Tires for Super A

/ Tires for Super A #1  

jeffgreef

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall, Gibson, Windolph, Simar, Bear Cat, Vaughan, Howard
Going to need an 8-24 R1 for my Super A. Like to find a good used, if possible. Freight from the Midwest is more than the tire, so I'll buy one here in California. What's the best way to find one? I could call the IH dealer but I'm sure they'll quote a new price, probably not the lowest. Any advice on the best way to find tires would be appreciated.

Edit- called around, and East Bay Tire here in San Francisco area can get me an 8.3 x 24 new for $179. Seems reasonable.

Is 8.3 OK to use on this? he said the tire will be taller than the 8 I have on the other side. Is that a big deal to have different sized tires?

Last edited:
   / Tires for Super A #2  
The difference shouldn't be a problem....is the other tire the original? BobG in VA

/ Tires for Super A #3  
Going to need an 8-24 R1 for my Super A. Like to find a good used, if possible. Freight from the Midwest is more than the tire, so I'll buy one here in California. What's the best way to find one? I could call the IH dealer but I'm sure they'll quote a new price, probably not the lowest. Any advice on the best way to find tires would be appreciated.

Edit- called around, and East Bay Tire here in San Francisco area can get me an 8.3 x 24 new for $179. Seems reasonable.

Is 8.3 OK to use on this? he said the tire will be taller than the 8 I have on the other side. Is that a big deal to have different sized tires?

For that price, I'd be tempted to just buy a match set.

/ Tires for Super A
The difference shouldn't be a problem....is the other tire the original? BobG in VA

No, but the tire I'm replacing might be. Didn't write down the brand.

I wasn't expecting such a low price- I thought tires were a lot more than that- but these are pretty small.

/ Tires for Super A #5  
No, but the tire I'm replacing might be. Didn't write down the brand.

I wasn't expecting such a low price- I thought tires were a lot more than that- but these are pretty small.

You know, thinking about it...I'm guessing the tires/rims on your SA are originally from a Cub....the standard size for the SA should be 10-11.2 x 24, not 8 x 24...anyone with a Cub confirm this??/ Bobg in VA

/ Tires for Super A #6  
Les Schwab can get whatever tire you need for your tractor.
Never had to replace rubber on my 1951 Super A, but I did so on several other old tractors I owned including the right front on my 1949 JD B.

Good luck.

/ Tires for Super A #7  
I ALSO would replace both of them to a bigger size, as A's should have bigger size tires then that 8.1's...

They easily have enough power for bigger tires and it makes a lot better tractor out of them!

Don't forget to get new tubes too...

SR

/ Tires for Super A
Hmmm... Interesting... My manual, which is for an A not an SA, says 8-24 for the rears. And that's what's on the tractor. I don't know, I'm just the guy that bought it.

/ Tires for Super A #9  
I happened to notice the tire size on my BN yesterday,as I was taking a little coffee/smoke break. It is a '47 model, and has the original BF Goodrich tires on it. 9.5-24's.

/ Tires for Super A #10  
I have an A, (2) BN's and a 140 (140 is an "up dated" Super A) all of them have tires bigger than 8.1's...

It's YOUR tractor, put on it what ever you want...

SR