Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #131  
Thanks Teg. I saw the hood & the meter gauges in the shop . I even took a pic of the meter with the hrs for resale purposes if I buy & sell the tractor. He said the previous owner was pushing a downed section of tree & a limb popped back, dented the hood & cracked the face on the gauge section. Again they were very forthcoming in showing me the hood & the meter in the shop. They said if I bought tractor I could have both. Hood wasn't that bad but did have a decent dent & crease.

Pics are of the tractor not cleaned up but she's definitely been used. I'm fine with cosmetics as it's a tractor. I just want a solid machine that I can get a lot of work done without addtl maintenance expenses outside of preventative maintenance.

My dealer has this listed if you are interested. About one hour from Floyd. 17K And... he is the nicest guy around. I know he would do a bit better for me.

2015 Kubota L2501HST w/LA525 Loader*with Skid Steer Bucket, Hydrostractic Transmission, R4 Tires,*
Just 35 Hours, Like New, Remaining*Factory Warranty

View attachment 496776

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #132  
I live in Ohio and ridden my Harley on the Parkway about 5 different times. I remember being at Meadows oF Dan years ago and a couple young guys had an old sternwheeler that they were gonna do dinner cruises with. Whatever happened with that? Was down at the winery 3 summers ago and thought it was really spectacular.

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #133  
if I'm going to go with a new one, I'd like just pull the trigger on the 2516 with all of my implements for less than $19K or go for the 2538 for a few thousand more...

What happened with that L3901? It was priced right. Maybe not real heavy duty, but a nice tractor. What did you make out on the L3800?

If going new, seriously look at the, Korean 3510 or 4010 Kioti and the 2530 & 2540 TYM/Mahindra for heavy for their size working tractors. If going with a Mitsu/Mahindra, I'd move up to a 1533 as the Loader and HP on the 1526 is nothing special. LS tractors are also bang for buck.

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #134  
Where are you finding your pricing? I've been looking in NC, SC, & VA on CL as well as tractorhouse, fastline, equipmenttrader, & machinerypete in a 400mile radius for weeks... Most L3800s that I'm seeing are in the $17-18K range or higher...

thanks for any addtl sources for leads

Based on talking to two dealers back in December when I was kicking tires on an L3560 and getting trade-in and private-party sale numbers for my L3200. Both dealers commented that the low prices on new L models was putting downward pressure on used prices, especially since new buyers can get low interest or 0% interest factory financing. It's hard to compete with that on the used market.

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #135  
That 0% really does make selling a newer model used tractor a lot harder. Sure is a lot easier to break that payment up in 60 payments than coughing up 20k now a days.

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP
What happened with that L3901? It was priced right. Maybe not real heavy duty, but a nice tractor. What did you make out on the L3800?

If going new, seriously look at the, Korean 3510 or 4010 Kioti and the 2530 & 2540 TYM/Mahindra for heavy for their size working tractors. If going with a Mitsu/Mahindra, I'd move up to a 1533 as the Loader and HP on the 1526 is nothing special. LS tractors are also bang for buck.

THe 3901 is still available but at that price point, a couple things were deterrents. 1st was that the 20ft trailer ended up being a 7k instead of 10k.. it also doesn't have the ssqa and it has a dpf.. i know no issues right now but in 5-7 yrs, we'll see.. also with mahindra having a no dpf design, i wonder if other manfs will eventually get it and then the tractors values with the dpf will plummet...

I called both other manfs.. LS and Tym.... I wasn't impressed at all with their dealers... the Kioti dealer seemed knowledgeable but had 0 promos on implements and pricing didn't seem much better than i had already received. To be $21-22k with no implements, I'd need another $7k for implements.

I think the 3800 around $13k would be a good compromise.. if i get the itch, i should be able to sell it and get a larger tractor if my needs change

Last edited:
   / Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #137  
Mahindra doesn't have DPF but they have another type of emissions system, so it's not a big difference if you ask me. There have been some issues with the Mahindras -- there are a couple threads on TBN if you want more details.

I am not sure anyone has a clear advantage for Tier 4 hardware just yet -- they have all had good and bad experiences and each have pros and cons. There's no free lunch right now. I'd expect the next generation of diesel tractors to hopefully improve.

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #138  
Mahindra doesn't have DPF but they have another type of emissions system, so it's not a big difference if you ask me. There have been some issues with the Mahindras -- there are a couple threads on TBN if you want more details.

I am not sure anyone has a clear advantage for Tier 4 hardware just yet -- they have all had good and bad experiences and each have pros and cons. There's no free lunch right now. I'd expect the next generation of diesel tractors to hopefully improve.

Yeah, I agree. I actually think the final result will be a system without DEF. If/when that happens it will be hard to get rid of a DEF machine without a serious financial hit. :(

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #139  
The L3800 is probably worth the 13.5. Even having been damaged and sitting outside. Check for evidence of abusive ownership. Any welds to the 3pt, leaking front seals, metal in hyd fluid or front diff. From the pic, it looks like the bucket is bent. Is the loader sloppy?

The L3800 is quite a popular machine. I have not seen a great drop in prices for the prior model L series - actually quite the opposite with people looking for a tractor without all the pollution controls.

Buy the L3800 and get a ton of used implements and you'd be hard-pressed to end up with 20k. Should be an easy sell when you get ready.

On the other hand, a well kept - older - Grand L Kubota for the same money would be a better and heavier machine. I'm biased toward Kubota for sure.

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #140  
...also, no matter how long you wait for a great deal... the week after you buy a tractor, something better will show up!!! :D :D :D