I-beam size 30' span

/ I-beam size 30' span #11  
This is a very interesting discussion. I'm learning a lot about beam design and strength. Anxious to see/hear the end result Greg!!!! :)

LD1, how do you sleep at night with all that stuff running around in your head???? ;)

/ I-beam size 30' span #12  
This is a very interesting discussion. I'm learning a lot about beam design and strength. Anxious to see/hear the end result Greg!!!! :)

LD1, how do you sleep at night with all that stuff running around in your head???? ;)

I dont sleep at nights half of the time. (I sleep during the day that half)

Night shift 4on4off schedule....:laughing:

/ I-beam size 30' span #13  
I think once you price what a steel I beam will cost, plus what it will take to attach your wood floor joists to it, going with two 24 foot long glulam beams will make a lot of sense. Basically the same thing CurlyDave said, but with an additional beam, you will cut the span of the joists to a very easy to work with ten foot span. Not to mention how easy it will be to attach your floor joists to the glulams!!!

/ I-beam size 30' span
Perhaps this drawing will help with the direction of span issue.

I can likely source a used beam, but knowing what to look for, as well as knowing what is oversized and then grossly oversized, I can get the only semi-oversize one! Not being in a rush, I can be on the lookout for what I need, and when it becomes avaliable, grab it.

/ I-beam size 30' span #15  
If you do what curlydave and eddie are suggesting, putting a beam or gluelam at the 11' mark and 21.5' mark is really doable.

The one that will carry the most load is the one at 11'. Cause it is carrying 5.5' to its left, and 5.25' to its right.

The one at 21.5' is carrying 5.25' to its left and only 3'7" to its right.

So the one at 11' would carry 258 sq ft @ 50psf = 12,900lbs divided by 24' lenght is 537.5 plf

All gluelams are not equal. Many different Fb and E values and those effect the load design. Find something good for 537.5plf or better over a 24' span if you want the lvl. For some reason I cannot find any good tables. I though menards listed allowable plf for different spans but cannot find it

/ I-beam size 30' span
Not shown in the drawing is stairs in the upper right corner, and a door into the existing house in the area where that beam would land. 24' span is out, I've juggled the options every way I can there is support issues on one end or the other, or it blocks how I want/need to lay out things.

So... long span it is, I will have clear wall space, no obstructions, and solid footing for supports. Now to settle on minimum size, and see what the local used (or for the right price, new) market yields.

/ I-beam size 30' span #17  
Is a glulam running the long direction not an option?? Just asking if cost would be less with the glulam?? Asking out of ignorance, as usual. :)

/ I-beam size 30' span #18  
I did some measuring and took a few hasty pics during a recent w/shop cleanup (o'head cobwebs). Turns out my trusses are 21" NOT 18" deep, but still spanning ~28' with no posts and w/living space above fully utilized (my living room)

Here is a long shot showing 20'+ ot the ~28 foot my floor joists span. Note 24" OC and count the 5 ea 4' sections for the ceiling tiles. Upstairs from this are the usual suspects, sleep sofa, piano, etc tho no tubs full of water. You can see some wiring and the HVAC plenum/take-offs.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XmDRDW8/0/XL/i-XmDRDW8-XL.jpg

Here is detail showing a lower truss chord trimmed to clear poured wall and where the top chord above the foundation wrap is set to anchor it. (house built in '72, btw.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-JbHg42T/0/XL/i-JbHg42T-XL.jpg

Here you can see my garage door header supporting roof truss tails, (pic taken just before moving/setting the 12" x 36" lathe). Door is 16" x 8"
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VpfwpR7/0/L/i-VpfwpR7-XL.jpg

Just sayin' ... :)

/ I-beam size 30' span
I would concider the use of lambeams if it comes down to buying new, I'm thinking I'll be able to find a steel beam cheap enough. And as some of you know, working with metal doesn't scare me, be it handling the beam, or attachment of the wood framing. Nothing a torch and welder and some bolts won't fix.

/ I-beam size 30' span #20  
I spanned 24' on my garage without a center beam. Went to a truss manufacturer, they sized and sold me some 16" deep Ibeam type manufactured floor joists.