The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #141  
Is it hard on the double clamp versions to say grab a single big rock with the inside corner of each clamp?

Also are the clamps the same width on each of the sizes of double clamp?

Are the two clamps moved out on the bigger versions, or are there any pics comparing side by side different sizes in terms of clamp placement. Thanks, Bill

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!
Logically, it will put more strain on the lids to grab something like that because it will put pressure on one side, but I don't think it would hurt the grapple to occasionally do this. Throughout the punishment that Ted dealt when testing the grapple, no damage was done. I think that it would be better to grab it with one side or the other if you're dealing with an extremely heavy rock, log etc.

I'll let Roger(94bullitt) chime in if he's watching. I think I saw a pic of a big stump in between the lids of his grapple.

The clamps are 18" wide on all sizes of the dual lid grapples.

On the 54" and 60", the lids are 8.5" apart and on the 66" and 72", they are 17.5" apart.

The pic on the left is of a 54" grapple and the right is a larger model so you can see the difference in spacing.
IMG_20130828_115131_571.jpg2013-01-28_10-09-12_451.jpg

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #144  
Here is the stump Travis was talking about.

The tree was halfways up rooted. I had to finish digging it out.

I think the load would be off center trying to grab a big rock with one lid. It would make the tractor unstable. I would probably grab it in the middle. When you grab a log or even brush there is not always a even load put on the lid. The lids are pretty beefy. They are not open like alot of other grapples. Since the lids have the top and bottom guards it will help keep them from twisting. I can put the tractor in low range, 4WD, diff locked, lift and curl with the loader all at the same time and nothing gives on the grapple. It is indestructible on a compact tractor under normal operating conditions.

Last edited:
   / The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #145  
What type of hydraulic couplers are folks preferring on their grapples?

And are you using Male/female pairs to help connect the same way each time?

I have a KUbota OEM 3rd function installed on my new soon to be delivered tractor, and it comes without couplers in front. I am going to probably by the ETA root grapple, and want to think about which couplers I should use before I order it.

The rear remotes on my l5460 are the push on pull off ball type connections, which I am not very familiar with. My other hydraulic tools run 1/2 inch flat face couplers mostly.

I do like how these ball type are simpler to put on and off, although they seem to drip a bit when connected or disconnected (no biggie for as little as I'd be doing it).

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #146  
What type of hydraulic couplers are folks preferring on their grapples? Are you using Male/female pairs to help connect the same way each time?

yes and this also allows you to put the male into the female on the grapple so that it stays clean. I am using the AG 1/2 inch type. The ETA will come with one male and one female AG 1/2 inch type. Although I am sure you could talk them into what ever you like, perhaps at extra cost for the flat face.

James K0UA

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #147  
Does plugging the ends into eachother on the grapple ever have the sun warm up the fluid enough to make it hard to get apart or does the AG style connectors solve that problem?

I am torn between a single and double clamp grapple although the ETA single is a bit lighter duty than I have in mind. Love watching the single in action though, really a simple claw.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #148  
Does plugging the ends into eachother on the grapple ever have the sun warm up the fluid enough to make it hard to get apart or does the AG style connectors solve that problem?

I haven't had any trouble so far. I would think they would come apart OK any way even if they were pressurized by expansion. The trouble would be in putting them together again. Here is what I do. When I take them off of the tractor, and then start to push the male and the female from the implement together I hold them at the point the checkballs are engaged a bit but not locked in and let them "puke" a bit of fluid out before I finally put them together. I think this makes a "deficit" of fluid in the implement hoses. and if it does warm up, then the pressure won't be as much. I don't know this works for a fact, This is just an idea of mine, but I haven't had any trouble so far.

James K0UA

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #149  

I am torn between a single and double clamp grapple although the ETA single is a bit lighter duty than I have in mind. Love watching the single in action though, really a simple claw.

Get a 72" with flat faced couplers.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #150  
Did I miss something or was there a 10-15% increase in price on these grapples?