Had a close call in January.

/ Had a close call in January. #1  

Redneck in training

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM 330 HST with FEL
I am almost 66 years old. Based on doctor report I am in very good health. I have never been seriously sick until very recently. It is a story about how generally healthy guy can die just few months before retiring.
Here it goes. I commission control systems for living. The job requires worldwide travel, lot of idle sitting in the office and very little physical effort.
I was working in UAE last year. The job was not going well and it was hot outside so I tended to stay in AC in my office doing very little. One day while walking to breakfast I couldn't keep balance and everything around me was spinning for a while (based on what happened few months later I most likely had a mini stroke). I went to see a doctor who told me I have typical symptoms of dehydration and gave me prescription for electrolytes. Nevertheless even after a week of electrolyte therapy I felt out of shape, tired and could not climb three flights of stairs without stopping. I attributed it to the heat and kind of ignored the symptoms. My next job was in Venezuela. It was the same story. They couldn't get the plant started; it was hot and humid so I again just sat in the office surfing internet for about six weeks. Because I felt even worse than in UAE I avoided physical activity as much as I could. Fortunately the client decided to release us home for the holidays. I made it home one day before Christmas and wrecked all the holidays by being grumpy, throwing presents on the people just to be done with it and by general unpleasantness. About a week later on Saturday my left calf swelled and was painful. My wife, despite my resistance, made me to go to hospital emergency. The doctor just looked at my leg and me and immediately put me on the wheeled bed and told me not to move. They gave me a shot of something, did ultrasound and found two blood clots. One behind my knee and one in my ankle. Next they put me on CAT scan and found bunch of small blockages in my lungs and lungs almost full of liquid. I was told that if I would wait till Monday to see a doctor I could have been dead sometime on Sunday. I spent about a week in hospital before they let me use toilet by myself and released me home. Now six month later I am still on Varfarin, have to have my blood checked for INR every week while working in another tropical country where it is hot and humid. The job is again not going well but I have my daily routine walking around climbing stairs etc to get at least some exercise.
I apologize for typing the story in such a detail. I don't want you feel sorry for me. It was self-inflicted injury. I want you to learn from my experience. Sitting and doing nothing can kill even generally healthy guy. So guys and girls out there keep moving so you can live. And if you have symptoms like I described go and see doctor before it si too late.

/ Had a close call in January. #2  
Glad you're here to share this advice!

/ Had a close call in January. #3  
I'm glad to hear they caught things in time! I too have a sedentary job but am blessed to have a wife that pushes me to exercise daily. As a nurse she has seen the effects of people not doing so, and doesn't want that for us. Best of luck to you! I hope for better health for you in your future!

/ Had a close call in January. #4  
That hospital trip was way better than a lottery ticket - you have to still be around to spend those !

In your circumstance, I'd suspect that you're following a physician recommeded exercise routine.

In the general public, there is can be a bit of an exercise elitism - by that I mean some people think that unless you are running marathons, or bench pressing 400#, then you are not "exercising" - which can lead to some folks not doing anything for exercise. Just half an hour of continuous walking every day could help many people a great deal.

Best wishes on your continued recovery, and thank-you for sharing that wake up call.

Rgds, D.

/ Had a close call in January. #5  
Your blood clots could have been caused by the long flights sitting for several hours on a plane is most common cause of blood clots in the legs. This is quite common according to medical reports. These could have then moved to other parts of the body. If you aren't already flying business class, see about getting upgraded for health reasons. Otherwise get up and walk around for 10-15 minutes at least every hour or 2 and do the stretches that are described in most airline magazines to keep the blood flowing from your legs.
I am glad you caught the issue in time for sure, but continue to watch those long flights and sedentary activities. Get up and walk around for 5 minutes every hour even when sitting at your desk. It will make you more alert also so you can be better at internet surfing.

/ Had a close call in January. #6  
Good luck Redneck. Traveling jobs can be an unhealthy life, what with all the sitting in airports, meetings etc. So now you can make some adjustments.
Cheers,
Mike

/ Had a close call in January. #7  
Lucky Man!! Good luck!

I started drinking a lot of water several years ago after getting kidney stones, and I find the side benefit is that I have to make at least hourly trips to the restroom. Lots of walking just for that reason alone.

/ Had a close call in January. #8  
Very happy to be reading your story instead of your obituary!

I believe we human critters were designed to move around a whole bunch more than our modern lifestyles take into account. Not to mention modern food products - a whole 'nother rant. TAKE CARE!

/ Had a close call in January. #9  
Know the feelin, last January as well. If the viral cardio mitosis had hit me at night instead of in the day time . I could have died in my sleep.

/ Had a close call in January. #10  
Good to hear your wife is taking care of you/making you take care of yourself Ladia. :D Hope you stay well and on top of the normal things that come with age.