Where to buy a metric bolt

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #21  
Agreed. But there is no way you are gonna get a 7/8-14 tap down that hole without drilling (or breaking the tap)

I would tend to disagree with that. In cast iron it should not be a problem. It will be messy and he'll have to go slow, but it should work fine.

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #22  
I would tend to disagree with that. In cast iron it should not be a problem. It will be messy and he'll have to go slow, but it should work fine.
It would have to be a very special tap with a huge amt of lead in. A blind hole would preclude doing it w/o a series of taps. Very expensive. Buy a long 7/8" Gr8 and take it to a shop for machining and threading to 20M.
larry

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #23  
If you know the dimensions, it would make sense to get two bolts made at a machine shop - one to use and the other as a spare. Might be a bit pricey but you will have what you want and a spare to boot.

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #24  

We will have to agree to disagree. In my experience, anything over 100% threads just aint gonna happen in a blind hole, cast or not. And even 100% is pushing it. Especially fighting though existing threads that are a different pitch. IF you can get it started, the likelihood of it wanting to pull crooked is pretty good.

It would be a whole lot simpler to just run a 13/16 bit through there and do it right, than fight a tap in the wrong sized hole and possibly bind it up and break it.

/ Where to buy a metric bolt
Hi, thanks for all the great info. I verified that it was a 2.0 thread pitch with fastenal. Another problem with using a die is that the threaded hole on the block is recessed in to the block about 2 or 3 inches. There is a spacer that goes in front of the threaded hole. Is there such a thing as a 20mm bolt that has not been threaded yet.

mike

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #26  
Hi, thanks for all the great info. I verified that it was a 2.0 thread pitch with fastenal.

mike

How did you do that? Take the tractor to them?

Another problem with using a die is that the threaded hole on the block is recessed in to the block about 2 or 3 inches.

I dont see how that is an issue using a die over a bolt to re-thread? Perhaps you mean a tap? And if thats the case, you can buy long taps.

Is there such a thing as a 20mm bolt that has not been threaded yet.

mike

No. But the threaded portion of a bolt is only maybe 40mm, regardless of lenght. (dont quote me on the 40mm . could be a little more or less.) but bolts, unless specialty bolts, arent threaded all the way to the head. So get one that is 150mm, cut off the 40mm of thread, and there you have a 110mm bolt that not threaded

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #27  
I recommend rethreading a bolt rather than the tractor. If something goes wrong you can always get another bolt.

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #28  
Hi, thanks for all the great info. I verified that it was a 2.0 thread pitch with fastenal. Another problem with using a die is that the threaded hole on the block is recessed in to the block about 2 or 3 inches. There is a spacer that goes in front of the threaded hole. Is there such a thing as a 20mm bolt that has not been threaded yet.

It's a pretty odd bolt but I can find it in catalogues here, M20x2.0x110, but only with part-thread, 46mm. Would that work? How many do you need?

/Marcus

It's a pretty odd bolt but I can find it in catalogues here, M20x2.0x110, but only with part-thread, 46mm. Would that work? How many do you need?

/Marcus

I only need 1 but I would like to buy 2 so I have a spare. I would say that only about 40mm is actually threaded. I did find the part on a bushhog qt2400 series parts page. It shows the bolt as being 20mmx2.0x90

Mike

How did you do that? Take the tractor to them?
I took the bolt from the other side of the loader to them.

I dont see how that is an issue using a die over a bolt to re-thread? Perhaps you mean a tap? And if thats the case, you can buy long taps.

No. But the threaded portion of a bolt is only maybe 40mm, regardless of lenght. (dont quote me on the 40mm . could be a little more or less.) but bolts, unless specialty bolts, arent threaded all the way to the head. So get one that is 150mm, cut off the 40mm of thread, and there you have a 110mm bolt that not threaded

I took the bolt from the other side of the tractor to fastenall.