What sharpened their claws on these trees?

/ What sharpened their claws on these trees? #31  
Interesting about the Moose. I go to Algonquin yearly and yes there are tons of them there. I've never seen marks like that though, usually they browse on smaller brush and saplings. And not usually pine from what I've seen but I'm no expert for sure. Porcupines don't damage trees in this pattern. Certainly the pictures MossRoad posted look more similar than anything else we have seen.

I don't know, I think it looks like a man made mechanical sort of damage. Could it be someone using the logging road cleaned the bucket or a grapple or something from heavy equipment on the trees? I guess to short list the choices it's either a moose or a machine. Or a moose driving a machine....

Porcupine damage images and also other types of tree damage from animals. porcupine damage to trees - Bing Images

Last edited:
   / What sharpened their claws on these trees? #32  
Moose chewing,we have the same marks around our home,deer will do the same but in strips when winter food hard to find.

/ What sharpened their claws on these trees? #33  
Whatcha got there is the elusive "BC Backscratcher".

bear+viewing+4.jpg

Send it on down thisaway, I got this spot just below my left shoulder ........

/ What sharpened their claws on these trees? #35  
   / What sharpened their claws on these trees? #37  
Maybe it was Bullwinkle, and his buddy Rocky finally taught him to fly .........

/ What sharpened their claws on these trees?
   / What sharpened their claws on these trees? #39  
I live in this area, and am infact, about 300' from the eastern boundary of the park at this very moment . We spend the weekends here at our hunt camp skidooing and hiking.
That is more than likely a moose rub, but it is more common to see them from deer. In fact the bush here will be littered with deer rubs.
They rub in the fall at the beginning of the rut to pull the velvet from there horns and deposit there sent as well.

Google "moose rub" https://www.google.ca/search?q=moos...d=0CCoQyjc&ei=GO_EVKrvO5O3yATzroCQBA#imgdii=_

and a description 6 moose behaviours - Outdoor Canada

/ What sharpened their claws on these trees? #40  
Teeth marks......

I'm going with moose. I don't know much about moose behavior, but I just learned a little bit and based on that, I have deduced that the there was a moose that entered the road and stopped to use the tree for what moose use trees for. Perhaps the part of the moose that causes tracks to be formed was in the road or tracks left by you. The moose then used the road for a distance and exited a ways from where you were looking for sign.
You disturbed the track left by this creature when approaching, you noticed the tree as you went passed and returned to view it disturbing the tracks the moose left when beyond these trees.

Umm.... "skidooing" is a verb?

Urban Dictionary: skidooing