Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers
Maybe I should sell the thing :duh:

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #52  
I don't know where the 92" measurement came from but probably was a typo. A 4520 and 4720 with R4 tires is about 72" width and will work fine with your box blade. I would think that any of the higher hp compacts will work with this box blade.

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #53  
Maybe I should sell the thing :duh:

As you point out, it's kind of a strange size. Probably won't even be able to find a buyer. Better just ship it to me and I'll make sure it rusts in peace. ;)

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #54  
That 92" width is about 20" off. Think about it. The stated width with R1's is 65". You think the R4's make it 27" wider?

Last edited:
   / Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #55  
You're processing the right data. Some tractors allow u to adjust the width. I think there are plenty of options that will work for you.

My 76" Gannon hangs just inches wide on my L5240 with R4s and handles beautifully with cab and loaded tires.

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #56  
Ok, I've spent some time on this. Probably should not have purchased the box blade before the tractor (even if it was available and at a great price). I was looking at the John Deere 4720 (or the 4520) but the problem is the tire width. This is only a 72" box blade and the 4720 is 92" with the R4 tires. Yes, I could go with the R1s (at a 65.5" width) but that's a super agressive tread that might be bad for finish grading.

Truly I'm not sure why Gannon makes this box blade in this narrow of width (i.e. 72"). I can see their other ones make more sense (i.e. 84" or 92"). It's super heavy and a CAT 2. There are not many 50-90HP tractors that are less than 72" in rear wheel width and a CAT 2 hitch.

But maybe I am missing something here :confused3:

It is a really heavy duty blade to be only 72" but you can probably find a tractor that will work and the extra weight will be nice for FEL work. My tractor is about 70 HP and 6 ft wide with a cat 2 hitch.

I was just looking on the Kubota website and I dont' see the width but the M62 TLB looks like it might be a good fit.
http://www.kubota.com/product/M62/M62.aspx

Also looks like the M5660 might be a good fit.
http://www.kubota.com/product/M5660/M5660.aspx

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #57  
I.

I was just looking on the Kubota website and I dont' see the width but the M62 TLB looks like it might be a good fit.
http://www.kubota.com/product/M62/M62.

I believe the M62 is about 74" wide, however your right, that would be an excellent match for a heavy blade like this.

I still think the full size backhoe with 4 in 1 is going to do a whole lot better job (and faster) than this box blade ever will.

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #58  
You're processing the right data. Some tractors allow u to adjust the width. I think there are plenty of options that will work for you.

My 76" Gannon hangs just inches wide on my L5240 with R4s and handles beautifully with cab and loaded tires.

What is the maximum width adjustment on the 5240? I know that their is no way to get 92" width out of a 4520 or 4720. My 4520 with R4 tires is about 71.5 inches outside to outside as measured. No way to get 10 inches of offset out of the wheels on my tractors.

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #59  
I believe the M62 is about 74" wide, however your right, that would be an excellent match for a heavy blade like this.

I still think the full size backhoe with 4 in 1 is going to do a whole lot better job (and faster) than this box blade ever will.

If a 5740, 6060 with full ballast can handle an 84" box blade like this you would think a 72" would be a little easier to handle. The M59 or M62 with ballast would work well also.

About the 420, if I had it to use it would help with the bulk moving where needed, much faster for that purpose. Fine grading I would prefer to use the box blade and or land plane to finish.

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #60  

I have both on my tractor (4 in 1 and box blade with rippers) and I much prefer to use the rear blade. Visibility is great and with a top and tilt that blade will do amazing things. the 4 in 1 is nice but you really can't see what you are doing like you can off the back.