Bluegrass build... one step at a time.

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #21  
Congratulations on your land, I'm looking forward to following your progress. I'm new to horses and mostly just like them as yard ornaments. I found that a hot wire works wonders at getting them to respect a fence. Once they get zapped, then never try it again!!!

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #22  
Congratulations on your land, I'm looking forward to following your progress. I'm new to horses and mostly just like them as yard ornaments. I found that a hot wire works wonders at getting them to respect a fence. Once they get zapped, then never try it again!!!
Typically, but not always, a shock to the nose will likely cause a horse to jump back and turn to another direction where as one to the chest may motivate them to go forward. If I have to introduce a horse to electric, I try to set up the former situation.

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #23  
That is one of the most beautiful area's in this country..JMO

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time.
I agree JDL...

I grew up in well outside of, Durango, in SW Colorado... which I believe to be every bit as beautiful. I was in the mountains, but the dessert is within an hour or two. I love the place, but it isn't where I live now.

The funny thing is, I never knew 'Lexington/Bluegrass' existed... I mean, I had heard about the Kentucky Derby etc, but I never really KNEW about the Bluegrass area. A few years back, I was taken there for the first time, in the spring, just after a rain. We drove from Louisville towards Lexington, getting off the Interstate and taking Old Frankfort Pike the rest of the way into town. Until you've driven Old Frankfort Pike its entire length, you can't honestly say you've seen the best of the Bluegrass, IMO. We popped up over a rise, and I saw exactly where I wanted to spend my life. The lush green fields, horses, barns, fences, and hills. It was immediately perfect for me.

My downfall came... when I had lunch at Wallace Station. That little place became the epicenter for my future endeavor in finding property. My wife would laugh at me, when I wasn't happy with property in the Paris area... because it wasn't close to Wallace Station. Their $2.95 Country Ham biscuit is my favorite breakfast. The feeling I get walking into that place is awesome. I can honestly say, that I feel 'home' and 'peace' when I am in the area.

We looked for over 2 years, knowing our tastes where above our means, but unwilling to take less than our hope and dreams. We knew that we couldn't get a 'done farm' but honestly... I didn't want one. I wanted a place that would be MINE... from the bottom to the top. What I envisioned... not some Billionaire or other quick in/quick out. I wanted to build my own mistakes... my own thoughts... my own dreams into the land. I knew that I wanted to be within close distance to Wallace Station to grab a biscuit... but I also wanted to be close to the track (Keeneland) to watch morning workouts.

Well, after 2 years, a property came on the market... that was perfect for us in everything but price. You have to realize, our tastes in location are far above our bank account, and this place was no exception. But... it was 160ac... we didn't need that many. I watched it for some time, dreaming about it, when I noticed a change in the listing. "Will divide" was added to the narrative. I immediately contacted my wife, and we decided to take a look. We fell in love. Our initial intent of 40ac quickly morphed into 80 or so. By the time I had laid out our lines, it turned out that 84ac was on the table. The land checks every single one of our boxes... except 'paid in full'. But, we took the chance. I've only regretted those things I have not taken the chance on... I was NOT going to look back on this opportunity and say "Shoulda, woulda, coulda". I would rather die broke than wish I had pulled the trigger. So... although I do very well, this is a stretch, so we are looking to save where we can as often as we are able.

Ultimately... I wanted to walk onto my porch in the morning and honestly say, "I am exactly where I want to be." I have only said that as a child, growing up, standing on my Grandpa's porch. He was the one who taught me that phrase. He would say, as he hitched up his pants, "Boy, this place is exactly where I want to be." Then he would tip back his hat, and look around. He was a man that truly appreciated where he lived, and loved it every day. It was almost a ritual, and I am truly grateful for his enjoyment.

So now, I wake at about 4am on most days of my 'vacation' eager for the dawn, so I can work on my property. Should I choose, I can be at Wallace Station within 5 min. I can be at Keeneland in the same amount of time. I lament the end of the day, but enjoy it just the same, sitting on the porch, looking out over a field, that while not ours... is right next to ours. (We are renting a small house on the property next door to our place, while we work on our own place.) I can look over at my wife and smile... and know that I am exactly where I want to be.

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #25  
OH KENTUCKY..The best kept secret in the U.S. JMO

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #26  
I graduated from UK and Lexington is indeed a beautiful place. I always tell people that want to go to the Kentucky Derby to go to Keeneland instead. One of the nicest tracks in the country. Congrats on the farm. Is that castle still on Versailles Road?

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #27  
Sorry, I just can't believe the San Juan Mountains arround Durango can be beat! :drink:

I graduated from UK and Lexington is indeed a beautiful place. I always tell people that want to go to the Kentucky Derby to go to Keeneland instead. One of the nicest tracks in the country. Congrats on the farm. Is that castle still on Versailles Road?

