golf carts & solar power

/ golf carts & solar power #1  

lhud

Tractor
iseki,yr ?,mod ts1910
HI All, any1 have any knowledge of solarizing an elecltric golf cart?currently am running 1 around 5 acres but living in the southwest it seems ideal to solarize it.

/ golf carts & solar power #3  
Check eBay for solar panels from a house installation. Depending on your useage, it might be feasible in the Southwest.

/ golf carts & solar power #4  
You could put a 120 watt panel on the roof and a 10 amp charge controller to the batteries. It wouldn't be enough to drive it constantly, but it would keep your batteries charged up real well. Here's a pretty good resource for materials:

Solar Supplies

/ golf carts & solar power #6  
Its all a question of cost. When I've run through the numbers, solar gives very long payback periods (typically 12 to 20 years) depending on the price of electricity and the amount of sunshine you'd expect.

Usually, you pay for they electricity you use via the meter, if you are not using the juice generated by the solar panels its just wasted capacity.

So, using the link above to Sierra Solar, you can buy 120 watt panels for 'only' $540, so for one kilowatt, thats $4,500 (plus all the installation costs). At $0.10/kilowat hour, I can buy 45,000 kwh of electricity from the power company, which is a 15 year payback assuming 8 hours per day usage (45,000/(365*8)) - i.e. the sun is shing when you want to charge your machine. Otherwise, add $$$ for batteries, etc.

Basically, the payback isn't there. Unless you are off grid, solar cells are way too expensive for it to make sense financially.

/ golf carts & solar power #7  
It's true that, without any rebates or incentives, the payback is too long to make sense with low electricity prices. In California, there are enough rebates from tax authorities and utility companies to pay for about half of the system, and prices for electricity were hitting up to $.30/kwh for a while there. That's what got me looking into it closely - although I didn't implement anything because my place doesn't get enough sun to make it worthwhile even with the rebates and tax savings.

/ golf carts & solar power #9  
Mahlers, I've been 'off the grid' for 5 years now and I live in No. California as well. I get more than enough sunshine to keep my batteries charged, run my pool, two swamp coolers and all the lights, tv and computer. Even run my shop tools, saws and a 220v well. Yes, it was expensive and I had no alternative (PG&E 3 miles away) but I've never look back. Curious, where are you in No. California without sunshine???

/ golf carts & solar power #10  
I do Have a solution we just patented in December 2008 and testing show great promise double the charging time easy install "peel and stick"
get some details here and call if you have any questions looking forward to helping you with your needs KB

Solar Energy Golf Carts

2009 PGA Merchandise Show = "Best New Product"