My local newspaper is a big disappointment

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #11  
Well, Jim, the story needs to be told that if you do bad things, you go to jail and miss your family. Local newspapers only have the local niche market anymore. Without being able to read the entire story, and see its placement on the page, I can't tell if it had some tie-in to local interests or not. Overwhelmingly, in recent years, local newspapers have been told by their readers that they want more local stories and less national news. They're also being told that people would rather see an uplifting or touching story dealing with people that deserve the coverage on the front page, with the exception of breaking news stories like fires, killer on the loose, etc... I don't know if this guy was a locally know person or not. Certainly sounds like he's in prison for a good reason. Anything else happen in town that was a bigger/better story that day?

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #12  
As to Christmas, well Christians believe in Redemption of Sin, so there is that to think about. Jesus is for sinners too. Perhaps the writer was getting at that angle without being overt about it.

Redemption comes after repentance. Doesn't sound like Joey has repented.

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #13  
Very well written Jim...and Dennis, I LOVED the Sopranos, great TV imo. ('cept for that crappy no ending bs), to each their own.

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment
Anything else happen in town that was a bigger/better story that day?

David, as you guessed, the only other page 1 stories were that quick action by firefighters had saved a home, a county commissioner who was removed from his job for misappropriation of equipment, supplies, and manpower, and a photo of a Christmas parade. The entire 2nd page of the newspaper was a story about a police officer's family (widow and two daughters) who celebrate Christmas by having a huge blue ribbon on their front yard and all blue lights as decorations on their home and Christmas tree. The motorcycle officer was killed when a vehicle collided with him as he made a traffic stop. In my opinion, that would have made a far better front page story, but they chose to write about Mr. South and show a photo of his 13 yr old son talking to him via phone through a glass partition.

The remainder of the story taking up the entire 6th page included a photo of a smiling Mr. South and his Christmas card collection titled "Top Shelf" along with one of him mopping floors with the caption, "Trusted" beneath. The final photo was of his children waiting to visit along with his mother and wife. The story was primarily of how he was an exemplary prisoner, cooperating with his jailers and being a model citizen in this controlled environment. The story also went on to say that his current wife had married him in jail, with his mother standing up for him during the ceremony because he could not participate.

Mr. South is contrite and apologetic for his past lawlessness. He is yet to come to trial for his offenses. I'd sure like to hear something from the other side of the story. How about the impact on his victims and the cost dangers of the stolen weapons he denies having? I just think there is a lot more to be revealed. I'm not ready to tell him to "go and sin no more," if you get my drift.:rolleyes:

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #15  
All I can say is, I agree with you jinman! I hope your local paper takes note, and responds appropriately.

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #16  
Redemption comes after repentance. Doesn't sound like Joey has repented.

Joey didn't write the article. According to the sheriff, Joey says he is blessed. That's all I know. :)

I was trying to think of some reason the writer would chose that cover story for the Christmas edition. He must have had some thought in mind, and I don't think it was to glorify crime or criminals. Whatever the writer had in mind, he obviously missed the mark in getting that across to his readers.

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #17  
Whatever the writer had in mind, he obviously missed the mark in getting that across to his readers.

Agreed. It might have made an interesting human interest story somewhere in the newspaper, but on the front page?

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #18  
Yes, real human interest story.

Poor Criminal Stuck in Jail Living Off Hard Earned Tax Dollars! Ohh the Humanity!

Hahaha!!!
........and in other news the chicken train keeps rollin on.

and thats the rest of the story!:p

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #19  
I have no sympathy for those who are incarcerated. It's not that hard to stay out of jail, I do it without even trying. I understand there are those who have been convicted wrongly, but that's going to happen. Most prisoners need to be right where they are and most return when released.
As far as this article goes, I can't agree with you as I did not read it. I read only the excerpt you chose to clip. The link requires a log in and I don't care to subscribe to the publication.
I don't disagree with your position but without reading the article I can't assume what it says.

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #20  
I was trying to think of some reason the writer would chose that cover story for the Christmas edition. He must have had some thought in mind, and I don't think it was to glorify crime or criminals.

Could Joey's defense lawyer be a friend of the newspaper's editor/publisher?:rolleyes:

Steve