Tier 4 tractors, any problems?

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #1  

Billy Bee

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 33, John Deere 3020
I have been shopping my local dealer for an R4041H and they do not have any more tier 3 models. In addition to the price increase, is there any issues inherent to the tier 4 engines? More fuel consumption? Less power? In reading these threads most guys are glad they didn't get the tier 4. More things to go wrong? Anyone with experience with the tier 4's? Hey TSO, nice Massey, wish I had a cab last Saturday plowing snow and pushing back the banks. Love your 4047 but I wont be ready for a new one 'til April or May, if I buy any more tractors before I sell the 2 I have I will wind up sleeping in the bucket. Luckily, the LS has a 6 foot bucket. [ you know. that stiff neck thing with shorter buckets ] I am learning a lot, thanks everyone for for your help. Bill

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #2  
I have the tier 4 tractor and the only problem so far is the little fuel return line sprung a leak, but that was a quick fix that could have happened to anything. I don't have a fuel consumption to compare it to but it runs really nice and
seems to have plenty of power. I have the xr4046hc. When it is running full open at pto speed (mowing) it burns fuel fast but it does have a 12 gallon tank. it lasts all day at full power. It doesn't seem to burn that much fuel for the afterburner, when I run it at lower rpm's it uses about a 1/2 gal. per hour. my car is way worse than that.

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #3  
I just bought the tier 4 XR3037 with a cab, haven't put too many hours on it yet, but have used it for plowing snow, the DPH light comes on every once in a while,the afterburner has come on a couple of times, fuel consumption seems to be about the same as my 29 hp NH 9x3, only I am a whole lot more comfortable with the cab!! Had to take my hat and coat off last Saturday and turn the heater down! What a problem!! I did originally get the XR4040, the DPH light stayed on quite a while, the dealer is checking it out, the tractor seemed to be a little sluggish with all of the weight and rim gard, although I did not use it much, if the dealer would have had a XR4046, I would have gone that route even though the 4040 barely fit under my barn door opening. So far I am very happy with the 3037, the dealer made me a great deal and I will consider adding the 4046 at a later date. BTW, I shopped all of the dealers within a couple of hours from me, both new and used, studied the reviews and the warranties and prices, I have both a green and orange dealer within 15 minutes, they were about $14k to $15k higher with less warranty than the LS, kind of makes you think you are missing something about the deal and makes you look under every rock to see where you are missing the scam, but, there isn't one, their fit and finish is just as good if jot better, the inside of the cab is on a par with Kubota, JD's are a little nicer inside, but, for the price difference, I can buy 1/2 of another LS cab tractor with more HP, or almost buy an open station outright just in case they breakdown like the JD dealer tells me will happen! Maybe that's why his service dept is full of tractors being worked on and his service mgr tells he is booking about 3 weeks out for appts, hmmmm, what's wrong with that picture??

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems?
What is a DPH light? My local dealer is only 6 miles away, so I'm pretty sure I will go with LS. I am convinced they are the best bang for the buck. The dealer also sells Kubota, although they don't have any at this location. [ a recently opened second location ] I didn't even consider Kubota as everyone says how pricey they are. The dealer wouldn't take trade ins on the LS. He said the margin is too small. I didn't ask about the orange ones. The weather around here is so crappy I don't even want to go shopping for tractors. Now that is really crappy 'cause I've got a bad case of " Tractor Fever " and there is only one cure...........
Bill

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #5  
You can try Barlows on the Kubota... Shipped they were about 2.5K cheaper on a 25K setup..... and that was shipped!

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems?
You can try Barlows on the Kubota... Shipped they were about 2.5K cheaper on a 25K setup..... and that was shipped!

Where is Barlows? What would be the equivalent Kubota to an LS 4041 h? 41 hp. HST with FEL
Thanks, Bill

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #7  
Barlows is in KY. Just search on here and I'm sure you'll find a post or 500. Great guys. I probably should have bought the Kubota and if I did it was going to be from them, no question. As far as what is comparable, you're talking to a noob. I'm just a good shopper. I would hit kubotas website. As a guide the tractor I priced was over 32k list and they priced it at 26k shipped to STL MO.

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #8  
What is a DPH light? My local dealer is only 6 miles away, so I'm pretty sure I will go with LS. I am convinced they are the best bang for the buck. The dealer also sells Kubota, although they don't have any at this location. [ a recently opened second location ] I didn't even consider Kubota as everyone says how pricey they are. The dealer wouldn't take trade ins on the LS. He said the margin is too small. I didn't ask about the orange ones. The weather around here is so crappy I don't even want to go shopping for tractors. Now that is really crappy 'cause I've got a bad case of " Tractor Fever " and there is only one cure...........
Bill
Bill, I mistyped last night, it's a DPF light which is the Tier 4 emissions, the system has an "auto re-great ion mode" where the cat converter burns off the execs sunburned fuel and turns it into soot ( that's when you see the DPF temperature indicator come on every once in a while), it doesn't affect the performance, just makes the tractor more expensive and keeps the tree hungers happy. You can see the system when you lift the hood, it's the big silver canister on top of the valve cover, the nice thing is that it places the air filter canister more forward for cleaning/changing the filter! The new Shibaura engine is great, it's a lot like my NH and it's been a good one! Believe me, I priced every cab tractor out there and found all of the discounts, Kubota was actually higher than John Deere for similar units, even after meeting with factory rep and the closest dealer (about 10 minutes from the house and practically across the street from my small farm!), they were $14k more money on the 40hp and $12k more on the 35 hp than the LS units and both were with no hydraulics in the back, no rear lights/rear wiper and no radio!! Sure the Kubota has the HST dual trans and load match, I don't need it and it sounds expensive if it breaks, the JD cab was a little nicer, the Kubota cab was about the same as the LS BUT the LS has a whole lot better warranty! Some day the LS tractors will be more expensive, they are getting a foot hold, their quality will make them a contender before long.

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #9  
I have been shopping my local dealer for an R4041H and they do not have any more tier 3 models. In addition to the price increase, is there any issues inherent to the tier 4 engines? More fuel consumption? Less power? In reading these threads most guys are glad they didn't get the tier 4. More things to go wrong? Anyone with experience with the tier 4's? Hey TSO, nice Massey, wish I had a cab last Saturday plowing snow and pushing back the banks. Love your 4047 but I wont be ready for a new one 'til April or May, if I buy any more tractors before I sell the 2 I have I will wind up sleeping in the bucket. Luckily, the LS has a 6 foot bucket. [ you know. that stiff neck thing with shorter buckets ] I am learning a lot, thanks everyone for for your help. Bill

My local dealer just received two brand new 4041H models with the tier 3 engines this past week. He still isn't stocking any tier 4 models. He said he is purchasing all the tier 3 models he can get. You might check out Tri-County Tractor in Russiaville, Indiana. Family owned shop, nice folks.

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #10  
Bill: the tier4 motor certainly isn't what sold me on the tractor, I looked at several new Kubotas with the tier3 and they were either clear across the country so the freight was going to be a killer and negate any price savings that there might have been, I was sold on the idea of a CUT for my small 10 acres and for manure and snow plow work and an occasional post hole or field mowing, the LS CUT tractors didn't come out until September '13, the JD 3520 is what I settled on, couldn't find a used one that was a reasonable price, the new ones were scarce and the dealers were holding the price on them, the horse/ farm/ranch discount program from John Deere seems like dart board with no exact program, the used cab Kubotas I looked at were well used for not having many hours on them, I looked at Tym, Branson and Kioti, heard and read all of the horror stories about parts availability, service/ repair work, electrical problems etc, then I discovered LS, we had a Montana, Tym dealer about 2 miles from the house, he was a weirdo and never did much business( just like the JD dealer across the hwy from him) I looked those Montana's over pretty good, watched what was in the shop all the time which were the Tyms and across the hwy was the JD 3000 series, the new JD dealer 9 miles away, is a guy that I have done business with for 30+ years for Ford, NH Kubota and Cub, well he also owns a JD dealership in Colo Springs, JD forced him to drop everything to have two JD dealerships, now you see a lot of the 3000 series in the shop for work, not maintenance, but work. So I took a while to study LS, found out that they are a division of a big Korean conglomerate, which happens to have ties with Hyundai, which perked my ears up since I have been a factory rep for them for 24 years! I researched their quality, service problems (actually lack of) talked to my counterpart with LS ( who used to own two small town JD dealerships!!) and went and visited the two closest LS dealers in CO. The closest one to me is just south of Colo Spgs, he had two XR3720's and one XR4040 and a P series cab tractors and a lot of open station tractors in stock, he used to be a Montana rep, had dropped both Jimma and Tym for the LS franchise, where his dealership is located is about the same altitude as where I live, 6300 feet, the 4040 is nice and beefy, about the same size as the old 3000 I sent to my 60 acre horse farm for my daughter and son in law, I did some trading and bought it, it barely went under the doorway to our barn, so back to look at the 3037, he swapped me out, saved me some $$, it has plenty of power with the turbo and less overall weight. I am also considering adding an XR4046 later for the kids farm. Now to your original questions, the tier 4 has the very proven Shibaura motor that NH used for years, it's very reliable, plenty of power etc, I can't really tell if fuel consumption is a lot worse than my old NH, for the amount of hours that I use a tractor, I keep the tank fuel full going into fall, keep a few 5 gal cans full in the shop and add when they get to about 3/4 full, the 3037 now has 6 hours on it, I have added about 3 gallons for about 4 hours of use in plowing snow, the only thing that I don't like on either the 4040 or the 3037 is the DPF light coming on in the dash to tell you that it's working, something that I'm just not used to, the trade off for the cab and heater and the $12 to $14k less that I spent with a lot more extra equipment ( front and rear aux lights, rear wiper, radio, engine block heater, rim gard, two hydraulic outlets all included) makes me smile when I watch my neighbor down the road get on his JD 3520 that I know he paid $35,500 for (it was a Denver stock show demo, 'cause I looked at it and he bought it when I didn't!!) and listen to him and the JD dealer tell me my LS won't appreciate in value! Ha, I still have my first used tractors that I bought in1982!!! Sorry for the very long post, but, I think that I did my homework well after about 7 months of shopping and researching everything. Good luck in your descision! Rohn