First ever cut

/ First ever cut #11  
Looks pretty good. Is it raining in the background of your cutting picture? What model baler is that? It looks very similar to my NH 68.

/ First ever cut
Looks pretty good. Is it raining in the background of your cutting picture? What model baler is that? It looks very similar to my NH 68.

It is raining in background. We got about half hour of rain right after we finished cutting.

The baler is a super 67!

/ First ever cut #13  
Nice! :thumbsup:

You DO have a lot of poles and wires in that field!!! (not really poles, those are towers)

I was thinking that if I stacked a bunch of square bales outside like that down here, I would have a giant pile of mold and mildew in about 3 days, IF it didn't catch on fire!!! :D

/ First ever cut #16  
You are there and I am here so here is some idle speculation. Something to think about.

One year I tried to beat the rain and baled squares well into the night as you said you did. There was dew on the hay as we bailed the last of it.

I almost had a barn fire out of it. Just to be safe I suggest you dig down into your stack and feel for heat.

Mine was so hot after a couple of days, down a couple of bales from the outer bales, I couldn't hold my hand down there. Solution was to get it all out of the barn and scatter it till it went through the sweat. Course this was so bad that it burned the hay, it stunk and no telling what happened to the nutrients. Was a mess.

Mark

/ First ever cut #17  
Having been it the custom hay baling business since '87 I learned a long time back to not bale hay at a moisture over 16 -17 % trying to outrun a rain. It's much better for hay to get rained on & then get it dry(15% moisture) then bale it.

/ First ever cut
Thanks for input guys. I wasn't baling to out run rain, just wanted to get it done in my timeline. Sunsets a 9 this time of year so I have daylight to at least 930 and it's been hot so there was no dew in hay when I was baling. I have no way to check moisture level. Two days in 30 degree weather. I check the stack today and it was not hot at all. Thanks

/ First ever cut #19  
Having been it the custom hay baling business since '87 I learned a long time back to not bale hay at a moisture over 16 -17 % trying to outrun a rain. It's much better for hay to get rained on & then get it dry(15% moisture) then bale it.

This really good advice and I follow this method, too. I use a tedder to fluff out the rained on hay as soon as possible.

/ First ever cut #20  
i have no advice as i am a new hayer as well.

just wanted to say "good job!" . i did my first hay cut last month. i am now figuring out how to connect my cat 1 rake to my cat 2 tractor.