Amazon Scams

/ Amazon Scams #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
Twice this has happened.

Not sure where to post.

In the too good to be true category.

This set my BS meter off but I just had to ask. I saw on Amazon Amazon.com
Except "Like New, Used" for $400.

In NY, so I inquire with some pointed questions about more photo's where located, whats included, and Pick up vs. Shipping. Never heard back and post was removed.

Same thing happened with Amazon.com : Sojag 5-6158274 2 Track No.77 Messina Hard Top Sun Shelter, 12' by 16', Charcoal : Patio, Lawn & Garden Cheaper price listing was pulled in one day.

I've always dealt with honest people on Craigslist, eBay, etc., buying and selling. Not saying I can't be scammed, but it is pretty easy to get a sense of whom your dealing with.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Amazon Scams #2  
I have seen those as well. Log splitters, sun shelters as you noted as well. Usually by a just listed seller. And they will list several if you go to their "store". Priced 1/4- 1/3 of new. I can't think of any purpose other than harvesting data. Maybe someone more in touch than I can chime in.

/ Amazon Scams #3  
That's why I ALWAYS look for items "Sold by" or at least shown to be "fulfilled by Amazon". This means the item is sitting in one of Amazon's distribution centers and is real. And, the item is probably a better quality and/or condition. Three times I ignored my own rule and three times I ended up sending the item back because it was DOA or missing parts. I got my money back but it's just a hassle and time wasted. I'd rather pay the few extra bucks more for Amazon sold/supplied items.

/ Amazon Scams #4  
Interesting article in USA today (can't find link via my phone) that items having zero reviews do not get the sales traffic items having even one review do. 20 reviews seems to be the sweet point of driving sales.

If the price is too good to be true and it is a "new" seller alarm bells should be going off.

I too like items sold or fulfilled by amazon.

Also interesting some cc have their own return policy. Meaning if the original vendor won't take it back the cc company will. So check with them.

If it a complete scam meaning you pay and no item shows up dispute w cc company.

Note there is a huge difference between cc and debit card or prepaid card. All of my online purchase are via a true cc as you get much better fraud protection.

/ Amazon Scams #5  
Interesting article in USA today (can't find link via my phone) that items having zero reviews do not get the sales traffic items having even one review do. 20 reviews seems to be the sweet point of driving sales.

So, does Amazon have some way to keep a vendor from creating a set of fake reviews to bolster credibility/sales?

/ Amazon Scams #6  
There is an app called "Fakespot" that will analyze the reviews, give a company grade, point out reviews they feel are fake. I uninstalled it after they wanted more permissions than I thought they should have. Back to the OP's observation, I've seen these that flat out say that they don't have the product currently, yet go though the effort to list something can't sell or even take money for. $1600 log splitter for $499. Is the point to harvest data or?? Now if you would see the same splitter offer through warehouse deals at $959, that could be a good thing.

/ Amazon Scams #7  
My experience with Amazon has been very positive with the only exception being ordering an item from an outside vendor rather than supplied by Amazon.
The item was listed as "in-stock". I placed the order and got a notice the item was back ordered and would be four weeks for deliver. I asked for a refund and got no response. I waited two days and then contacted Amazon. Within three hours the vendor contacted me and said they would get me a refund that day. No apology or anything.

I complained to the vendor and Amazon about listing items as "in-stock" when the item was not available.
The big disappointment is the vendor is a major retailer/supplier for farm and ranch.

/ Amazon Scams #8  
I order more than half of everything I purchase, via Amazon. It has been a life improver, no doubt.

I rarely go to the store for anything, if I can help it. Almost everything I might need, if not immediate, is available on my doorstep 2 days later, at a cheaper price.

I use Amazon Prime almost exclusively, so it is rare that they aren't the ones who is fulfilling the order. When I send things back, I get a notice of refund within a few hours of dropping it off at UPS.

I wouldn't purchase anything from a non-reviewed source nor from anything that didn't accept payment in a way that couldn't be reversed.

/ Amazon Scams #9  
We get a lot of stuff through Amazon, too, these days. Since they opened a distribution center near us in Edwardsville, IL, we get some stuff the next day. Everything we buy we put on our Amazon credit card, so we have that as a safety net. Generally, though, everything is through a known vendor or Amazon Prime.

A BTR Pro for $400? Wouldn't THAT be nice.

/ Amazon Scams #10  
Amazon has a great business model. Whenever there has been an issue with an order - even if it has been my fault - they immediately resolve it and always in my favor. You can make contact by phone immediately with a person who will fix the issue, or can contact them by email and receive a resolution within a day or less. Additionally, you can post questions about a product you are considering buying and get multiple answers, and can read reviews (though you sometimes have to find the more reliable ones). If I can get it through Amazon that is where I will buy it.