What's the secret to drilling through 1/4" angle iron?

/ What's the secret to drilling through 1/4" angle iron? #91  
I was surprised at 75 responses to a question about drilling holes. I expected some derogatory remarks at the OP and was glad to see only help.
Yeah. If hed just gone ahead and used a 1/4" angle drill there wouldve been no thread. ;)

/ What's the secret to drilling through 1/4" angle iron? #92  
The head is solid as a big rock. It is just the table that moves a little.

Yep. Head and all its movements are solid. Movement is in the table.

I am not saying there is more movement than a drill press. Cause I use a drill press where the movement is in the vise as I don't clamp it solid to the table. I would just prefer not to see all that movement wearing things out on an expensive mill.

There is a reason that bridgport et al only rate them for 3/4" drill bits if manual fed and only 3/8 if using quill feed.

A cheaper and similar HP drill press will be rated for larger holes.

/ What's the secret to drilling through 1/4" angle iron? #93  
You could always do the same thing with a vice on a mill.

/ What's the secret to drilling through 1/4" angle iron? #94  
If it was dedicated for drilling only... Sure. But having to unbolt the vise, then bolt it back on and make sure its square to mill is a pita.

/ What's the secret to drilling through 1/4" angle iron? #96  
If it was dedicated for drilling only... Sure. But having to unbolt the vise, then bolt it back on and make sure its square to mill is a pita.
It is actually not. I can put the vice on in less than 2 minutes. The bed is long enough I can usually just loosen the the bolts which takes about 30 seconds and slide the vice to the end. I am clearly not a real machinist, and I commonly use the vice to hold what I am machining.

/ What's the secret to drilling through 1/4" angle iron? #97  
Sure, putting the vise on takes 2 minutes. Which may be good for most things. But for precision you need to get out the dial indicators and make sure you are parallel and straight. Adds another 4 or 5 minutes. Not to mention that most angling vises are pretty darn heavy to be moving around alot.

Squaring up isn't something that may normally be done on a fixed vise, but I have only ever used angle base vises.

/ What's the secret to drilling through 1/4" angle iron? #99  
Yea, I was trying all day yesterday I think to upload photos of my garage door springs.

/ What's the secret to drilling through 1/4" angle iron? #100  

It is actually not. I can put the vice on in less than 2 minutes. The bed is long enough I can usually just loosen the the bolts which takes about 30 seconds and slide the vice to the end. I am clearly not a real machinist, and I commonly use the vice to hold what I am machining.

Sure, putting the vise on takes 2 minutes. Which may be good for most things. But for precision you need to get out the dial indicators and make sure you are parallel and straight. Adds another 4 or 5 minutes. Not to mention that most angling vises are pretty darn heavy to be moving around alot.
Squaring up isn't something that may normally be done on a fixed vise, but I have only ever used angle base vises.
Yeah theyre heavy. I too use the slide trick when I can get enuf room that way.

I seldom indicate because I am the sole user and know the setup characteristic. I find that the stance of the vise angle base is long enuf and the keying inserts fit the slots tight enuf that the 6" vise comes back w/i a thousandth on each setup. ... If Im making long cuts Ill indicate it in. Its just a matter of a few taps with a soft hammer before final bolt tightening.

,,,larry