Well house roof design help

/ Well house roof design help #11  
Why do you have to remove the roof for service?

If you have to have the well redrilled the whole place would be in the way.

Well (no pun intended), that's part of the reason I opted not to hinge the roof on my new one.

But, if your roof is on hinges it can probably be un-bolted & removed using a tractor's FEL, & then the rest of the building could also be lifted out of the way with an FEL.

A farmer that I know had done the same thing and had to tear the whole place down to get the drill rig on top of the hole to drill his well deeper.

That's why I screwed mine together. Worst case, I get out my cordless drill & go to town un-screwing the whole thing.

/ Well house roof design help
It is a big pump house. It serves as the garden shed also. Had to make room for my hoe. and my shovel and other stuff.:laughing:

The pipe for the well pump is 20' lengths of 1" PVC screwed together. So no continuous poly piping here. The well is 340' with the pump sitting at 160'

I am planning on using galvalume metal roofing. with the peak covers. I was wanting to keep a 4:12 slope on the roof

I was thinking with the 2x4 rafters on 24" centers 1x4 purlin on 24" centers, it would probably weigh about 250 pounds. But it would be way up there.
The well service folks have pretty long jim poles on their trucks that they use to pull up the pump with, so they should be able to handle the roof.

Of course, if a drilling rig has to come in, I can pull the roof, unbold the shed from the anchor bolts, take the sub panel off the wall and get the whole shed picked up and moved. Of course "should" sometimes don't work out right.

/ Well house roof design help #13  
... Of course "should" sometimes don't work out right.

That's a fact. It's probable that no matter how you plan, you'll still end up disassembling the whole thing. It might be easier just to build the shed like normal and tackle access when the time comes. Screws are a good idea because they can be more easily removed when the time comes vs. nails.

/ Well house roof design help #14  
you could always use lags with a big eye in them. Fasten this to the lower edge of the inside of the roof members and fasten another set on the inside top of the walls so that they align. Then get yourself a piece of pipe or bar that could slide into all of the eyes. would work well and keep it roughly sealed especially if you brought the edge of the roof a little lower than the top of the wall. does that make sense? i could draw it up later. Would be a cheap way to do what you are looking for provided the roof wasn't too big and heavy!
I have that problem. Would appreciate your drawing it up. Thanks

/ Well house roof design help #15  
I did a 12x12 well house with a metal roof. Same idea as somebody else said just slide a section of metal out. But the homeowner came back and insulted the roof then put plywood up. That was 11 years ago. Went by there a month ago and they had to replace the pump. Had to pull it out 6' at a time and cut the pipe. Oops.

/ Well house roof design help #16  
I did a 12x12 well house with a metal roof. Same idea as somebody else said just slide a section of metal out. But the homeowner came back and insulted the roof then put plywood up. That was 11 years ago. Went by there a month ago and they had to replace the pump. Had to pull it out 6' at a time and cut the pipe. Oops.

Thanks for the tip. My problem is a little different. My pump house is already built. It is brick, approx 6'x8' The roof is lumber with a peak. Roof is not attached but does hang over the house a few inches. At present there is no way I can lift it off. A carpenter came out and looked at it. said he could reinforce the peak, drill holes in the peak so that chains can be rapped around the peak. I am afraid with the way he suggested that while lifting the roof, the weight will cause the rafters to separate as the roof is very very heavy. Looking for a way to lift this heavy roof off the pump house with damage. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3796 lr 20x.jpg
    IMG_3796 lr 20x.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 510
   / Well house roof design help #17  
I would cut holes in the eaves to allow pickle forks in it.

Two dumb questions.

Why not just build a new roof. Something lighter in design (metal?)

Why is the pump house so bit? Ours is 4x4x4 and contains pressure tank, pump and controls.

/ Well house roof design help #18  
I would cut holes in the eaves to allow pickle forks in it.

Two dumb questions.

Why not just build a new roof. Something lighter in design (metal?)

Why is the pump house so bit? Ours is 4x4x4 and contains pressure tank, pump and controls.

Thanks!
Not sure what a "pickle fork " is. Nothing to do with the size. It was built w/o my knowledge. There is a lot of extra room in it, but have to tackle what I have :)
The eaves overhang the walls. I do not believe drilling into that would work as there is brick behind the eaves. (see picture). Unless you mean a different part of the eaves.
This is a nice attractive roof; do not want to rebuild it

/ Well house roof design help #19  
Pickle forks - fork lift tines.

OK, so the kids have a place to go when they are bad ;-)

What my thoughts are is divising a way you can drive up with fork lift tines and just lift the roof off. If you cut a couple of holes for the fork lift to go in, either in the front, or under the eaves on the side, you could probably do this. You might need to shore it up a bit internally but this is how I would approach it. Holes would have some sort of a nice cover as taking the roof off is a once in a never sort of deal.

Not sure what kind of tractor you have, though. It would have some balance issue to look at.

/ Well house roof design help #20  
Add some class to the building by using a wire corn crib top for the roof of the structure. Something this size would have 20 sections (petals) that easily unbolt as needed for access through the top. Line with foam board if necessary. I just sold one. They are popular for city people to use as gazebos.

Attachments

• P1010122.jpg
    P1010122.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 180
  • P1010124.jpg
    P1010124.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 208
  • P1010119.jpg
    P1010119.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 177