Good news and a dilemma?

/ Good news and a dilemma? #11  
Tell them the truth, but be professional about it. You were offered, and accepted, a better job at another employer. They don't need to know more than that, nor should you say anything that could burn any bridges.
This^
I gave my 2 weeks notice at my current job last week to go to another and that's pretty much what I did.

Aaron Z

/ Good news and a dilemma? #12  
If they treated me bad, I wouldn't care about the bridge I'm about to burn. You're not going back anyway so it doesn't matter. I've never been fired (yet) and only laid off once for 6 months in 20+ yrs. I've walked out of a few shops when they were loaded with work for more $$$ someplace else. Thats why your tool box has wheels. One shop offered me $5/hr more but it was still time to go. Theres never a good time for an employer to lose a great employee. If mom needed help and you can afford it. I'd tell them this afternoon this Friday is my last day and never look back.

/ Good news and a dilemma? #13  
<snip>What's a good way to handle giving my notice?

Tell them that you are thankful for the opportunities that you encountered during your tenure there, and move on. I have hired hundreds of people and (unfortunately) had to fire my share also. I have also been hired dozens of times and fired once. I have never been around an employee leaving a company where the company benefited from criticism (constructive or otherwise). I have been around many dozens where it was perceived (rightly or wrongly) that the employee was taking potshots or cheap shots on the way out the door. I have worked at places where they asked the employees for ways that they could improve things, and yet nothing changes and the ex-employee is typically talked about as "good riddance".

Think about it this way, if someone were to ever call the previous employer, would they say "he was a good employee and we would re-hire him if the opportunity arose" or "he worked here for XYZ period of time" and nothing else, or worse, "No, we wouldn't rehire him"...

/ Good news and a dilemma? #14  
I have friends and relatives, my wife included, that did the right thing, they say, and give a week or two notice. Then they get it rammed to them by the company walking them out the door on the spot.

On the other hand, I have at least one acquaintance who took a couple weeks vacation and go work for another place just to see if they like it before they give notice. If they like the new job for sure, then they give notice. If the new job isn't all it's cracked up to be then they just continue their old job, after their vacation.

One man I know took two weeks vacation from a John Deere factory and went to a GM factory because the factory was near his home town and better benefits, etc. After two weeks he came back a little more humble, but he still had a job. If he gave notice he would have burned his bridges, possibly. Although I do know of cases where they did accept people back if they are needed enough. Many times the company you leave will try to make a statement, "I'll show you."
That is an interesting play... I like the idea of taking some vacation and sorting out whether the move is wise or not. I personally believe is not burning bridges. Things change, someone that works in the place you are leaving could end up somewhere else and be a lifeline later. That said... being truthful is the best policy. And as others said, you don't need to volunteer more information than the simple fact of leaving for a different job that suits you.

/ Good news and a dilemma? #15  
Do you know why it took the new company 2 months to make a decision? Did they communicate at all with you during that 2 months? Getting a new job is exciting but, at least to me, that 2 month period is unusual.

Good luck.

MoKelly

/ Good news and a dilemma? #16  
Tell them the truth, but be professional about it. You were offered, and accepted, a better job at another employer. They don't need to know more than that, nor should you say anything that could burn any bridges.

This is the best way. As much as you may want to blast 'em now, avoid it. Be professional and you'll be respected for it.

/ Good news and a dilemma? #17  
This is the best way. As much as you may want to blast 'em now, avoid it. Be professional and you'll be respected for it. .

Maybe not necessarily by the company you are leaving, but to those that it matters including yourself.

Terry

/ Good news and a dilemma? #19  
Lots of good advise here - I agree with being honest and polite - no need to go into detail.

Good luck on your new job and congratulations :)

/ Good news and a dilemma? #20  
Be careful burning bridges. The guy you bad-mouth today may become your boss, neighbor or son-in-law in the future.