Low tech weed chopper...........your opinion.

/ Low tech weed chopper...........your opinion. #11  
Hmm.. I don't think the giant stalk cutter idea is going to pan out well.

i think i'd try to rig a motor up to the bush-hog and then tow it with a mount behind the truck somehow... or make it front mount.. if you really want to re-engineer the truck front end a bit.

I see an issue of 'junkyard wars' heppening out of this..

soundguy

/ Low tech weed chopper...........your opinion.
Thanks for the input and advice. I'll take the junkyard wars comment as a compliment. Afterall This is a build it yourself forum, not copy major manufactures designs.I am sure the creation I comeup with will qualify for an episode of junkyard wars. Hope you folks have happy Easter weekend, we are headed to the ranch tomorrow PM.

/ Low tech weed chopper...........your opinion. #13  
If it is just weeds, get a sprayer and spray your trail with roundup, that will clear your path right up. If you want the low level vegetation to survive use the roundup with a "wick applicator" basically a sponge that is drug onto the tall weeds.

/ Low tech weed chopper...........your opinion. #14  
OK maybe I am not getting into the spirit of things But for around 150.00 a day you can rent a tractor in my area. I seriously considered that instead of buying one when I went to buy my new tractor. If you just have big weeds because of the rain rent the tractor for a weekend and you will have an amount equal to about one payment of a new tractor invested. To me you will not have the fun of building something in the Junkyard wars tradition but you will have something probably a bit safer and be able to get the job done while you are still fabricating motor mounts for the Junkyard wars regalia effort.

/ Low tech weed chopper...........your opinion. #15  
not sure your weeds are, but a sickle bar mower will cut anything about 2" or less. A 20 hp motor would be plenty of power for this type of mower. Or you could look into a horse (wheel) driven sickle bar mower. Just attach it to your truck like a trailer and be on your way. Best part about the wheel driven model is that there is one less engine to worry about starting & maintaining

/ Low tech weed chopper...........your opinion. #16  
You can buy a good 8N or Jubilee tractor for 2k. You seem to be a handy guy. Could probably get a project tractor for less than a grand. Seems like you'd have a lot of time and money into a 'sort-of working' solution with the truck idea.

Hammers make lousy screwdrivers...

/ Low tech weed chopper...........your opinion. #17  
You can buy a good 8N or Jubilee tractor for 2k. You seem to be a handy guy. Could probably get a project tractor for less than a grand. Seems like you'd have a lot of time and money into a 'sort-of working' solution with the truck idea.

Hammers make lousy screwdrivers...

Do you realize this thread was dead in 2008?

/ Low tech weed chopper...........your opinion. #19  
I love zombies!

/ Low tech weed chopper...........your opinion. #20  
I once had a walk behind rotary mower that had a triangular plate under the deck that was attached to the rotating spindle with a sickle mower blade bolted onto the end of each point.

blades.png