Knocking dirt down?

/ Knocking dirt down? #11  
Around here we also have mounds. Here we call them bunns. The bunns were created by the ancient out washing of glacial Lk Missoula. I live on the very northern part of this area and its called the Channeled Scablands. The bunns vary from the size of a car to many hundreds of acres. I have many car sized bunns on my property. I've flattened two and at the core of the bunn is the stump of an ancient tree. Both of the stumps were Cedar trees. Those who know, say it was over 25,000 year ago that Cedar trees grew in this area.

Anyhow - the roll over box blade is the ideal implement for flattening your bunns. :laughing: :laughing:

/ Knocking dirt down? #12  
I would also recommend a box blade for this. Lower the scarifies to rip thru any roots etc that may be in the mounds and loosen up the dirt that you can then drag into the back side of the mound to fill in the depression. I would say these mounds are likely left over from blown down oaks or similar trees that have a large root pack. After the roots rot out, the dirt that is left would leave a mound with the back side a depression. I see some of them in the adjoining property to me that has not been touched in many, many years. OLD trees die, get replaced with younger ones, that is the cycle of life in the forest. Given enough time, mother nature will fill in that hole.

/ Knocking dirt down? #13  
Could be Indian burial ground.

/ Knocking dirt down? #14  
Around here we also have mounds. Here we call them bunns. The bunns were created by the ancient out washing of glacial Lk Missoula. I live on the very northern part of this area and its called the Channeled Scablands. The bunns vary from the size of a car to many hundreds of acres. I have many car sized bunns on my property. I've flattened two and at the core of the bunn is the stump of an ancient tree. Both of the stumps were Cedar trees. Those who know, say it was over 25,000 year ago that Cedar trees grew in this area.

Anyhow - the roll over box blade is the ideal implement for flattening your bunns. :laughing: :laughing:
Maybe one of these attached to your 3pt would flatten those bunns.

uploadfromtaptalk1458764852650.jpg

/ Knocking dirt down?
Until a few days ago, I didn't realize what a box blade could do. I though it was just a big scoop.

Can also use th scarifiers to tear land up for food plot.

/ Knocking dirt down? #16  
I have mounds on my property and I am pretty sure they are slash piles from logging long ago. Can also see skidder trails here and there.

/ Knocking dirt down?
I am in a big logging area. Area was built on logging and mining.

/ Knocking dirt down? #19  
I have some lumps and dips and can tell you with certainty that if they're close together, it's the evidence of a blown-down tree root ball being heaved from the earth.

MN and I'm sure much of WI is glacial waste. Technical term is Drumlin Field, but the fact remains we're the poop the glaciers left behind. :) Poop is usually lumpy. Don't blame the Indians. :D

/ Knocking dirt down?
I am not going to rent anything, for a few reasons. This is at my camp, nearest town that might have rental is 45 miles. I could probably find someone to hire it out. But since I already have a trail system this would be more screwing around here and there. Fix spots, additions. I think it will be a bit of extend the trail, work on clearing, extend trail more. I see this going on for awhile.

I do realize there is a proper tool for the job, I did spend alot of money on the tractor, and if I could invest in attachements that would do the job I would rather do that.

I have thought about buying a used dozer someday, sell it when done. But I never sell anything. Plus I only have 40 acres. There us already some wide trails that I have drove truck on, and a few 4wheeler trails. I am going to spend my time on the main truck trail on filling in some muddy spots.

The back perimeter is still pretty wild, buts up to national forest, I would like a trail back there, that is the area with the most mounds. It is marked for logging, I have thought about talking to the loggers when it is finally awarded, and work out a deal.

This is mostly just screwing around and learning how to build trails and use my tractor. Started out cutting trails with cutters and lopers, on my hands and knees at times. Now 4wd drive tractor. All to walk the dogs and hunt deer.