Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,771  
Brandi,
Did they teach you about "volume" in school?
What I said was: Originally Posted by pacerron View Post
Her recipe is a full cup of water with 1/2 cup sugar added so it is really about a 3:1 ratio of mixed volume.

1/2 cup of sugar equals 4 oz. volume.
1 cup of water equals 8 oz. volume.
When the syrup is mixed together 1/3 of the ingredients by volume is sugar, thus a 3:1 ratio of mixed volume.
The total volume when mixed will be less than 1.5 cups.

Ron, I'm afraid this time you're mistaken and Brandi was right. I hope you don't use your formula to mix gasoline and oil for 2 cycle engines.:laughing: A 3 to 1 ratio means 3 of one thing and 1 of the other.

However, I can see your point about the sugar dissolving, so it does not displace as much volume as it did before mixing, so you have less than 1.5 cups of the final mixture.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,772  
One of my favorite stories(my wife is not fond of it, but it is funny). My wife is very smart and well educated(I married well above my station). Valedictorian of her all girl Catholic HS, Northwestern University, but she doesn't put on airs and fits in really well here in East Texas.

One year I asked here when she was going to fill up the HB feeders, and she replies that she'll get some food made up for them this afternoon. When she fills the feeder she states "That ought to bring them in."

A couple of days later I notice I haven't seen any HB and I mention it to her. She says that she has seen a few and they just flew around the feeder then left and she wonders what the problem is. I asked if she used the same recipe as she did the year before. She said yes it was the same except she didn't have any sugar, so she used Nutra-sweet. 30 minutes later I was able to stop laughing and pick myself up off the ground and explain to her that it wasn't sweet taste that brought them in it was the calorie boost.

The few that we saw the rest of that year were very skinny.

Charlie

Charlie, I wouldn't tell that story at too many cocktail parties where your wife is present. You might find yourself on an extended diet. . . and sleeping alone.:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,773  
I just had a contractor leave after 2 hours of talk, measuring, and writing a contract. We have decided to add siding to the outside of our house and have chosen 27ga steel siding. It's very expensive, but will really add value to our house and make a huge reduction in maintenance. At the same time, the contractor will check our roof and make any fastener repairs to the metal as needed. It's been 12 years since the roof was new and I think it's time to make sure it is still solid and ready to withstand another 12 years. The siding on my multi-story house, the eaves all finished, and roof repairs will be expensive, but money well-spent in my opinion. I just had to realize that there are other things I want to do than stain siding every couple of years. This will make my life much easier. The siding will also add another layer of foam insulation and all corners/cracks sealed. The house will be tighter and more energy efficient. The latest designs in steel siding look just like wood.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,774  
Jim, I can remember many years ago when my parents had steel siding put on their house in Ardmore, OK. The house was built in 1922 or 23 and that steel siding was a great improvement.

And for the house we're currently in (been here a little over 8 years) I had vinyl siding installed to cover everything outside that isn't brick. I just have no desire to do anymore exterior painting and staining.

Of course, I've seen your house and I think you're making a wise decision. Your house is pretty as is, but I sure wouldn't want the maintenance to keep it that way.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#5,775  
Jim, do you have a link for info on that siding?

BTW 87* !! but soon to change....again:banghead:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,776  
Bird, when I built this house, I should have gone with metal or vinyl siding from the beginning. However, I was so enamored with the wood look that I thought I could maintain it. Little did I know the level of maintenance it would require. I've learned my lesson. I'll just admit it and move on. Between my gardens and my pond building, I have plenty to keep me busy. If we get some rain, I'll be even busier. However, I'll still have plenty of work to do on my decks and rails.:rolleyes

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,778  
Ron, I'm afraid this time you're mistaken and Brandi was right. I hope you don't use your formula to mix gasoline and oil for 2 cycle engines.:laughing: A 3 to 1 ratio means 3 of one thing and 1 of the other.

However, I can see your point about the sugar dissolving, so it does not displace as much volume as it did before mixing, so you have less than 1.5 cups of the final mixture.

Thanks Bird.:thumbsup: I know I am a blond.:D But for a moment, Ron had me thinking I was getting blonder.:eek:
I think the French and Airbus use that formula for "glueing" their planes together.:eek: "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.":2cents:
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,779  
Jim,
Without looking it up on the website, how many years is the color guaranteed? The RED "tin" on my barn has a 30 year color guaranteed. You are right on the expensive part, but I'm happy so far with my "tin".
I am really interested in all the PVC house trim you can get now. Easy to work with for sure. Also I am learning more on Hardi siding. I have always wanted a log house, but your right on the upkeep. I'll do anything to have more time digging and mucking out ponds. Way more fun.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#5,780  
Thanks Bird.:thumbsup: I know I am a blond.:D But for a moment, Ron had me thinking I was getting blonder.:eek:
I think the French and Airbus use that formula for "glueing" their planes together.:eek: "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.":2cents:
hugs, Brandi

Brandi, if you dont have "white-out" all over your PC screen, then your not blonde enough:D