anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior?

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #1  

867G1

Tractor
none
anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior?

I am getting estimates for a 1000 ft run of crusher run/crush and run and a
paving business was telling me they have a much better material
called superpack. the story was State Hwy depts like GA use
this all the time and this contractor says he buys 300 truckloads.
By the way this contractor wants to give me only a verbal job estimate
and says he will figure out the bill "when it is all done".
was he giving me fairy tales about this "superpack" too?
anyone heard of it?

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #2  
Re: anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior?

I wouldnt do it without it in writing,no surprises.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #3  
Re: anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior?

The same material will have different names in different areas across the country so its tough to tell you if its good or bad without knowing what it is made of.
I would guess he is pushing his material because he does have 300 loads siting in his yard somewhere. I am not saying its good or bad. I would get an estimate in writing for the job that includes a listed amount of material and labor. Tell him thats what they make change orders for if he needs additional material to do the job properly. He might be worried that he may run into problems that may require additional work/material. My recommendation is agree on a price for a stated amount of work and a stated amount of material. If he will need to do more work or use more material he will need to let you know what needs to be done prior to the additional work starting. At that time its up to you on what you want to do. In the end you will have no surprises this way everyone will be happy. You hear to many stories about homeowners being mad at contractors and contractors mad at homeowners. When everything is in writing both parties know what will take place and at what price. It also makes it fair for everyone providing you with estimates to compare apples to apples . Hope this helps.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #4  

It's probably a well graded and screened mixture of crushed rock that will pack very well.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #5  

Funny there's no mention of the word on Google except in the context of cardboard boxes.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #6  

Haven't heard the term "superpack," but crusher run can be made from several different types of stone, so some may compact better than others. I'd call a few quarries and just ask them if they've heard of the term. Let us know what you finally conclude about this, if you have a chance.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #7  

I'm here in Georgia...I have never heard of Super Pack....I think I'd get with a couple of other gravel haulers...call your local quarry and ask them about this super pack and ask for a good hauler to haul and spread it from his truck bed for you....I have used Crusher Run for years...and it packs like concrete ..make sure it is wet to pack it....Be careful with that fella...Good Luck.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #8  

Pretty much ditto what others said.

Ask him what number the stone is? that should tell alot. I think that all stone from the quarries has numbers. Like 304's and 411's are the two here that most people refer to as "crusher run". I think the 411's is 3/4" minus (3/4" down to dust) and the 304's are 1-1/2" minus. Both pack really well. I think the 304's are used for thicker layers as they have some larger stones that wont pack in if doing a thin layer or top coat.

Also ditto on the estimate. Get it in writing. It is called an "estimate" for a reason. He is "estimating" what it will cost. But things happen, good or bad, that may require deviating from the original scope of work. But that needs to be discussed prior to him just doing the work and billing for it. Then in the end, everyone is happy.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #9  

What packs real well here and gets like "concrete" is called "rotten rock" in this area. This is not just a processing method but comes from a particular vein of hardpan as well. Ask him where it's being trucked in from if indeed it is not just a purely processed gravel material. There was a guy up here delivering a product he called "Hardpak". This was river run silt that he added pea stone and clay to. It did get quite packed down after a while.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #10  
My GUESS is its similar to a product called EZbase. EZbase is a coal power plant by product from the limerock burnt in the scrubbers. JEA (Jacksonville Electric Authority) was selling it for as low as $1/ton picked up (dump truck oof coarse, sure they didn't want 100s of random Joe's in pick ups in there yard). Now, here's the catch... it was used on some FDOT projects I understand, but it freaked out the civilians when they found out the fine dusts where a cancer risk, and rumor had it a very very very mild radioactive. They required the bare base to be watered too prevent dust. I don't think they still sell it, and I never personally used it. It was suppose too hydrate and set up like a soil cement.

This is all 3rd hand, and I'm not sure I it's the same product as what your talking about. If paving it; or at least priming and sanding it, I would use it (personally I wouldn't be scared to use it).

Just trying to help, and it might be a totally different material.