LPGS sizing question

/ LPGS sizing question #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I've picked up several grader blades cheap over the past year planning on an eventual LPGS. Looking at about 72-78" wide or so to match my 72" track & blades (some are bigger though).Probably aiming for 1,000lbs or so to match up with my 40hp & 5,500 of tractor. It will mostly be used for driveway maintenance, although land smoothing might not be out of the equation if I get any relevant gigs. I might be able to go wider, but I don't think I could go full driveway width, so might as well leave it a bit more manageable & maneuverable while planning on a minimum of 2 passes.

I was at the scrap yard they had some 15" tall C channel that was 5' long. Think it was 2-3" wide. There were some I beams of similar size there as well. Didn't grab anything, but may go back for em, or just head back from time to time to keep looking for better options.

What would you recommend for side plates? I was thinking about 7' long. Looking for big rectangular tube C channel rather than I beams I think as it will be easier to box in C channel to keep from carrying dirt around on the lips. Likely to weld some kind of skid plate to the bottom as well.

Any strong opinions on the angle to mount the blades at? Lots of washboard around here, so at least some angle would be good. I hear even with a fair bit of angle you don't get much lateral movement of material.

Build might be occurring this summer, if I end up foraging up the proper build materials for a good price before then.

/ LPGS sizing question #2  
My 7 footer is 1400lbs, 84"long, 22" tall sides, 3/8" thick. My 5 footer is 800lbs, 72" long, 18" sides, 3/8"thick. Cutting edges on the 7 footer have an 18" angle what ever that works out to be in degrees? And are currently 21" apart. Pretty sure that if I ever get some time I will move the rear cutting edge back so it will be 30" apart on the 7 footer. My runner's are 2 & 1/2" wide. My angle to hold the cutting edges is 5/8" thick 4x6. These have been GREAT units for me, and have had no reason to want anything adjustable on them.

Yes you are correct in that the material migrates side ways very very little. I actually painted a stripe on the ground to watch how much it did actually move side ways. In my test it was less than 1" after going over both cutting edges.

Attachments

• P4260025.JPG
    P4260025.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 251
  • P4190010.JPG
    P4190010.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 217
   / LPGS sizing question #3  
Material movement depends on the angle of the blades.
Most LP's have 15 degree angle blades, I set my blades at 20 degrees.

When I "lift" the side of the LP that has the end of the blade "back",
I get a lot of material moving sideways.

I made my sides out of 1/2 X 12 inch steel bar, 6 feet long.
My runners are 1 x 3 inch steel bar,,, lots of weight, will never wear out!! :thumbsup:

/ LPGS sizing question #4  
If your driveway is long and straight then I would go about 6 foot long. If you have plenty of sharper turns then stay about 4' long. How wide is your driveway at it's narrowest? Mine is 6' wide and works well for me. That's about the right width for a 10' to 12' wide driveway. Anything wider would be too wide for me. I would add ripping shanks to it. You'll have to buy them but they are worth their weight in gold when it comes to breaking up packed gravel. I try to do my road maintenance after some rain but in the summer that's not always an option. Rippers make short work of potholes. Just be careful if you have fabric as they also rip it to shreds.

I would make the blade height adjustable. Mine has a frame that the blades mount to that sits inside the main frame that has the rippers and skids. I go between a half inch lower than the skids to about a half inch above. In the spring when the gravel isn't compacted and baked it's real easy to loosen p. Once it is the skids sink into the loosened gravel and the blades will dig up too much gravel. Finally make sure you put some sort of shoe on the skids. The gravel will wear it down pretty quickly.

As for blade angle, mine are but I rarely move so much gravel that it pulls it to the center to create a hump. Maybe it's because I don't let the driveway get that far gone. Why would you? You have a tractor, who wouldn't want to spend a couple hours smoothing your driveway. After a couple of times you'll be able to make it smooth as pavement. People who live near you will be jealous.

For me typical maintenance is putting the rippers down and digging up all the spots that are the worse. I even shorten up the top link to let them get plenty deep. Once done I readjust the top link and raise them so I can start to move the gravel around. The blades are usually a 1/2" lower than the skids, this does a great job filling in any washboards and potholes. Then I raise them for the finish pass to smooth it out. Finally I'll use the bucket to back drag and really pack it down. I can do about a half mile of drive in about 2 to 3 hours.

/ LPGS sizing question #5  
I believe the main benefit of the angled blades on most LPGs is not movement of material to the side, but concentrating much more of the weight on the cutting edge when cutting a crossways ridge, such as a washboard road.

Here is a simplified diagram

straight-angled-LPGS.jpg

Bruce

/ LPGS sizing question
My driveway is 8-10' wide & pretty straight, but 30' x 60' or so near the house. I do side tractor work, so will be dealingbwith other driveways as well. I use the rippers on my box blade & sometimes it takes a couple passes with just them touching & some scrap chained to the top. Will likely be rigging up rippers on the LPGS to deal with our baked dry hard ground around here. My 72" King Kutter works, with some effort & multiple passes. Something heavier would be better & a LPGS should be faster, easier & hopefuly slightly better results.

Will definately look for something at least 6', preferably 7' or so long as that seems to be a consensus.

/ LPGS sizing question #7  
I have built two lpgs so far and would recommend heavy construction and long skids. I prefer the box tube skids as these do not hold gravel to drop on the grass. Longer skids of 6' would be good for straight runs imo. I would look for some drop pieces of larger rectangular tubing maybe 2x12, 3x12 or larger. You could fill them with sand or concrete for cheap added weight. A non flexing frame work with lots of weight is important, along with good grader blades properly angled to cut cleanly.

For driveways a lpgs ideally should be about half the width of the driveway. For smoothing larger areas such as pastures and parking lots wider is better. Most of my work is pasture smoothing in New Mexico as I find the gravel driveways and roads seem to stay in good shape and only need an annual touch up.

I recently built a heavy roller with 3ph and will soon try it out on a few projects. This roller weighs about 400 lbs./foot of width using 18" pipe sections filled with concrete. The segments allow for tight turns with little scrubbing. I took the pictures when I was testing it out. Wanted to be sure I could pick it up before continuing. The welding sucks, I did this before having cataract surgery, couldn't see what I was doing. Have to get the other eye done soon, recover from it before resuming any welding projects.

Here are pictures of my lpgs and roller.

Attachments

• Butch W  new lawn work 004.jpg
    Butch W new lawn work 004.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Butch W  new lawn work 003.jpg
    Butch W new lawn work 003.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Butch W  new lawn work 002.jpg
    Butch W new lawn work 002.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Butch W  new lawn work 001.jpg
    Butch W new lawn work 001.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 183
  • shop pad landplane 006.jpg
    shop pad landplane 006.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 140
  • landplane 002 triple weights.jpg
    landplane 002 triple weights.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 20161002_101448.jpg
    20161002_101448.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 205
  • 20161002_101437.jpg
    20161002_101437.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 192
  • 20161002_101459.jpg
    20161002_101459.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 196
   / LPGS sizing question #8  
Looks good jenkinph, thanks for sharing.

/ LPGS sizing question #9  
What did you use for bearings on your roller?

/ LPGS sizing question #10  
I really like that new roller Idea Steve. What do you think the total weight is?