catastrophic rim failor

/ catastrophic rim failor #11  
If it took that much effort to break them loose AND they show wear from movement under the head, could they have been bottomed, as mentioned? In which case the other side may be at risk too. Don't take all the blame, yet!
Jim

/ catastrophic rim failor #12  
Wheel Lug bolts with lock washers ?? None of my equipment or vehicles have lock washers on the wheels. Are the lock washer the split ring type? I regularly throw them away. Under heavy load the washer will open at the split. They are a throwback to the wooden wagon days. If vibration backs the bolt enough to have the washer take up any slack, the fastener is already too loose to hold.

See here ...

Helical Spring Washers

/ catastrophic rim failor
I keep looking at that rim. Looks like maybe the rim had a weak spot at the stamping bend on the outer edge. Lots of break at that point.

Careful inspection of the other rim may show fatigue there.

Can we get a good pic of that rim?

Now a look at the inside of the rim that worries me! Yes this didn't happen overnight but this break is significant
on the outer part of this rim. Look at the second pic closely and you will see what I am talking about!! Note that I had to slide my way back from the field on the bucket using alternate brakes for stearing with very little load on the front wheels

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 349
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 269
   / catastrophic rim failor #14  
Maybe that weak WTC steel is finally making it's way back into our products.

Bummer, for sure. Usually happens when you are making excellent progress.

/ catastrophic rim failor #15  
First this could have been bad had it failed with load and speed or load in the air. So for that thankful.
Look at the tractor and see if the rim was bottoming out on the hub due to the center of the rim being smaller than proper or the hub having a cast burr on it. Or there could have been even dirt caked on the back side of the rim when it was installed preventing the rim from being properly tight to the hub. Will agree lock washers to me not a good sign, the studs may have been damaged and lock washers added to take up the slack that left and if the lug nuts are not flat but beveled like lot of lug nuts are that would have created issues also.

Yup these are factory fittings, Not studs with nuts!! this is what I found strange that they would do that.
7/8's bolts with lock washers is what John Deerwe used on these builds

Good points Kthompson, and all worth looking back at
However , these wheels were off a year ago for new tires and well inspected before re installing them. Now I did have a load in the loader when it failed, but I can see that this took some time to happen. maybe it was just bad steel?? WTC steel back from China?? who knows, but I am seeing what looks like hair line cracks on the right side and those lug bolts are tight. I will take them off and inspect the inside of the wheel tomorrow just to be sure!

/ catastrophic rim failor #19  
Sharp turns is soft soil with a full bucket ? I seen a fella do that with a backhoe pop the front wheel right off.

/ catastrophic rim failor #20  
Okay, I checked Deere parts. A lock washer is factory supplied on the front wheels of a 2027. Likely the wheels are not able to stand the stress of a FEL. I would use a regular washer instead of the lock washer when you replace the wheels.