Mowing Clearing the radiator of debris

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #11  
I have faced this for quite a long time. Brush hog on IH 424, MMM on JD 650, and two seasons now with front mount mower with rear discharge. Used water on the first two, but the radiator would eventually clog with the cement mix of dust, mud and veggie juice. When that happened, I sprayed radiator with hydrogen peroxide and kept it wet with it for about an hour. Then I would rinse it clean with garden hose. I like the detergent idea, but not the pressure washer. Now I use my EGO electric leaf blower.

prs

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #13  
I haven't, but I've made something very similar 10 years ago to wash out atv radiators after mudding.

Take a section of 1/4" copper ice maker line, put a bend in the end, and flatten out the opening so you get a nice fan spray instead of a point. Compression fitting to garden hose, and add a shutoff and you are good.

I made an extra long one for the excavator.

My excavator has hydraulic, air conditioner, and engine radiators all sandwiched together. They were clogged solid. Compressed air got a lot out, but not enough. Water did pretty good, but hitting it with a heavy mix of dawn and water in a spray bottle, let it sit, and then flush with the tool above took all the debris out and it's as clean as new.

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #14  

I've been using the Radiator Genie with my air compressor for my mowing tractors this summer. It works great. For a quick cleaning to get back in the field, I use my Stihl blower but the Genie does a more thorough job if there's sufficient air in my compressor tank. I haven't tried the Radiator Genie with the garden hose outlet yet.

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #15  
never never never clean a radiator with water. It turns the dust to mud and it will never come out. A leaf blower is the ticket.

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #16  
I use a leaf blower most of the time, and use it often. About once a year I take the time to soak the radiators with water and a mild detergent, and keep them wet while I'm doing something else. Then I come back to them and spray them clean from the front and the back. I repeat until they are 100% clean, and don't stop until they are. As others have said, water can set the dust to be like concrete. But if you take your time you can use it to get all of the gunk out. Just be sure to only use water if you have the time to do it right.
I made a cleaner from a garden hose watering wand. It has a spring loaded grip lever to turn it on/off, an aluminum tube 2' long or so, and had a sprinkler head on the end. I cut off the sprinkler head and flattened the aluminum tubing to create a flat spray at a 90* angle from the tube. It works great!

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #18  
My daughter just had her A/C evaporator coil cleaned. The tech showed us before/after pics. The difference was amazing. I don't know what kind of chemical/detergent he used, but it did not involve compressed air or any significant amount of water. Maybe one of our resident HVAC techs can comment, or give your local HVAC supply shop a call to see what they sell the most of.

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #19  
Hi all,

While brush hogging I've been getting plant debris and dust that gets by the screen clogging up the AC condenser and the radiator. I don't have a water outlet or electric at the property, so far I've been clearing it with a brush and canned air. That has helped but it isn't getting it as cleared as I would like. Today the AC was mediocre and the engine tended to run warm despite my attempts to keep it clear so I'm looking for a better way.

I have pond, thought about trying to get some kind of 12V pump to spray it out but I'm not sure I would get enough pressure. I've thought about a portable air tank that I could refill with a 12V air compressor while there. Another thought was a portable hand pump sprayer as is used with herbicide/insecticide applications, but again I'm not sure there would be enough pressure or volume to clear the debris.

I'd love your ideas/experience/suggestions.

Thanks!

Never had a radiator clogging problem with my 2008 Mahindra 5525.

Mahindra 5525 front grill details.PNG

The radiator itself is enclosed by the hood on top, the battery tray structure on the bottom, and the nose of the tractor that carries a screen that keeps crap off the radiator. It's a lot easier to clean that nose screen in the field than to clean the radiator air passages. One of the things Mahindra got right on the 5525.

Good luck

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #20  
never never never clean a radiator with water. It turns the dust to mud and it will never come out. A leaf blower is the ticket.

But when the previous owner likely ran the unit in the rain after a dusty environment....then it's already plugged with "mud" and just air isn't going to budge it anyways. Air alone certainly didn't clean mine, but I did try it first. It took detergent and water to get it clean.