Motorola Talkabout handheld radios for the farm.

/ Motorola Talkabout handheld radios for the farm. #61  
My wife and I had a set of those when we lived in an RV over ten years ago. We got them to help guide me into back-in parking spots. They communicated just fine, but I found her instructions confusing and gave up on them. We left them with our hosts at an RV park in Kansas. They used them a couple of times, but found communication spotty between the house and the park 1/4 mile away, and put them in a drawer.

They're still in the drawer, so maybe I'll get them back to try again on our property. My SIL and I could find them handy for talking to each other when trying to use my Brush Grubber. Cell phones don't work well at the property, and we will be working within feet of each other, him on the ground and me in the tractor.

/ Motorola Talkabout handheld radios for the farm. #62  
You also may want to check out "Marine" hand held.Water-proof,more range and have the weather channel.
Also can be use for a boat if needed. A little more money,but if you purchase rechargeable you will save that in batteries.We use ours year round(the local coyote hound hunters use them all winter)

/ Motorola Talkabout handheld radios for the farm. #63  
Keep in mind that if you get something other than the GMRS family of radios you may have to get the appropriate license.

/ Motorola Talkabout handheld radios for the farm. #64  
Keep in mind that if you get something other than the GMRS family of radios you may have to get the appropriate license.
No license required for marine radios.We have had good luck with Uniden,you can buy them anywhere....Cabelas ,Amazon ect.
You may want a fishing license if you are on your boat fishing but no "radio" license is required.

/ Motorola Talkabout handheld radios for the farm. #65  
Anyone put old fashion CB in the tractor and base station at house. I have been looking at that idea vs using sporting type FM radios. HS
Yup - midland 75-822
I've been an advocate of good 2 way coms since the early '70's. When I plan a multiple vehicle trip I still like to have a pair of radios for when cell phone coverage drops out. But around the house and shops cell and cordless phones work pretty good.

If your going to be using on the tractor check out the Midland 75-822 40 Channel Handheld CB as a strong alternative. It's bigger but it's a full blown CB. I got one in 2011 and have tested it on battery pack as a "walk about hand-held" and it worked fine. But I mainly use it in my car and truck driving to and from Mississippi. There have been many times it's got me in sync with truckers to get around traffic jams. And it swaps between vehicles easily.

I've also got an older 4 pack of the Motorola's FRS radios which I've used on several occasions. But SWMBO would rather use a cell phone.

Also - we had 4 children back before cell phones. Used to use the small handheld CB's in the bigger malls.

This thread reminded me that I have a set. I bought them before my wife and I moved across country last time. I was in my truck, pulling the cargo trailer, and she was in her SUV with the dogs. We could stay within about a mile of each other (roughly) and still be able to talk...made picking rest stops, etc a lot easier. I dusted them off yesterday because there are a lot of times when I'm in the barn, or on the other side of the property, and she's trying to find me....these will help with that.
We did a trip from Virginia beach to Nova Scotia back about '93 w/ 2 vans. The handheld CB's were of great use.

GMRS requires a license. FRS doesn't. Apparently those who buy licenses get picky with those who don't.
If you did not pay the fee you will probably be hunted down by people who have paid the fee. We call the people who cant play by the rules Bubble Pack Pirates. If you are found on channels 15-22 on a bubble pack radio without the proper identification someone will find you and report you and you can probably expect a nasty-gram from the FCC.

The benefits of having a GMRS license is that it covers the licensee and their family. That's $85 for 5 years to license an ENTIRE FAMILY. Having the license gives you access to repeaters, 50 watt radios and no antenna limitations. Additionally, with a GMRS license you will be able to make use of the "Travel Channel" on 462.675/467.675 using 141.3 PL. Additionally, many emergency radio groups such as REACT and Skywarn also use GMRS. GMRS makes an excellent alternative when users don't want to get involved with Amateur Radio and just need communications throughout the local area. Although, the local area can be as small as the range between handheld radios or as large as an area over several counties through a repeater. In my area, we have a repeater that can be used in parts of 4 states and completely covers an area about 50 miles around without obstruction such as mountains. I have personally used the repeater as far as 140 miles away from a high knob and 35 watts.
When I looked into it 5 years ago running GMRS without a license was like going 5 miles/hr over the speed limit.

/ Motorola Talkabout handheld radios for the farm. #66  
Subscribed.

/ Motorola Talkabout handheld radios for the farm.
Anyone else giving the radios a try?

/ Motorola Talkabout handheld radios for the farm. #68  
I'm thinking about using Marine VHF.
I've got 2 handhelds (1Watt/200 milliwatts) and a Base unit (25/1 Watt).
Technically illegal, but...:shhh:

/ Motorola Talkabout handheld radios for the farm. #69  
I'm thinking about using Marine VHF.
I've got 2 handhelds (1Watt/200 milliwatts) and a Base unit (25/1 Watt).
Technically illegal, but...:shhh:

What's illegal about using marine VHF radios?

/ Motorola Talkabout handheld radios for the farm. #70  
Marine radios are legally only to be used for marine mobile communications, license required for land stations. Not heavily enforced unless you are reported interfering with Coast Guard or professional mariners. Have read reports of $10,000.00 Federal enforced fines. They take it very serious in some coastal locations. Use a your own risk. KJ4YVZ