In search of a Round Baler...

/ In search of a Round Baler... #1  

VentracRandy

Tractor
Oliver 770, Farmal Super MTA,, Ford 850, Massey 285, Ventrac 3400L
I'm looking to buy a used round baler. I've never used one before and I've never investigated the differences. I've been baling small squares for years and it's time to move to something less labor intensive. (My kids have grown up.) I do about 38 acres of hay a year but could be baling straw as well if the opportunity presents itself. I'll be using a Massey 285 to pull it so I've got about 82 PTO hp to work with. I have about $3000 to spend and I enjoy renovating old/older equipment. For Parts stores, I've got the big three (JD, AGCO, NH) plus others close by so I'm not tied to any particular brand of machinery. I'd like something reliable and easy to operate. I like to be an informed consumer. So I need some advise before I start my search.

What should I look for in a used round baler or a round baler in general? Some have chains and some have belts. Are their advantages or disadvantages to each? Is their a brand or model I should avoid?

/ In search of a Round Baler... #2  
Chain balers are very old school and that school let out years ago. You want a no frills rounder that twines the bales (for 3 grand you won't find a net machine worth a darn.), IOW it will be basically junk.

I'd suggest shopping for a used 630 series NH manual tie machine. They make nice 4 x 4 bales in hay and straw, real simple and the twine control is in your cab / operators station. I had one for years, no issues. They have mini rough top belts and a pretty wide pickup plus they aren't pto power intensive, you tractor will run one just fine.

I traded mine in on a BR760 Twine / Net machine with full electronic controls, it was a bit more than 3 grand.

Chain balers are extremely hard on forage crops. Fine for bailing corn stalks or wheat straw but thats about it. They beat the heck out of hay and shatter the alfalfa.

/ In search of a Round Baler... #3  
5030 gave good advice.
Twine tie. Stay away from the chains.

I would add that in my area, Vermeer, JD, and NH make up probably 90% of the round balers. All three are good machines.
You want an "open throat" baler. Less likely to plug up.
The biggest expense on a round baler is the belts. I just replaced them on my baler last year. About $200 each for aftermarket, or twice that from dealer. (6 belts on a JD 4' wide machine). Makes it run like a new baler.
And, make sure the bearings (two on each roller) are good. I've seen balers burned up in the field from a bad bearing.
Good luck finding a decent baler for your price range. Probably $5-6K is more realistic.
JMHO

/ In search of a Round Baler... #4  
I better add something... When looking for a used round baler or any hay tool for that matter, stay away from any that are clean inside or have been pressure washed. Reason being is that you never wash a baler, well, maybe wash the mud off if you run through a mud hole but cardinal rule is never wash a baler, blow it off only. reason being, especially with round balers, pressure washing gets water in the roller bearings (inside the rolls) and causes bad things to happen (catch on fire from an overheated, dry bearing) for instance.

Same applies to a small square baler. I've never washed mine (round or square), I blow them off after each use and then grease them (after each use). The exception to that is my disc mowers. I soak the cutter bars and skirts down with Purple Power and pressure wash them and the skirts to keep the 'cud' from corroding the works, but the cutterbars are sealed anyway. I'll also pressure wash the sheet metal but not the drives. Those again, get blown off and excess grease gets wiped off with a rag.

Little heads up. I've been playing with hay for many, many years and some things I learned the hard way. Excessive cleaning is one of them.

/ In search of a Round Baler... #5  
I would agree with Bigfoot, 3 is pie in the sky unless you find a rare bird seller. 5 might get you a decent unit thats straight but expect to re belt it and thats no easy job, you need a belt lacing tool and jig, depending on lacing design. I've seen used, in fair shape 630 series NH twine units around here for mid 5's. I've never seen one for 3.

Good luck in your quest though...

/ In search of a Round Baler... #6  
Chain and slat balers are old school and gone, nah. They use a JD 448 baler here with belts but chain and slat balers are definitely not dead.

If buying in the $3000 range you're not going to find very much that's ready to go.

Tell that to Krone. Theirs are either chain and slat or belt and slat.

Krone North America - Round Balers

krone belt and slat - Google Search

/ In search of a Round Baler...
Thank's guys, I appreciate the reply's, I'm learning and I really appreciate the help. I wholeheartedly agree, pressure washing and things with bearings do not agree with one another. My hay equipment has never had a bath but it get's brushed off, blown out, inspected, repaired if needed and greased after every use.

/ In search of a Round Baler... #8  
   / In search of a Round Baler... #9  
I've been seeing some Vermeer 605 super J's for between 3 to 5k. I'm using a 605C at the moment. Had to replace all the belts last year at about $750. I'm running it off a JD5103 (47PTO HP) and it does pretty good. Once I can afford to upgrade my tractor I'll probably get a rebel 5400 or equivalent.

/ In search of a Round Baler... #10  
Neither are in his price range....just say'in.

Yea I know that why I said, "If buying in the $3000 range you're not going to find very much that's ready to go."

My reply was to show that chain/belt and slat balers are not dead.