Giving up on 2750d blower

/ Giving up on 2750d blower #21  
Yeah, melt it then move it. What comes to mind is not beating on the blades, but breaking up what's jamming them. I think you could use an air driven chisel to break the jam quickly then back to plowing! JMHO. :thumbsup:

Wile I've never been one to discourage anyone from buying a new tool, I think an air hammer is a little extreme to break up one stone.
I wouldn't want to risk putting a bigger dent (or "dents" if you ever tried to control one of those things in a precision manner) in the housing for the next stone to get trapped in. Smooth is best, so hopefully the next one will continue on around & get expelled out the chute.

I'd say to first try a mallet to rotate the fan in either direction, or try to pry up on the fan to make enough room to dislodge the stone. If that doesn't work, I might try a few carefully placed blows on the stone with a center punch before I break out the air hammer.

/ Giving up on 2750d blower #22  
Wile I've never been one to discourage anyone from buying a new tool, I think an air hammer is a little extreme to break up one stone. I wouldn't want to risk putting a bigger dent (or "dents" if you ever tried to control one of those things in a precision manner) in the housing for the next stone to get trapped in. Smooth is best, so hopefully the next one will continue on around & get expelled out the chute. I'd say to first try a mallet to rotate the fan in either direction, or try to pry up on the fan to make enough room to dislodge the stone. If that doesn't work, I might try a few carefully placed blows on the stone with a center punch before I break out the air hammer.

The finesse technique is always a good first option. I would also squirt some oil around the obstruction to reduce friction for removal.

/ Giving up on 2750d blower #23  
Just a suggestion remove the front stabilizer that positions the auger drive. With it removed, four bolts, you should get enough flex at the rear bearing mount to remove the jamb. On my blower the fan shaft has a second hole that lines up with the shear pin that you can see just in front of the fan blade, you can use that to get an idea where the broken part of the fan shear pin is. A couple of taps with the new shear bolt is usually all that's needed to drive the broken parts out.

I don't know what I hit yesterday in the deep snow but whatever it was broke a shear pin on the auger and the fan flexed and bent the front auger stabilizer far enough that the drive chain jumped off the sprocket. Straightened it all out and replaced the shear pins and all is well. Check the fan blades, found one of mine bent close to the fan housing.

/ Giving up on 2750d blower
Success! I was able to drive the object out with a large crow bar and a 20 oz framing hammer. Took a dozen or so blows but all is free and the blower is ready to be reinstalled. I say object because I'm still wondering what it is and where it came from. It appears to be cast iron but it's pretty rusty and corroded. It almost looks like a tools hank of some sort. All I can say is of all the dumb luck, the odds of something like this happening must be about a million to one. Here's a picture of "the thing". [

image-4216653789.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Attachments

• image-1049110704.jpg
    image-1049110704.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 140
   / Giving up on 2750d blower #25  
Nor'Easter

Bob,

Now you got me thinking! I'm also in MA, we got 18" on nice powder. I spent a couple hours clearing my 400' driveway with the FEL. I was amazed at how inefficient it is to move snow with a loader. I have a Wheelhorse with a 44" blower but I didn't set that up this year as I wanted to use the new BX2370. After burning about 10 gals of Diesel I was considering getting a front blower for the BX but in light of your troubles, I may rethink my options!

I did get a soft side cab so at least I was warm and dry!! Sure I had fun, but to be honest, the Wheelhorse did a much nicer job in a fraction of the time!

Cheers,
P

/ Giving up on 2750d blower #26  
well, the shear pins did what there supposed to do. i wonder where you caught something like that spike in the impeller. Thats nasty. Cant blame the blower on this one.

