Today's new cars are way overpowered...

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #252  
Winter drivin; you might get surprised.

There's more than the nut behind the wheel involved.

Yep. tires and then the egg under the gas pedal driving mode. Mosst people never learn to take starting and stopping "gently". Used to use studded tires in he winter, not any more, the modern snow tires beat studs except on glare ice and there nothing works very well including studs.

Being 80 years old, and god knows how many miles under the belt, I dont' expect many suprises in driving...other than the nuts behind the wheel playing with their electronic toys

Harry K

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #253  
I always love the kodiak special winter drives, rain on glare ice! Even v-bar chains are sometimes not enough!

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #254  
Minnesota has other issues than just tires.

12418988_10205695623649378_8101289904960002764_o.j  pg

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #255  
With regard to winter driving, when I first bought the property I'm on I had a 93 full size Bronco with open differentials and over sized tires. I used to get stuck going in and out of the property on a regular basis in the winter. We now have a 05 awd Hyundai Santa Fe and although it has less ground clearance it runs circles around that old Bronco. I can barely make it slip a wheel going up and down the ravine and it's very steep on one side. I'm very very impressed with the all wheel drive/traction control system on that old Hyundai. We run all season Michelins on all vehicles.

My old 71 Bronco was a different story compared to that big 93. The 71 with limited slip rear would go just about anywhere and usually did. Forget to lock the front hubs and it would spin out in the rain.

Kevin

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #256  
Open differential & big tire's look good in the Parkin lot on a dry summer day.

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #257  
Myi first truck after retiring from the AF was a 75 F250 with very wide tires. Squirreliest thing I ever drove even on dry pavement. Swapped trires for normal ones as soon as I had the money.

Harry K

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #258  
Anyone recall snow tire recaps with walnut shells mixed in the rubber? My Dad had a tire business and sold them like crazy. Worked very well, even when the tread was gone. Good for repeat business every year too, they did not last long.

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #259  
Anyone recall snow tire recaps with walnut shells mixed in the rubber? My Dad had a tire business and sold them like crazy. Worked very well, even when the tread was gone. Good for repeat business every year too, they did not last long.

Yep, they were good for about one season if you didn't put too many miles on them. From the dim fog of memory driving on them, I would rate them as better than studs.

Harry K

Harry K

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #260  
IIRC Toyo used (uses?) those in their snow tires.

Aaron Z