Block Heater Surprise

/ Block Heater Surprise #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
I left the block heater plugged in the other day while working on my B9200 Kubota. I was working on the hydraulics in the shop at 55-60 degrees (F) and wanted to avoid using the glow plugs each time starting the engine. I do have a large exhaust fan but the block heater seems to minimize the smoke at startup as well as the wait time for glow plugs. (it's a 30 year old tractor so likes the heat)
What surprised me is, after having not started the engine for a while, how warm everything was. The engine valve cover was too hot to touch for more than a second. This is with a 430 watt block heater. Just surprised me how hot it was given all the area in which the coolant could give up heat.

/ Block Heater Surprise #2  
My tractor, a M7040 is larger and its glow plugs operate differently than yours but let me tell you of my experiences with block heaters and glow plugs.

My tractor sits in a shed without a door so it is as cold as outdoors which can go to as much as -40F.

The shed is 300 feet from my home so a came up with a way to turn on the block heater from inside my home.
Originally, I tried the wireless devices advertised for such jobs but found they do not work below a moderately cold temp. Very cold and they don't work. The companies admit this and if read carefully their literature says so as well.

I installed a contactor, really a relay for 120 volt circuits with a 24 volt AC coil to engage the contacts. This contactor turns on the power for the receptacle for the block heater. Also plugged into this receptacle is a blue outdoor spot light which is pointed at my home.

I got a 120 to 24 volt control transformer for approx $20. The contactor was $22.

For years I had a two conductor wire lying in the long grass running from my home to the tractor shed.

This year I buried a black poly water line and fished a 14 2 house wire in the pipe to carry my 24 volt AC control signal to my home. This wire was actually the cheapest and had minimal voltage loss when powering the contactor.

I can either flip a switch or turn a spring wound timer to activate the contactor and hence the block heater. Seeing the blue spot light come on lets me know the heater is working.

After an hour or 1.5 hours of block heater, the tractor is ready to go. However, because the engine block is warm, the electronic sensor which activates the glow plugs, thinks it is warm outside and the glow plugs do not come on. As the engine cranks, and it does so easily because the oil etc is warm, it is inhaling -40F air and it does not fire up easily.

The dealer mechanic told me of an undocumented work around where if you put the shuttle shift in forward and turn the key to start position. The glow plugs are heating although there is no indication on the dash. I count to ten, put the shuttle in neutral and the tractor fires instantly.

Dave M7040

/ Block Heater Surprise
That's interesting. Wonder how many folks could use this workaround? Looks like it would be an easy fix if the electrical engineers considered this scenario.

/ Block Heater Surprise #4  
My tractor, a M7040 is larger and its glow plugs operate differently than yours but let me tell you of my experiences with block heaters and glow plugs.

After an hour or 1.5 hours of block heater, the tractor is ready to go. However, because the engine block is warm, the electronic sensor which activates the glow plugs, thinks it is warm outside and the glow plugs do not come on. As the engine cranks, and it does so easily because the oil etc is warm, it is inhaling -40F air and it does not fire up easily.

The dealer mechanic told me of an undocumented work around where if you put the shuttle shift in forward and turn the key to start position. The glow plugs are heating although there is no indication on the dash. I count to ten, put the shuttle in neutral and the tractor fires instantly.

Dave M7040

My L3010 is the same way. It actually starts much easier (quicker really) but runs a little rough for a while w/o the block heater but of course this is tougher on the motor with the cold oil and rough start up. But with the block heater the starter has to crank a looooong time before it starts so I worry about the starter. I always wondered if there was a way to make the glow plugs run when the motor was warmed by a block heater.

Can't wait to try your suggestion - thank you very much.

gg

/ Block Heater Surprise
Awesome!

/ Block Heater Surprise #6  
If you have mice you may want to check engine area and air filter.

/ Block Heater Surprise #7  
If you have mice you may want to check engine area and air filter.

What are you trying to say Thomas - You think mice could cause this ?? Can you explain a little to help me understand.

In my case w/o the block heater at say -5* F the automatic glow plug timer goes on for 10 seconds or so and the motor catches and starts roughly on the first or second crank.

If I use the block heater to warm things up first the automatic glow plug timer only goes on for a second or less. It cranks over easy but takes a long time before it starts. When it does start it is smooth.

gg

/ Block Heater Surprise #8  
Dave M7040

So how does that work? It sounds like there is a workaround way to bypass the the sensor that keeps the glow plugs from being turned on even for starting whenever the temperature is high enough that glowplugs aren't needed. But if the circuit can turn on the glowplugs with the key on and the tranny in forward......and without any indication on the dash .......then does that mean that the glow plugs are normally on all the time the engine is running? Or if not, what turns them off?
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Block Heater Surprise #9  
I do not have one of the tractors but would guess it is a feedback, maybe the back up alarm searching for a ground and found it through the glow plug circuit, once the engine starts the DC current reverses and stops coming out of the battery and back into the battery stopping the current from feeding the glow plugs when it is running , a diode somewhere would explain the theory. When I was a child we would play in the family Ford Galaxy and if we turned on the four way flashers and step down on the brake we could listen to the radio with out the keys.

/ Block Heater Surprise
When I was a child we would play in the family Ford Galaxy and if we turned on the four way flashers and step down on the brake we could listen to the radio with out the keys.

That's hilarious!

Last edited: