Loader Don't let this happen to you.

/ Don't let this happen to you. #71  
....... operators that used them every single day quickly developed a feel for proper torque with each individual wrench and I would wager that final torques on any and all vehicles were within 5 ftlb of the correct values. .....

- Jay

This was an ongoing argument when I was a teen ager in the early 1950's. An older long-time mechanic made a bet that he could correctly torque the head bolts on a flat head Ford with an air impact wrench. We checked his work with a torque wrench and they varied from a low of 25 psi to near 120 psi. He paid off on the bet.

/ Don't let this happen to you. #72  
I have been delaying this, but I think it might help someone.

In 1987, I had a flat on the rear tire of my 4450 JD and had a tire repair shop come out to the farm to fix it. After they dismounted the tire and got the tube off, we discovered the wheel had a long crack right down the middle where the clamps are that hold the steel wheel to the casting. I had it welded and re-installed it. We torqued the bolts down to the recommended torque. I took it to the field to plow and re-torqued the bolts after about 1/4 mile. They were all loose. I did this for probably two days, and each time they were loose. I had marked the bolts and nuts and the nuts were not backing off. It was just the wheel and the wedges working into a position where they were not tight. After several times of tightening, they finally stayed tight. They had probably been loose causing the wheel to flex and crack. I never had any more trouble, but after that, I always carried a 350 lb. torque wrench and sockets on the tractor and used them on tractor and plow to check things daily.

/ Don't let this happen to you. #73  
Maybe in some cases, but not universally true. When my dad ran a tire shop all wheels were reinstalled with an air-powered torque wrench with only an occasional check with a torque wrench. The shop air pressure was always the same within a narrow range. IR wrenches and CP wrenches did result in different torques, but operators that used them every single day quickly developed a feel for proper torque with each individual wrench and I would wager that final torques on any and all vehicles were within 5 ftlb of the correct values. Of course, one needed to be mindful of the wheel stud diameter and adjust the "feel" accordingly.

- Jay

Yeah, not buying it....no way. Maybe your Dad's tire shop was the exception, but most have guys putting lug nuts on with the impact gun set to the same setting they use to take lug nuts off....maxed out. There is no "feel" for torque with an impact wrench...just a wild guess, if that.

Ever wonder why brake rotors warp so often on cars and light trucks? Lug nuts cranked down way too tight is the most common culprit, not hard use.

/ Don't let this happen to you. #74  
By the way, laws on wheel torque are to ensure they are tight enough to stay tight, not loose enough to easily remove. I've had lugs loosen and ruin a $300 wheel center and 8 wheel studs. So, I'd rather spin them down hard. Just my opinion.

As has since been said don't tighten with one.

I'm a shade tree mechanic (oil changes, antifreeze replacement, spark plugs). I've done things like a carb rebuild, brake replacements and the basic Chilton manual stuff, but I know my limits. I have a nice Craftsman ratchet/wrench set, and other assorted tools as needed. But I shouldn't need an impact wrench to get a tire off a car or just about anything else under normal circumstances. If it has sat in the field for five years, yeah, sure. But a daily driver on a regular vehicle -- I find it unacceptable.

Why should I need an impact wrench for it?

/ Don't let this happen to you. #75  
The dealer found a NOS LA682 loader. There are actually two of them available in the US; well, one now. Kubota recommended a different valve assembly, not sure why unless the flow rate is different, but the bucket on the LB552 will work on the LA682.

Good deal, glad to hear your going to get it going again:)

Let us know when her back is healed up:thumbsup:

/ Don't let this happen to you. #76  
On topic of torquing and wheels;
We recycled an old camping trailer but needed to fix a flat.
On the left side the lugs were so tight we snapped one off using a long cheater and gave up.
The mechanic snapped another lug with his air gun.
Then we discovered that that side had left hand threads! Go figure.
Once we cleaned up the remaining lugs we discovered the letter 'L' stamped on the head.

/ Don't let this happen to you.
Tire stores around here use the color coded torque limiting extensions which flex when the correct torque is reached, preventing overtightening by the impact wrench.

/ Don't let this happen to you. #78  
Then we discovered that that side had left hand threads! Go figure.
Once we cleaned up the remaining lugs we discovered the letter 'L' stamped on the head.

Geez those things were a pain...

/ Don't let this happen to you. #79  
Wheel net torque can vary greatly from vehicle to vehicle. Some are as low as 65ftlb and some are as high as 350ftlb on some light duty trucks.. You need to follow the manufacturers spec and use a quality torque wrench. If you are using an impact you don't have an idea how tight they are.

Ratchets, Sockets & Wrenches | Sockets-Sets | Sunexョ 1/2" Dr. Torque Limited Socket Set, 2880, 10-Piece, Alloy Steel | B982752 - GlobalIndustrial.com

Torque limiting extensions.

/ Don't let this happen to you. #80  
I have to say that as a Journeyman mechanic I have a VERY good feel for my air tools and where they stop at. My 1/2" gun on setting 3(of 4) will start to kick out around 80Ft/lbs and if I let hammer for a bit will go to almost 100. HOWEVER, after putting the wheel on with the impact gun I go over them again with a torque wrench and set the final torque. Its not worth my job to risk a wheel coming off. There's nothing wrong with putting a tire on with an impact provided the final torque is done with a torque wrench.