PROJECT: Building a grapple bucket for the LS

/ PROJECT: Building a grapple bucket for the LS
Well now the front bracket looks strong enough to find the the next weakest thing! :laughing:
LOL that's exactly right, that's the way I'm looking at it now. I figure by the time it breaks all the weak points this thing will be the heaviest duty grapple on the planet
:confused2:

Used it for about 15 minutes today moving various things and didn't break anything! Yaayyyy

I still may grab a less powerful cylinder, but so far so good

ForumRunner_20131003_130930.png

ForumRunner_20131003_130953.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw8mYcB46t8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbWeTLBIP5I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BuwyWYriUs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
btw ... So far, the total cost of this build is right around $430 for the bucket & cylinder, plus $160 for all hydraulic supplies. Total right around $600. Not too shabby!

:D

/ PROJECT: Building a grapple bucket for the LS #34  
Smaller cylinder...........less power............did you say those words out load and listen to them!:shocked:

Smaller cylinder...........less power............did you say those words out load and listen to them!:shocked:

LOL I know, I know. I just don't want to keep breaking the lid. Actually, when I get around to it I'm going to redesign the living in the house. I want to add a middle time and incorporate that into the attachment point for the cylinder for added strength and efficiency.

/ PROJECT: Building a grapple bucket for the LS #37  
Very nice!
Just curious what range/gear and idle you were running in that last #5 video.

Very nice!
Just curious what range/gear and idle you were running in that last #5 video.

Thanks! Medium range ... I think it was around 2000 rpm or so.

/ PROJECT: Building a grapple bucket for the LS #39  
when your adding that middle tine some teeth on the stringer between them might be a good addition to keep small stuff from slipping out.
quite possibly that bucket was made of high tensile steel and it got brittle when you welded on the bracket for the cyl.
Great project theres a lot of satisfaction in building you own.

/ PROJECT: Building a grapple bucket for the LS #40  
Well that really sucks you get all excited because the plan is coming together and then it talks back, man you got to hate that. So what are you going to do? I am not sure an angle would be enough, I would have to cut the brackets off straighten the ripped area weld a 3/8 or 1/2 plate the same width and the whole length across the bucket, but then again I am not there looking at the real problem. Oh by the way really good looking work I like the way you make the brackets that shows real talent.
I was gonna tell him to put a backing plate across it as well!!!! Another thing I would do is make that middle bracket again and this time just round off the back of you don't want it to have a square corner but that way you can then add two more support gussets on the back as well, also on your support gussets grind or cut the corners off on the inside that way water doesn't sit in there and make sure and wrap your welds also if your material your adding is say 3/8" then make sure your putting a 3/8"weld in.... That being said your doing a great job, quality fabrication and imagination, it's one thing to think up something and another to do that and then make it and make it work great job!!!!