Just Saving Sime Old Iron

/ Just Saving Sime Old Iron
She's Got Great Potential. Good Luck With your Project, Look forward to seeing the "After" Pics

/ Just Saving Sime Old Iron #12  
She's Got Great Potential. Good Luck With your Project, Look forward to seeing the "After" Pics

The "potential" wasn't as obvious, after I got into it!

Yesterday, I hauled two loads of brush, just to "prove it's need".

Ltrailer3.JPG Ltrailer4.JPG

Yesterday afternoon, I took on the "restoration". I spent most of today in the hot blistering sun, burning off bolt heads.

Ltrailer6.JPG Ltrailer7.JPG Ltrailer8.JPG

When I finished today, I hadn't salvaged much, except the outside frame rails.

Ltrailer10.JPG Ltrailer5.JPG

I can't find any metal "hat channel" with the same dimensions, so I believe I'll replace the bolsters with oak.
I still have to straighten the axle, and replace the wheel grease seals, races, bearings and dust caps. Plus, I believe, I'll get a new tongue.

After getting in to it, I believe, it was a "kit trailer".

Believe me, I had Many..."..What The **** am I Doing??!!" Moments while taking that Spreader apart. it's all part of the FUN... so they say... "They" that have Never Don't it! Good Luck

/ Just Saving Sime Old Iron #15  
   / Just Saving Sime Old Iron #16  
I think, this project is in the right forum ("Build-It Yourself"), but maybe the wrong thread ("Just Saving Some Old Iron"), as I haven't saved much old iron!

The frame is nearly done. I used full dimension 2x4 oak, some is cut down in size. The side rails are full, but have the inside corners cut out, to receive the 3/4" plywood deck. The hardware is mostly carriage bolts and lags, with a few machine bolts. The spring hangers are installed.

I have the springs to clean up, yet, the bearings, etc. to put in the axle hubs, post pockets on the front and sides and build the sides and paint ..... I think!

Frame1.JPG frame2.JPG frame3.JPG frame6.JPG frame7.JPG frame8.JPG frame4.JPG

Last edited:
Sometimes, what starts out as a "Labor of Love" ... NOT BY CHOICE...becomes a "Love of Labor"
I Think Once We reach the MENTAL, "Point of No Return" We Convince Ourselves it's All Worth it!!!

You're Building a whole NEW trailer there! Looks Great

/ Just Saving Sime Old Iron #18  
Thanks SuperA! I think, it will be around for generations, if somebody doesn't over load it, or jack knife it, backing up and run over the tongue.

/ Just Saving Sime Old Iron #19  
LTrailer1.JPG done1.JPG

Before and after shots.
Well, it's all done, except for putting some deck sealer on it after the wood dries out. I had to get pressure treated for the sides, as they didn't have any 5/4 x 6" without. The only thing, I have reserves about is the oak tongue, but removing 3 nuts will allow putting on a steel tongue. It was more of a project, than I anticipated, to attain my goal. .... "A BEER TRAILER"!

LTrailer2.JPG done2.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent Job, You really made SOMETHING out of NOTHING there!
Put a $10 set of Harbor Freight Lights on it and she's Road Worthy!
....You Done Good Son...Now don't You Dare go and get Her all Dirty!!!!