Build it yourself? How about "Machine it yourself"?

/ Build it yourself? How about "Machine it yourself"? #11  
STx tell your bride that tools are to men as shoes are to women. Maybe she can then understand.

You must have seen her shoe closet, she has over 100 pairs and still shops for them constantly. I don't really mind though, she's pretty frugal and always waits for stuff to go on sale, rarely paying more than $30 for a pair, and to be honest, I like the way she looks in her stilettos. The fringe benefits of her feeling sexy in them don't suck either. :)

/ Build it yourself? How about "Machine it yourself"? #12  
Nice work!

/ Build it yourself? How about "Machine it yourself"? #13  
My Floor model craftsman uses a M2 taper and not the smaller Jacobs taper. Its a little more robust and have used it to mill some slotted bolt holes. You can also buy taper attachments that accept most end mills, Jacobs and Mtaper ,but I havent tried any of them. And of course you can buy adapters to go from Mtaper to Mtaper and Jacobs to Jacobs, and M taper to jacobs taper. My chuck is 3/4" so I just chuck everything. I also use a M2 to M4 adapter to use my drill chuck on my lathe. I think as long as its manual feed and you resist the temptation to get in a hurry, you can do a lot with a drill press.

/ Build it yourself? How about "Machine it yourself"? #15  
Nice working with what you have.

Do you have a lathe? Or did you just grind it "close enough" after welding?

Only thing I would have done different (and I've repaired many keyways and bores) would have been to cut the key in a virgin section of the shaft instead of over the weld. Only time I'll mill over the weld if it is something that has to be kept in time with the other end of the shaft

/ Build it yourself? How about "Machine it yourself"?
Nice working with what you have.

Do you have a lathe? Or did you just grind it "close enough" after welding?

Only thing I would have done different (and I've repaired many keyways and bores) would have been to cut the key in a virgin section of the shaft instead of over the weld. Only time I'll mill over the weld if it is something that has to be kept in time with the other end of the shaft

I did cut the new keyway opposite of the original. Sorry, didn't make that clear.

No lathe (yet...) so I eyeballed it with a flap disk in a grinder.

/ Build it yourself? How about "Machine it yourself"? #17  
I see. Hard to tell from the pic but it looked like it was cut over the weld.

/ Build it yourself? How about "Machine it yourself"? #18  
Every once in a while I need a milling machine for repairs. For as little as I use it, I didn't want to get a big or expensive machine. And I did not want to get an imported machine. Found this for $300 on Craigslist. Benchmaster, made in Los Angeles after WWII. This one is over 65 years old, still works fine.

Attachments

• benchmaster3.jpg
    benchmaster3.jpg
    687 KB · Views: 204
   / Build it yourself? How about "Machine it yourself"?
Every once in a while I need a milling machine for repairs. For as little as I use it, I didn't want to get a big or expensive machine. And I did not want to get an imported machine. Found this for $300 on Craigslist. Benchmaster, made in Los Angeles after WWII. This one is over 65 years old, still works fine.

NICE! That'd be just the ticket for my little shop. I'll have to start cruising Craigslist again.

/ Build it yourself? How about "Machine it yourself"? #20  
I've been watching CL for a few years, I've never seen a deal like that. I'd be all over it if I did. I always see stuff like this - GRIZZLY G0704 CNC MILL.