Ohhhh... the Castle... Yes, Its still there. In fact, it is the landmark at which I tell people to turn to find our place. Its on the corner of Pisgah Pike and whenever the word "castle" is brought up in the area, there is always head shaking to be seen.

The word on the street is that its on the market for somewhere north of $12M... So, if you are interested, just let me know. '40ac and a Castle'... doesn't have the gravitas of '40ac and a mule'.

Its been a while since I've posted here. Lots of working on the farm.

Mainly over the past month or so, I've worked on fence and fence row brush, removal. I have to say, one of the very best investments I have made is in the Danuser Intimidator. It has absolutely made fence, tree, and brush removal a breeze. Combined with my new MASSIVE root grapple, and I've been able to move about anything on my property I have set a mind to.

IMG_3248.JPGIMG_3283.JPGIMG_3243.JPG

Pulling fence with the Intimidator is straight forward and easy. I or my wife, cuts wire about every 3 to 5 posts. All strands are cut. I will pull post 1, 2, 4, and 5 and drop them on the ground. I then to go post 3 and pull it, pulling it as I reverse. This pulls all other posts remaining attached, as well as all wire. This is key, because the wire is the hard thing to deal with for me. Leaving the wire attached to several posts keeps it manageable and together. The fence consists of a mix of woven wire with a barbed wire strand along the top. But there are also MANY patches consisting of heavy guage 'panels' of 4x8-10' welded wire, intermixed. Given that this will all be new pastures for horses, I have to insure that every piece of wire is picked up and removed. I've done my best, but intermittently, I'll find a piece laying about. Luckily, the wire is mostly old and fragile, and the barbed wire is about 3-shakes from total rusty dirt as it is. I had multiple internal fences within the property. They are all gone now. My peripheral fence is of the same 'model' ie 50yo woven/barbed/panel patched fence. It is about 2miles circumference. The internal fence was approximately a mile or so, broken up into sections.

IMG_3308.JPGIMG_3313.JPGIMG_3319.JPG

After the fence was out, I needed to work on incorporating and smoothing them into a single overall pasture, smooth enough for a horse to be running across the previous fence row, without tripping or losing a step. I don't want the previous fence rows and buildup to constrain my own final paddock layout. Therefore, I am currently working on the dirt. And to that effect, I flew to Dallas and came back with a little testosterone induced purchase.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I had been looking for a truck, and had no luck locally. I knew that Dallas was a location that had supplied most of the trucks which are local, therefore, I decided to cut out the middle man. That is a story in and of itself, which I'll detail at a later date. But, in addition to the truck, I had found a potential dirt pan in Arkansas. It just so happened that it was only about 30miles out of my way, on the drive back. So, I called the owner/refurbisher (RS BASS) and he was gracious enough to meet me on a Sunday morning, as I drove through town.

I took a look at the 6.5yd dirt pan, knew I liked it and just had to figure out how to get it home. I needed a trailer. But where to find one, on a Sunday morning? I tossed around renting a U-haul car hauler, but quickly realized that although the weight might be OK, the overall machine would no doubt have caused me trouble with any Cop on the road. So... think... think... HELLO Craigslist!!!

I found a used 28' Gooseneck trailer about 40miles away for a great price. It is an old trailer, but the guy had recently put a new deck, axles, and brakes on it. He was going to haul a Backhoe, but found the trailer was just too light with single wheel tandems, for such a heavy beast. So he parked it and bought a dually tandem heavy weight trailer. I looked the trailer over, handed over the cash, and set out to pick up my dirt pan. But... I remembered, while at the dirt pan place, there was a long drag blade that I thought might really be useful for smoothing out the shallow roll/dips I noticed on my property. I'm trying to prep the place for the next 30 years of mowing. I'd like to have it as smooth and easy to care for as possible. And NOW is the time I can do my best at it. There is no reason other than me, to not have it in great shape come pasture mowing time.

So, I made an offer on both the dirt pan and blade, he accepted, and we loaded. Chained it down with some Harbor Freight chains and boomers which held wonderfully, I might add. And hit the road.

Made it home the next morning, totaling around 900miles, 550 of which were towing a GN with dirt pan and blade. That new (to me) 2006 F-350 crew, dually, diesel was awesome. I've never driven one before, but it pulled that load of about 13000lbs without a bit of drag.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3466.JPG

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #30  
I'm late to the party as usual, but welcome and very nice place you have bought.

Am I understanding you are 80, or just planning for when you are 80?

That was quite the road trip to Dallas. My friend hired some people who came in with some very large equipment to grade his runway strip. I don't know how wide their land plane was, but they got about 50 acres worth done in a few days. You might find that if you have your place "heavy disked", it might help your tractor pull that thing. If the soil is soft enough, you might be fine.

Anyway, interesting thread. The aerial view shows the small pond, won't this be good enough for the horses? I'm horse ignorant...