What's reasonable expectations on out of warranty repairs?

/ What's reasonable expectations on out of warranty repairs? #1  

Hersheyfarm

Veteran Member
So had dealer split my m59 and replace both transmission shaft seal and 4x4 shaft seal, picked it up last Friday and still dripping. Would like to think it's residual oil but a week and 6 hour runtime should be out by now. Sent pic to dealer to start conversation. He said just to run it for a while, and kinda said it's normal to have a little oil there. Yesterday and overnight it sat in barn with a bowl under it and it dripped about a quarter size spot. I know Kubota only gives like 30 days on parts, and dealer mentioned could be a bent shaft or bad shaft so they have that to fall back on.

In realty, could I expect them to want to get paid again to split tractor? If the shaft was bent it would seem difficult to get seal on. I also changed filter and fluid after the hydraulics were opened. So not really wanting to deal with this again.

/ What's reasonable expectations on out of warranty repairs? #2  
So with a quarter-size oil spot in twenty-four hours, topping the oil through a year will cost you ~~~~$1.00?

If you authorized transmission shaft seal and 4x4 shaft seal replacement, and the dealer did what you authorized, what remedy do you expect?

How many engine hours on the seven year old tractor? Any new noise or vibration?

Last edited:
   / What's reasonable expectations on out of warranty repairs? #3  
So with a quarter-size oil spot overnight, topping up the oil through a year will cost you ~~~~$1.00?

How many engine hours on the tractor? At some point in time they all drip.

Yes but he paid the dealer to fix the issue and it's still dripping. Good luck. Hopefully they will get It right. I agree that they should've checked the shaft to be true when they had it out if that was a possibility for its failure

Brett

/ What's reasonable expectations on out of warranty repairs? #4  
The shaft may be grooved after 7 years. Would the OP want to pay for a new shaft to fix the problem or deal with a small drip.

/ What's reasonable expectations on out of warranty repairs? #5  
I agree that they should've checked the shaft to be true when they had it out if that was a possibility for its failure

A careful reading does NOT reveal what problem the OP presented to the dealer to solve. Perhaps OP did not want to pay dealer $X,XXX to have the shaft removed and checked for trueness because a replacement shaft would be additional BIG BUCKS in material, instead authorized just seal replacements for $XXX.

I am interested in learning the engine hours.

I would be interested in learning if the seven year old M59 is a one-owner or multiple-owner tractor.

What about this expedient for a minor drip?

9/18/2016

Re: M59 front drive shaft leak.

ns_in_tex

This is probably too late, but wanted to pass it on to you and others.
Circumstances not closely related but, on our L4610 with 3200 hrs, we had a slow drip from somewhere on our front axle. Would leave about a 3" circle on concrete after sitting a day.

I think we found on tractorbynet, someone who highly recommended ATP AT-205 reseal oil stop leak which solved a problem for him, so we decided we would try it. We went to every auto parts store we could find and no one had this product. They had lots of others, but all had a different product for different leak jobs. The ATP AT-205 says it works in all oil type applications. We found it online at summitracing.com. Purchased a 8oz can for 16.92 delivered price. Installed it 2 months ago and so far, no more oil spots.

There are multiple threads in the T-B-N archive commenting on efficacy of ATP AT-205: Google: T-B-N

Last edited:
   / What's reasonable expectations on out of warranty repairs?
762hr. I took to dealer to fix leak, whatever it took. The shaft talk was never a thought or mentioned til I sent pic of leak this morning. jeff I bought new in 2010, Fluid has been changed 5 times. Also jeff, at 70hr both hydro pumps were replaced after failure. kubota's opinion was because it sat for 2 years on dealers lot.

I paid 1200, another 1000 would have been fine if thats what it cost but wasn't given that option.

and when I took it last week, my leak was so bad when it was hot it would look like ac condensate coming out of weep hole.

/ What's reasonable expectations on out of warranty repairs? #8  
and when I took it last week, my leak was so bad when it was hot it would look like ac condensate coming out of weep hole.

From what you wrote in Post #1, this hot leak was before the seal replacements, so it is not germane, except in the sense of documenting a major reduction in fluid loss after the seal replacements.

"Yesterday and overnight it sat in barn with a bowl under it and it dripped about a quarter size spot."

Last edited:
yes, you were asking for info, thought I would let you know what I was experiencing as far how bad a leak I was dealing with. past leak has nothing to do with new drip. And yes, I did read that post when it was originally written about the additive but I don't think I want to go that route.

/ What's reasonable expectations on out of warranty repairs? #10  
So with a quarter-size oil spot in twenty-four hours, topping the oil through a year will cost you ~~~~$1.00? If you authorized transmission shaft seal and 4x4 shaft seal replacement, and the dealer did what you authorized, what remedy do you expect? How many engine hours on the seven year old tractor? Any new noise or vibration?
More like a $1 a day at that rate. What does it matter anyway? He paid to have the leak fixed. Even with that aside I don't want my tractor leaving huge puddles in the shop or driveway, and killing grass in the yard. My L3240 had a similar failure and it leaked a lot worse when hot.