Folding Cutting Table Question????

/ Folding Cutting Table Question???? #11  
the table outter edge is outside the table legs by about 3" on each side.
Oh I didn't see that in your pictures. You could weld a piece of pipe onto the flat bar to make up the 3-inches.

/ Folding Cutting Table Question???? #12  
Maybe weld a couple of receivers on the underside of table and pull out a pair of horizontal supports for the extension? Maybe with a pull rope?

I don't particularly like my suggestion, but I certainly like your table!

Terry

/ Folding Cutting Table Question????
Oh I didn't see that in your pictures. You could weld a piece of pipe onto the flat bar to make up the 3-inches.

Yep. I can do whatever to make up that difference. I'm beginning to like your idea. I could bolt the flat bars to the top loosely so they'd swing. Add a pin sticking out of the leg for the braces to fasten to when up. Unfasten the brace on each side from the leg. Swing the top down. Have a J hangar on the horizontal lower beam of the table for the brace on each side to hang on while the top is down. Sorry for the poor description. That way my braces would always be with the table. All I'd hafta keep track of would be the linch pins used to fasten the top up.

Maybe weld a couple of receivers on the underside of table and pull out a pair of horizontal supports for the extension? Maybe with a pull rope?

I don't particularly like my suggestion, but I certainly like your table!

Terry

Terry, I was just now drinking a Beer and looking this over. That came to my mind. A slider on each side. Raise the top, slide out one side at a time to hold it in place. When folded the sliders would be retracted out of the way.

/ Folding Cutting Table Question???? #15  
Terry, I was just now drinking a Beer and looking this over. That came to my mind. A slider on each side. Raise the top, slide out one side at a time to hold it in place. When folded the sliders would be retracted out of the way.

Lemme grab a beer and I'll help you think this out, Richard. :)

Terry

Last edited:
   / Folding Cutting Table Question???? #16  
Lemme grab a beer and I'll help you think this out, Richard. :)

Terry
Sliders would work best. Get or make some c-channel and the bar stays stored on the sides (orange part) and will be strong when applied.

Sliders would work best. Get or make some c-channel and the bar stays stored on the sides (orange part) and will be strong when applied.

I've got more of the rectangular tubing I made the framework from. Just hafta dig in the pile and see if I have something that will slip over it. I've also got several sizes of pipe that I use to build buggy cages.

Thanks for the ideas!!!!

/ Folding Cutting Table Question???? #18  
If you DO go the slider route they would need to be 'shielded ' so that slag and dross don't inhibit the sliding.

Terry

/ Folding Cutting Table Question???? #19  
I would do the folding angle braces mentioned earlier. Like those fold up tables use, that concept. No pins to pull, just lift up on the top, bump the braces in the middle, and lower the top... no tools, quick, strong. And less if not no slag issues.

/ Folding Cutting Table Question???? #20  
This is an interesting thread. Thanks Richard... and I love that table. I was leaning towards Terry's idea until he mentioned shielding for slag. Obviously he is ahead of me... maybe I need to crack a beer and catch up? BTW, it will have to be a Tiger brand beer as I am in Singapore and it is Friday night so I guess I am due. :D

I don't know but for some reason, I am thinking of the old folding metal card tables, and liked how the legs quickly folded out with a push of a button. Not suggesting a fancy hinge like that but I think I would want vertical legs supporting the extended end so I could load it up as much as I wanted and there would be no concern of the table flipping. I do need that beer to proceed with the detail design though.

:drink: