NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P)

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #11  
It is a tragedy. as an arm chair reader with thousands of hours of chipper operation under his belt I would venture to say lack of safety, lack training,lack of supervision, and lack of brains played into this event. Stupid is difficult to fix.

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #12  
Carelessness / stupidity is hard to fix - if that is indeed what caused it.

However, a while back on here I posted photos of my European-spec Bearcat and the identical US model - the former was fitted with additional safety guards.

It is of course premature to make such a call here.

J

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #13  
The article said it was his first day on the job, so don't call him stupid. 19 year old kid, first day on the job, and they put him on a death machine. No way I'd do that to a kid. No way. :(

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #14  
During my career as a Lineman I used one of those while tree trimming for line clearance and it was with no doubt the most dangerous piece of equipment I have ever used. Every branch (and some of those branches were like small trees) I threw in it was carefully scrutinized for anything that could hit me on the way in, grab my clothing, or hang up on the feed chute. Later it was changed out for a larger one with power feed rollers which was a heck of a lot nicer to use. I noticed a couple of guys on the crew were almost lackadaisical when using them even though they had been fully informed about the hazards and how to feed the beasts.

Sad story indeed. I too ran one for a few years working as my brother's ground crew in a tree triming businesse. Like MC mentions there is never a moment using one that you forget how dangerous they are. If you keep ahold of a limb to long you quickly realize how much they will actually pull ANYTHING in. Wicked. I feel the boy probably wasn't properly trained. You really don't stick things in as much as you throw them in. And yes, you do have to be careful of protruding limbs.

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #15  
   / NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #16  
Watch this youtube video.... around 2:20 you'll see some pretty hairy stuff... the branch won't go in, its over his head and body, he keeps futsing with it and finally gets it to go... I wouldn't use this machine nor would I let an employee use it. Just too dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL0JkG41IRs

Here's a link to an OSHA page about woodchipper safety. Good read...
https://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib041608.html

yeh that limb was too big. should have cut it up more. Not safe to try to put something that big in and not good on the equipment really. That is one heck of a chipper. I don't remember ours being that fast. Maybe it was but seemed to take longer to feed through than that.

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #17  
Why are they calling the kid a Sub contractor?

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #19  
Why does any company use sub-contractors? So they don't have to provide benefits and insurance....

Just found that kind of fishy. Kids first day on the job working with 2 solid type employee's and he is a sub. Not buying it Moss...

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #20  
Just found that kind of fishy. Kids first day on the job working with 2 solid type employee's and he is a sub. Not buying it Moss...

Think they were gonna pay him cash under the table, until the accident, so they called him a sub?