pole shop

/ pole shop #21  
Like you said you lose the sheer. Plus it elevates the post above grade. It would let you use a shorter post. You're only going to get a little over 13' interior wall with a 16' post.

/ pole shop #22  
My boss chose to do that with a pole barn kit that was purchased from menards. IMO it was a really bad idea as those posts stuck in the ground give the building the strength to have minimal wood framing. Removing that strength while keeping the same framing is a recipe for disaster. He ended up going with some steel flat strapping diagonal bracing. It was pretty cheesy. I suspect you could add diagonal bracing inside the purlins and between the posts. I once saw a pole barn that used pre fabricated wall frames built on 9 ft centers. They had diagonal bracing built in and were built by the same company who did the trusses. It was amazing how fast they could slap up a building.

/ pole shop #23  
So you feel untreated posts will work for a shed how do you feel about using straight pine trees? I have about 15 pines that blew over in front of my house I have been tossing around the idea of using for poles for a wood shed and shed for my diesel tank.

That pine will last about 7 years untreated in Georgia. Either termites will eat it or it will rot.

/ pole shop #25  
So you feel untreated posts will work for a shed how do you feel about using straight pine trees? I have about 15 pines that blew over in front of my house I have been tossing around the idea of using for poles for a wood shed and shed for my diesel tank.

I would never pay retail money for untreated posts of any kind for building purposes. I don't think that's the ideal situation. But, I believe they can be used if protected from natural moisture and exposure. My interpretation of that is that the post will never, ever have moisture against it. So, with your trees, success will depend on your design and whether it prevents that moisture from accessing the posts??

/ pole shop #26  
I built this "Binzebo" last Summer. Set it on an existing concrete slab. I used the metal brackets to set the posts on. Required very good bracing in the railing to give it stability. As mentioned before you don't get any structural stability from a post sitting on top of concrete rather than buried in the ground and concrete poured around it.

20161128_153810 (1280x720).jpg

/ pole shop #27  
I would never pay retail money for untreated posts of any kind for building purposes. I don't think that's the ideal situation. But, I believe they can be used if protected from natural moisture and exposure. My interpretation of that is that the post will never, ever have moisture against it. So, with your trees, success will depend on your design and whether it prevents that moisture from accessing the posts??
Well I cut them yesterday 12' long going to peel them and stack them under my equipment shed somewhere to dry some and give it a go. Figure I'll paint the bottom with roofing tar or something then spray the top end periodically with used motor oil diesel fuel mix I use on my trailer bed. We have real sandy soil so keeping them dry is no problem.

/ pole shop #28  
Well I cut them yesterday 12' long going to peel them and stack them under my equipment shed somewhere to dry some and give it a go. Figure I'll paint the bottom with roofing tar or something then spray the top end periodically with used motor oil diesel fuel mix I use on my trailer bed. We have real sandy soil so keeping them dry is no problem.

Start a thread of your build. Get some pics of the posts now so we can see the fresh cut product. :)

/ pole shop #29  
Start a thread of your build. Get some pics of the posts now so we can see the fresh cut product. :)
I'll do it waiting on my missing loader right now to make the job easier. Just cut to length and skidded out right now.

/ pole shop #30  
I had to do a fence recently and went to rough sawn treated 6x6 timbers. The stuff you buy at the big box store is junk IMO. They use the cheapest treatment possible to increase profits.

QNAP is far superior to any water treatment as is penna. The telephone pole companies do not use the cheap water treatments for good reason.

50 year warranty is a joke. Go look at fence post pricing if you want to see which works the best. You will notice that creosote, QNAP, and Penna all brings about double the price of a water based treated post which is what you are likely buying at the lumber yard or big box store. Water based is cheap as are pole buildings. These manufacturers have done everything they can to be the cheapest from laminated posts to 29 gauge steel. Don't kid yourself into believing these are built to last the longest, they are built to be the cheapest.

Maybe I am kidding myself but..... my 32 year old MORTON still looks VERY GOOD!