Tiller Tines Replacement

/ Tiller Tines Replacement #11  
Those are gone, and time to replace. That's not a factory edge on them. The factory edge on tines is on the inside of the blade so it cuts clean and lifts the soil with little effort. Go look at a new tiller and compare the tines. Yours is closer to a vertical slicer than a tiller, in my opinion. They need to have enough 'shoe' to cut flat and lift the soil out.

/ Tiller Tines Replacement #12  
I guess the proof is in the pudding. Go till an area and if your happy with the results keep them.

/ Tiller Tines Replacement #13  
I guess a picture from the rear would help. I'm seeing the blades as worn out from that angle. Here's another thread about tine replacements with a rear picture. I thought the OP's tines were close to this. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/204024-when-change-your-tiller-tines.html
You can see the wide gaps between the rows/tips on the worn tines, which will leave untilled ground. Then look a the new set and how the tips nearly overlap from one row to the next.

/ Tiller Tines Replacement #14  
when you replace the tines be prepared to replace some of the nuts and bolts as well.

/ Tiller Tines Replacement
Really good info. I have all the nuts/ bolts needed but will need to order Tines. Cheapest place I could find was a little under $200. In my opinion I think it's time to replace but I personally tend to replace things before the end life.. They still till and I know I can get more use out of them, but my concern was can I get more "till" with new Tines. I believe I may go ahead and replace.

/ Tiller Tines Replacement #16  
I would run them on anyone of my three tillers! Of course, I run Howard brand tillers and the tines over lap the cut, so worn tines do NOT leave untiled soill!

If your running a brand of tiller that isn't designed as well, then perhaps you would have to replace them sooner ?.

SR

/ Tiller Tines Replacement #17  
Tines wear fast on tillers. You won't believe how much better they till with a new set. I'd replace them after going to that trouble to do what you've done on the rest of the machine. When I bought mine, I bought an extra set of tines/bolts at the same time.

/ Tiller Tines Replacement #18  
I generally get "about" 400 acres out of a set of tines, depending on what I've been tilling.

By then, they are worn down enough that a bigger rock or piece of trash will break them... That's generally when they get replaced.

You have to have REALLY good going to wear a tine out before breaking it, but it does happen...

BTW, I've tilled enough to replace more than a few sets!!

SR

/ Tiller Tines Replacement
Just for reference, attached is before/after photos of the tiller