn't tear up another of my fences. She would be arrested and I'd press charges. A few trail cameras and a video camera should prove everything in court.

/ Helpful neighbor! #187  
I am curious to know why she thought you had attained the property unlawfully. Picture 009.jpg

/ Helpful neighbor! #189  
That is special type of crazy you have there---maybe "bat sh%t" or "nucking futs", can;t be sure without a blood test.

You say it cost you 30,000 for the first court case!
Have either of you thought to hire a servaor to see who's property it is!
Land titles keeps these record!
You just bought perhaps your property stakes are in the wrong spot.
In any case she should sue not do will fill damage!
How far off does she say your fence is feet, yards or miles?
The land doesn't look like it is being used , not like either of you is farming right to the line!
Your just wasting money fighting!

/ Helpful neighbor! #190  
:) Only in Washington State. Maybe, just maybe with our new pot for all laws your can get her to pick the habit up and mellow out?
For most folks though you have to live here to understand the level of wackiness.
Nothing pisses off people like this more than keeping a smile on your face while you take it to them.