I got a Tractor!

/ I got a Tractor!
Thanks for all the replies.

Steiner actually sells a replacement rebuilt carb for about 200 bucks. But I am trying to get this running for as cheap as possible so that I can see what other issues the tractor has-and I suspect they are plenty! This poor thing is hammered. Pretty much every pin hole is worn out, numerous leaks, old hoses, was run without an air cleaner for at least a little while (DOH!)

Speaking of, does anybody have a photo of what the air cleaner assembly is supposed to look like? Seems like I'm just missing the element and bottom cover.

Also, the guy I bought it from stated that the gannon would just fall at random. I suspect a bad lift control or lift piston seals.

Anyway, I anticipate that this will be a cornucopia of problems.

And I am not sure if I will see it through to the end, or at some point decide it's not worth it and just move along. Either way, I figure I will learn a bunch.

So, with all that in mind, I think I will just try to machine my own shaft and bushings. The material wont cost much, and I have a mill and lathe, and I don't think I can hurt it any worse than it already is!

/ I got a Tractor!
Here are some more photos, and a few questions.

IMG_1874.jpg

So here is the box blade. There are a few issues with it. First, it is nearly toothless! Any idea where I might find rippers that are even close to these? The blade and rippers were made by some company called Ormco, and the ripper shank has the number "M53 A" on it. A search of the net revealed no information on this company, so I assume they are long gone.

Also, I have a 3-point question. As you might be able to see, this blade has the hydraulic side likk for changing the angle of the blade. But what I thought was supposed to be a solid link on the other side is built somewhat like a ram or shock with a shaft that slides in and out of the main body-seemingly negating the affect of the hydraulic link oppiste it. What am I missing here?

IMG_1888.jpg

I discovered a new use for a tire iron!

/ I got a Tractor! #13  
From the picture, I see a hydraulic top link to adjust the bite of the blade. It is between the tractor and the blade. The cylinder on the top of the blade is to raise/lower the scarifier teeth.

/ I got a Tractor! #14  
Congrats! this baby looks heavy duty!!
I am sure way more talented and experienced wrenchers on this site will give you better advice than me. but I appreciate your sand in purchasing this beast and, like others, look forward to you revealing the mystery as she takes form.

Best of Luck in the project and please keep us in the loop!

/ I got a Tractor!
From the picture, I see a hydraulic top link to adjust the bite of the blade. It is between the tractor and the blade. The cylinder on the top of the blade is to raise/lower the scarifier teeth.

Yes, I under the blade pitch control top link, and the ripper ram with the super cool high tech lug wrench for a pin. But its the other non-hydraulic link that I thought was supposed to be a fixed length that I don't understand. Perhaps its like the extendable lower links for easier connection to the implement and a pin or retaining clip is just not in?

/ I got a Tractor! #16  
Yes, I under the blade pitch control top link, and the ripper ram with the super cool high tech lug wrench for a pin. But its the other non-hydraulic link that I thought was supposed to be a fixed length that I don't understand. Perhaps its like the extendable lower links for easier connection to the implement and a pin or retaining clip is just not in?

OK, The internationals I have owned have a threaded nut inside the outer housing. The nut can float inside the link housing, or can be pinned to make it rigid. Look for a hump around the middle of the link and a hole through the hump for a pin.

/ I got a Tractor! #17  
Wow- imagine a twin throat Weber on that beauty! Anyway, this should be a good, long thread. Lots of photos, too, I hope.

Dellorto, SU, Solex and Webber all had many more than the twin IDF and IDA type carbs to choose from Not sure what all is still available these days but surely with a little foot work there is a carb that's compatible weather it be new or sitting in a parts yard waiting to be put to good use.

/ I got a Tractor! #18  
Having your own Mill and Lathe will make the bushing replacement easy, most don't have that luxury! If you just want to set it running without any real time or money invested use some leather to tighten up the shaft. It will work good enough for a test run and then you will know if its worth the time to do a real rebuild or to buy a rebuilt carb.

/ I got a Tractor! #19  
An old trick for quadrajet rebuilders was to use the throats from 30-06 brass as bushings for throttle plates. Just something to think about.
Dave

/ I got a Tractor! #20  
Congrats, I bought my first tractor two years ago and sold it last season. Already bumming I sold it and currently shopping for another. Learned a lot about them in a very short time though. Also learned some of the things i'd like on my next one. Power Steering for sure! Had a Bolens G214 and it was hard turning her with a loader up front. Moved snow like a dream though.