Why you should change your oil

/ Why you should change your oil #261  
I ran a Northstar to over 225K miles. I used a quart of oil every 1500 miles when I bought it used with 69K miles. When I traded it it still used a quart every 1200 miles. At 225K the number 2 cylinder was getting water. A little puff of white smoke when cranked. It was shot and I traded it for my LeSabre.

/ Why you should change your oil #262  
The 3.6L LY7 in my Caddy, the PCV port design is so lame that it must have been designed by a kindergarten class at a Detroit inner city public school. Poor location and no baffling to keep oil in the valve cover from sloshing all over it and being drawn thru the port. I installed a Elite Engineering air/oil separator on the PCV line and it captures about 1 qt of oil every 3000 miles. That showed me where the bulk of the oil it was "using" was going. When you factor out that oil, the engine doesn't actually use a lot of oil. Still more than I would care for, but not terrible. About a qt every 3000 miles now which has been an improvement. Without that oil going in the intake, the rings have been gradually cleaning up and sealing a little better.

/ Why you should change your oil #263  
Cadillac's problems have more to do with GM's failures, than the oil.

And, a Northstar V8, that used a quart of oil in less than 1,500 miles, from day one. (Which by the way, GM insisted was acceptable).

Exact same story I heard on the oil usage.

Dealer: " Oh yeah, it's still within book specs on usage "

Me: " What a POS design... "

/ Why you should change your oil #264  

1500 miles per quart from day 1 - try 500

I think it is possible GM learned that scam from VW .
The Rabbits manuals (1976-) had a line in them stating 500 miles was to be considered (normal) oil consumption...

FTC went after them and VW had to pay to have the head rebuilt due to the poor quality / loose valve guides which allowed oil to pass freely into the cylinder chamber.

/ Why you should change your oil #265  
Vw, aren't they the ones that just got in trouble for spoofing economy/ milage/ emissions data?

/ Why you should change your oil #266  
Vw, aren't they the ones that just got in trouble for spoofing economy/ milage/ emissions data?

If pleading GUILTY to 3 felony counts matter- then yes :laughing:

/ Why you should change your oil #267  

Yes that's them. They state my 2013 Passat would get 40 mpg highway. It only gets 48-50 mpg highway. Never had a tank under 42 mpg. But it puts out a little more NOX gasses than it should. But fixing the NOX on my Passat should not change the mileage, just use more urea. What a stupid thing to do, so you don't have to put a more ad blue fluid in.

/ Why you should change your oil #268  

Just out, Fiat in trouble for it sounds like the same diesel emissions cheat code in Ram diesel trucks and Diesel SUV's.

/ Why you should change your oil #269  

I had two Subaru's a 2012 and a 2013 that both fell into the model year that was covered under the class action oil consumpiton suit. I had already traded them off. I refuse to pay for a new car that burns oil. If you have a Subaru that falls in the range (You can find it online) keep ontop of the oil levels. I had a Subaru service manager tell me that 1.2qts. per 1,000 miles was within spec.. I had to have him tell me twice.. I couldn't believe what I had heard.

I hate a car that burns oil.

Subaru Oil Consumption

/ Why you should change your oil #270  
There is a great deal of irony in the favorite car company of hippies, being caught cheating on their emissions.