Best MIG Welder Advice

/ Best MIG Welder Advice #1  

NibbanaFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 739, Cub Cadet 2544
Greetings TBN welders.

I am thinking about purchasing a new MIG. I want to try to keep it under $1500. Or there about. I usually weld steel 1/4 or less and would specifically want this for doing lighter stuff. I have a Lincoln 175 TIG and other arc welders for heavy steel.

That said, it would sure be nice on my lungs to not have to breath a lot of arc fumes for a change. So if I had a machine capable of doing heavier work, I would probably use it for that too. So given equal performance on light material, it might be worth paying more for a machine capable of doing heavier work. But, like I say, I want to stay under $1500. American made is a definite plus for me. No offense intended to anybody.

What are your opinions on my options available out there?

Thanks.

/ Best MIG Welder Advice #3  
If you can find a Mig welder with inductance control. It's amazing how much control over the puddle inductance control has.:thumbsup:

I personally don't buy into the nonsense that Mig is not good for thick material. For 3-years I worked at a place. Every 3-months I had to retest in all processes 1-inch thick V-butt side bend tests. We ran 1/16-inch Mig wire.

/ Best MIG Welder Advice #4  
   / Best MIG Welder Advice #5  
I like my Miller Multimatic 200. Portable, inverter, dual voltage and flexible. Does MIG and stick. Can add a spoolgun and TIG. Miller is offering a $250 rebate right now which brings the cost down to $1500. https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/multiprocess/miller-multimatic-200-mig-welder Miller Multimatic 200 Auto-Set Elite Welder 907518
Does that Miller Multimatic have inductance control?
My $950 TA 181i does but I haven't used it enough to really have an opinion. Terry

Last edited:
   / Best MIG Welder Advice #6  
Does that Miller Multimatic have inductance control? My $950 TA 181i does but I haven't used it enough to really have an opinion. Terry

No it doesn't. I have never used a welder with induction control so I'm more than clueless regarding such control.

I needed dual voltage and portability but the TA181i has very similar multiprocess capabilities to the Multimatic at substantially less cost.

/ Best MIG Welder Advice #7  
I had a Linde VI-206 Mig machine, with inductance control. In a way you can look at inductance control like arc force. Turn it up, you get a dry / stiff puddle. Which is great for running vertical up hill welding. Turn it down, and you get a wet / flowing puddle. Which is great for welding flat.

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 310
   / Best MIG Welder Advice #8  
Thanks for the explanation Shield Arc. That is helpful. I don't do much uphill welding as most of what I do is on material small enough that I can reorient it for flat welds but I can see the advantage of induction control.

/ Best MIG Welder Advice #9  
I just got an Everlast iMIG 200 from Mark. I wanted a MIG too for the pretty much the same reason as you, less fumes. It's dual voltage, MIG and stick capable. Mark gave me a pretty good price so well under $1500.

I've only welded a little bit with it so far and stick only because i haven't picked up a gas bottle yet. Tried some 6011 to do some test welds and was pretty surprised how well it welded. Believe it or not, i didn't stick the rod to the metal once, just a nice smooth weld. Seemed like a hot start feature, i believe this welder has variable inductance in both MIG and stick. So far pretty happy with it, i'll probably pick up a smaller tip and wire roller for light metal and see how it goes, when i get some gas.

/ Best MIG Welder Advice #10  
Wondering how the Miller Multi 200 does off a engine drive like a Miller Bobcat?