Best material for landscaping around foundation?

/ Best material for landscaping around foundation? #11  
I made a small bed by coming out about 30" from the house (or deck in my case at this house) and
did a border/edge with pavers, about 6" wide, buried flat in the ground. on the house side
we put a few shrubs, and plant some annual flowers, then mulch. with the bricks at ground
level, it's easy to mow with the tractor cuz the deck just rides over top of the pavers.

/ Best material for landscaping around foundation? #12  
I've done mulch, pea stone, and pavers in the past. Now I have a foot or more wide strip of river rock over landscape cloth. Beyond that I have planting beds with mulch. This seems the ideal solution, much easier than the others.

/ Best material for landscaping around foundation? #13  
One thing to keep in mind with mulch is that it can smolder and start a fire which can spread to your house.

/ Best material for landscaping around foundation? #14  
I am looking to put the gravel around the foundation of the house. I am looking to buy river rock in bulk not a huge amount at first but needing some advice on how to get the area prepped before hand. What type of fabric did you use or put down on the ground, did you dig down removing soil then put down the fabric (weed barrier), then apply the gravel.

Last question, edging what is the best recommended edging it is can get pretty expensive.

Any help advice would be great, I am going to be grading the area around the house foundation as well. I think it should drop 1" per foot correct for drainage?

/ Best material for landscaping around foundation? #15  
My old house, I poured 8-10" ish wide blocks of cement around the perimeter a couple inches thick [ over several year period ]. In blocks so I could move them if I wanted. My new house, I surrounded the house with treated 2x12's... with cement on the corners. Had a couple that I had to replace in the last ten years because of wild warping... but the rest are doing great. Everything is held together with treated screws so I can remove each if I need to. I also pour a couple inch thick cement pads around the well, address sign post, etc. to help with mowing. Very little push mower trimming on my acreage.....

When I pushed the dirt back around my foundation they told me it had to be ' at least 1" drop in ten feet ' minimum. If you put stone or mulch around the foundation, you are making a place that would help the water go down next to your foundation, which you don't want. You should strive to divert all water out that 10', including gutter downspouts. More slope is better than less slope, but remember that you might want to use step ladders around the perimeter some day..... :)

I miss remembered...... the min spec years ago was more like 4"/10' min.. so you 1"/1' is not too bad...

Last edited:
   / Best material for landscaping around foundation? #16  
I keep reading threads here that are exactly one more thing I need to do at my place! I'm paranoid about foundation drainage. High and dry is my motto for buildings!

Could some of y'all boys who've done this post some pics?

/ Best material for landscaping around foundation? #17  
My final grade was probably more like 1" in three feet or so.... not saying this is great... but works for me... Drill a couple big holes in the end of the planks before you hand trowel in the cement corners. Holds the wood in place....

Attachments

• DSCN1001 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1001 (Large).JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 798
  • DSCN1002 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1002 (Large).JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 594
  • DSCN1003 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1003 (Large).JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 493
  • DSCN1004 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1004 (Large).JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 460
   / Best material for landscaping around foundation? #18  
I've got river rock around most of my house and never had any issues in 16 years. I have had to go in and "re-grade" a couple of spots but it is really about slope. Good drainage makes for a long lasting foundation. How you handle your downspouts make a difference too.

My sump pump in the basement hardly ever runs anymore except when the dehumidifier drains into it.

/ Best material for landscaping around foundation? #19  
I've got river rock around most of my house and never had any issues in 16 years. I have had to go in and "re-grade" a couple of spots but it is really about slope. Good drainage makes for a long lasting foundation. How you handle your downspouts make a difference too.

My sump pump in the basement hardly ever runs anymore except when the dehumidifier drains into it.

Thanks for all of the replies, I was thinking about putting some edging around the house. Found a place that has river rock most likely get a ton of it (not all at once have to use a trailer think it is 10 foot long.

On the grading, thinking I will have to move some dirt around up close by the house by hand.

Question, on the gravel up by the house what type of weed barrier did you use?

Another question, how deep does the river rock need to be around the house as well?

thanks

/ Best material for landscaping around foundation? #20  
a single ton of river rock is very little when you are covering an area, best to use some base calculations on area you want to cover. Then take that area and figure depth you want and come up with cubic yards. use that based on the weight of the rock per yard (get that from youre supplier as not all weighs same based on type of material.)

Mark