what to do with my rotary shredder

/ what to do with my rotary shredder #1  

ch1ch2

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A
I have a tractor supply cheap shredder that has be fixed too many times to count. My son borrowed it. It came back with the stump jumper broken in half.
This part is important... He did not want to borrow it for fear of tearing it up. I told him not to worry about it. If it breaks , it breaks. He would not be responsible for it.

So, with the blades damaged, blade bolts need replacing, stump jumper in two pieces, and ugly as ****, what should I do?

/ what to do with my rotary shredder #2  
Pull the gear box and PTO shaft off, and scrap the rest.

/ what to do with my rotary shredder #3  
I'll bet things got exciting for a few seconds when that stump jumper broke. Probably sounded like World War III started.

I'd go buy a better quality cutter and figure out what to do with the old one later.

/ what to do with my rotary shredder
Pull the gear box and PTO shaft off, and scrap the rest.

That is partly what I was thinking. Definitely will not repair it.
I thought about some kind of carry all but the frame is pretty heavy for that.
My son suggested some type of tree cutter. I can not see that happening.

/ what to do with my rotary shredder #5  
Set it on blocks out-back and start your own shopping area for salvaging parts for other things that are still worth fixing.

/ what to do with my rotary shredder #6  
Fix it an put it on Craigslist for $400. Someone will buy it for a bit less than that. Seriously... It sounds like all it will take is welding the pan back together and two new blades and bolts. Then, take that money and go buy you a better one. :D

/ what to do with my rotary shredder #7  
That's what I would do. If you can fix it cheap do so and sell it and buy something better. Nothing I hate more than having a task to do like mowing and having to fix the mower before I can mow. It is not always easy because stuff costs money but when my equipment starts requiring more work than it accomplishes it is gone.

/ what to do with my rotary shredder #8  
I'll bet things got exciting for a few seconds when that stump jumper broke. Probably sounded like World War III started.

I'd go buy a better quality cutter and figure out what to do with the old one later.

Thanks for the chuckle!

/ what to do with my rotary shredder #9  
Around here, I'd put it in the back of the pickup and take it to Gerdau. Might need a 2nd person to help you topple it out of the pickup. At worst, maybe they could pick it up with their magnetic thingie.

The whole thing. Doubt the gearbox and all is worth saving.

Ralph

/ what to do with my rotary shredder #10  
Add up the cost of quality replacement parts and compare that number to the cost of a new one. You'll have your answer.