/ Giving up on 2750d blower #27  
In retrospect the air hammer/chisel/impact tool may be a level 1 overkill, BUT I bought a small dialable air flow restrictor for my air impact, and it makes ALL the difference with this tool's control-ability! Now for jobs where I want some force, but not knock it out of the park I can dial it in and add more air, or less just by adjusting the dial where the hose connects to the fitting at the tool handle/QC.
FWIW.
Glad to hear you got the winersnitzel out of the 'works'! Go get her now!

well, the shear pins did what there supposed to do. i wonder where you caught something like that spike in the impeller. Thats nasty. Cant blame the blower on this one.

You are right this was just a freak occurance. It definitely makes me feel better about putting the blower back on to know that this was a rare event. We had our garage doors replaced a few weeks ago and all I can think is that it was some kind of debris left over from the construction crew.

Bob, Now you got me thinking! I'm also in MA, we got 18" on nice powder. I spent a couple hours clearing my 400' driveway with the FEL. I was amazed at how inefficient it is to move snow with a loader. I have a Wheelhorse with a 44" blower but I didn't set that up this year as I wanted to use the new BX2370. After burning about 10 gals of Diesel I was considering getting a front blower for the BX but in light of your troubles, I may rethink my options! I did get a soft side cab so at least I was warm and dry!! Sure I had fun, but to be honest, the Wheelhorse did a much nicer job in a fraction of the time! Cheers, P

I owned a Wheelhorse 520H with the blower on it for 5 years before buying my first BX. I never broke a single pin on the Wheelhorse so now I'm wondering if it even had pins. It would really throw snow but open station was a soggy cold spot to be. I love the BX's they are superior in many ways and having a cab is practically life changing. You will learn to use the loader more efficiently with time but it will always be slower than blowing ( factoring out shear bolt repairs LOL). I would hate to discourage you from getting a blower for the Kubota based on just my bad luck. Many people run them with little to no issues, or so I'm told anyway.

PS I sure don't miss installing the blower on the Wheelhorse tractor, that was a pain in the buttocks!

/ Giving up on 2750d blower #30  
Bob, when my new BX25 and BX2750D were going out to blow snow for the very first time I started off at maybe 2000 rpm. I went about 15 feet and sheared a fan bolt. So I changed it and in doing so I let the old shank drop into the bottom of the shroud. Well, I got back on the tractor, started her up, and engaged the pto. Thunk. The fan stopped dead; it never got spinning. WTF? And now the fan was locked and would not turn. I know how frustrated you can feel about your 2750D. After looking around a bit, I found the old shank jammed between the end of a fan blade and the shroud. So I blew a total of 15 feet and was on my third bolt! In the end I sheared 6 fan bolts that first winter.
This is an awesome snow removal tool. It will move tons of snow; I blew for 2 hours today. You just need to learn its idiosyncrasies and hang in there. A couple of things I did that helped me was to start running at WOT and I made some new skids which actually extend beyond the cutting edge. Since doing these 2 things I have reduced my fan bolt breakage to maybe one a year (1 auger bolt so far this year).
So don't give up on that blower!

View attachment 353104
View attachment 353103

Dean

Bob, when my new BX25 and BX2750D were going out to blow snow for the very first time I started off at maybe 2000 rpm. I went about 15 feet and sheared a fan bolt. So I changed it and in doing so I let the old shank drop into the bottom of the shroud. Well, I got back on the tractor, started her up, and engaged the pto. Thunk. The fan stopped dead; it never got spinning. WTF? And now the fan was locked and would not turn. I know how frustrated you can feel about your 2750D. After looking around a bit, I found the old shank jammed between the end of a fan blade and the shroud. So I blew a total of 15 feet and was on my third bolt! In the end I sheared 6 fan bolts that first winter.
This is an awesome snow removal tool. It will move tons of snow; I blew for 2 hours today. You just need to learn its idiosyncrasies and hang in there. A couple of things I did that helped me was to start running at WOT and I made some new skids which actually extend beyond the cutting edge. Since doing these 2 things I have reduced my fan bolt breakage to maybe one a year (1 auger bolt so far this year).
So don't give up on that blower!

View attachment 353104
View attachment 353103

Dean
if you would what are the dimensions of the skids and what material did you use....