Learning curve on a mini-excavator?

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #11  
The BX 25 would do just fine. Just take a little more time.

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #12  
That's a good point. The land is sloped from flat to maybe 10 degrees. For the work part, I should be facing downhill.
When digging on slopes I generally prefer for the blade to be below/behind me - on the downhill side - and for the actual work to be above me on the uphill side.

If at all possible, you don't want to be uphill of the work and using the machine to dig uphill - which in effect is pulling the machine in the direction of the location of the work (downhill)

Sometimes there isn't any other choice ... and assuming the blade has sufficient downward travel, you can get the machine sitting relatively level and it won't be a problem ... just be careful about how far out you extend the boom ... the further it's extended, the more leverage it has.

So, are you saying I should lower the front blade so as to level the unit on all sides?
Yes ... the blade should be lowered so that the machine is as level as you can get it ... even to the point that the tips/ends of the tracks on the end that the blade is on, are raised above the ground.

You want the blade engaged into the ground, with a substantial portion of the unit's weight ... so that the unit is less prone to being pulled/pushed around.

Whether the blade is "front" or "rear" depends on the orientation of the cab on the unit ... most of the them rotate a full 360 degrees ... ;)

A couple more things: I generally prefer to traverse any slopes straight up and down if possible ... and not travel sideways across them ... with the boom (and/or cab) facing towards the uphill side, with the boom arms lowered and even possibly extended somewhat to provide a counter-balance - regardless of whether I'm going up (forward travel), or coming down (reverse travel ... with me and the cab facing up the slope)

Sometimes, you have to cross a slope sideways to get where you need to go ... in that case, the boom arms (and/or cab) need to pointed uphill and at a minimum lowered, and possibly even extended somewhat to provide counter-balance ... which leaves you sitting perpendicular (90 degrees) to the direction of travel.

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #13  
Yep that helps. Just be careful the trees can and will hurt you if you are careless. Ed
Re-examine the post you are replying to ... you answer is confirming a very less than ideal operating scenario.

The OP asked if he should be facing downhill ... ideally, he would be facing uphill.

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #14  
Rent a large machine don't fool around with a mini. Also get one with a hydraulic thumb as most of those stumps can be ripped right out of the ground quickly.

I have a 10K lbs. machine of my own and if I was going to do what you are asking just get a larger one and get the job done quickly. Some of those 8 inch stumps take time to dig out even with that size machine.

Good luck, Fred

Depends on the ground

I have had 5" oaks etc, stop my 18K machine when the roots grow under ledge or the roots are mixed into surrounding larger trees.
I have had 12" trees come out of the ground like I was pulling weeds in soft soil.

12- 18k machine should be fine in normal ground, full size in tough situation.

Yes, get a thumb

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #15  
Re-examine the post you are replying to ... you answer is confirming a very less than ideal operating scenario.

The OP asked if he should be facing downhill ... ideally, he would be facing uphill.

Yep you are right, I missed that. Thanks Ed

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #16  
Here is the real problem. Once you run one of these for a day or two, you will have to own it. I have a Yanmar Vio55 with a thumb and I'd about clear somebodies acreage for free. It's a kick to see how much you can get done in so little time. For sure get the thumb. A smaller excavator without a thumb is simply incomplete.

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #17  
My favorite rental guy has a Takeuchi TB285. This is a fantastic machine- ~ 18k lbs. I've done stuff with it that I probably don't want to be made public!:D (the owner, however, is well aware of my exploits; he even has had his hand in some of it!) Dug out a stump from a freshly cut Cottonwood tree measuring about 44" at the butt: I've had old cedar stumps that were WAAY bigger!

My first rental was a smaller Vio30 (I think it was a 30). Starting out with a bigger machine you're going to have to be a lot more careful because things can go WRONG in a lot bigger proportions: I got a 331 Bobcat stuck last summer- I was able to get it out using my truck (winching off of it); if I were to stick the TB285 I'd be in a world of hurt (I never get close to soft ground with it)!

To the OP, go watch some instructional videos on Youtube. Yup, they're a big help to get you going right out of the gate.

Go slow. If you find that you're jerking around (Bobcats, to me, seem easier to jerk around) you're probably trying to work too fast; try to concentrate on doing functions more serially than in parallel. What I mean is that if you're curling and raising the bucket and swinging the carriage it's easy to start bucking around- slow the swing and get the bucket movement more complete and THEN get more into the swing. I find that when I get tired (these things will work you!) I start getting jerky.

At first you'll try to THINK too much about operating it. You really need to FEEL operating it. It's like riding a bicycle, if you try to think about all the stuff that's needed to ride it you're going to get stupid and crash:laughing:

As folks suggest: MUST HAVE A THUMB! Only time you wouldn't need one is if you're digging in clean soil.

Have fun! Be safe!

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #18  
If I had a hoe on my tractor I would not rent an excavator. I hate being rushed and rent tends to do that. Take your time and enjoy the hoe you have. I know that is not the answer everyone likes but it is what I would do because I like running a hoe. Ed

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #19  
If I had a hoe on my tractor I would not rent an excavator. I hate being rushed and rent tends to do that. Take your time and enjoy the hoe you have. I know that is not the answer everyone likes but it is what I would do because I like running a hoe. Ed

I'd hope that if one shelled out for a backhoe that they used IT instead of running out and renting an excavator!;)

It really depends, though. Life has lots of variables.

I'm slow about things. I like to think a lot about what I need to do: sometimes, however, I can be pretty compulsive and kind of operate under ADD impulse:laughing: I keep a "project" list of what requires "bigger power" (than what I have). When I'm ready I'll rent and then cross items off that list: just did that, 2 day rental of an excavator and I removed something like 17 stumps (some attached to small trees), two MASSIVE stumps that, I'm figuring, no backhoe could deal with (OK, no backhoe that would be able to travel on the property without rutting the heck out of it): I could post an example of a picture but I'd rather not put something out in the public domain such as it out of fear of the authorities knocking on my door (seriously).

Given how carried away I can get digging with an excavator I figure it's probably best, for me, to not have a full-time digger available!:D

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator?
Well, I caved and just ordered the BXpanded ripper tooth. I'd love to get the excavator but just started a new job and I'd feel rushed to use it. Like DieselBound, I'm an adult ADD case and always thinking of the fastest way to do something even though I might have slower but usable tools around me. If nothing else, I'll chime in on how well the ripper tooth works.