How to drill 2" hole in chrome bumper.

/ How to drill 2" hole in chrome bumper. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I have a 2003 F150 which I use tow a 19' flatbed trailer. The female 7 pin plug assembly is attached to the bottom of the bumper with a metal bracket that hangs down below the bumper. Recently this assembly has been damaged twice because of its location.

I would like to put it in the bumper itself just to the driver's side of the license plate area.

This will require me to drill an approximately 2" round hole in the bumper along with 4 small screw holes to hold the plug assembly to the bumper.

I have a good powerful drill and I have various punches and decent regular drill bits but nothing that will drill a 2" hole.

What do I need to drill a 2" hole in a chrome bumper? Are there any special precautions or techniques I need to use with chrome? Cosmetics are not a concern. The truck is ugly and beat up.

Thanks for any assistance here.

/ How to drill 2" hole in chrome bumper. #2  
A regular bi-metal hole saw available at Home Cheapot or Lowes will do the trick easily. Use low speed and some oil.

/ How to drill 2" hole in chrome bumper. #3  
I think I would try a 2" hole saw with a 1/4" pilot bit. I would start by drilling the pilot hole first using a separate bit. Then insert the pilot bit and hole saw and give it a go. Go slow because a large hole saw can twist that drill around and hurt you if it binds up. I would also recommend you buy the better quality hole saw and a good arbor for it. It may take two hole saws because chrome is tough to drill and work. Once through the chrome plate the rest is easy enough.

Go slow and use cutting oil or other coolant.

/ How to drill 2" hole in chrome bumper.
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure a hole saw would work but I'll give it a try.

Kenny, love your web site!

/ How to drill 2" hole in chrome bumper. #5  
It will.. I've drilled stainless counter tops in industrial kitchens. use a piloted hole saw, bi metal, slow speed, and oil, as mentioned.

/ How to drill 2" hole in chrome bumper. #6  
a hole saw will work just fine, I have drilled several bumpers with no problems. I do suggest you predrill the pilot hole and when using the holesaw, to go slow, not trying to apply to much pressure. Let the saw do its thing without trying to force it and it will last you for several holes. A good cutting oil really helps.

/ How to drill 2" hole in chrome bumper. #7  
When using a hole saw I resort to a little trick that I learned,
I drill a 1/4" hole and then remove the drill bit and replace it with a hard 1/4" rod or piece of shafting.
Reason being that the drill bit continues to cut the sides and widen the pilot hole which results in an oversized hole from the hole saw wobbling action.
I also once ground off the outer edges of a hole saw teeth to get an even more accurate hole. (hole saws have staggered teeth for wood work to clear passage)
\
PS,using your grinder, grind away the chrome B4 attacking with the hole saw should help.

/ How to drill 2" hole in chrome bumper. #8  
Better to use water than a 'lubricating' oil when cutting. If you have 'black oil' (sulpherated) use it.

/ How to drill 2" hole in chrome bumper. #9  
The nickel and chrome plating are probably less than .001" total thickness

/ How to drill 2" hole in chrome bumper.
I've got water, WD-40, motor oil, 3-n-1, spray lubricating oil and thread cutting oil like you use with tap and die. Which one? The cutting oil is thick and a little tacky to the touch.