Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess?

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #1  

Redneck in training

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM 330 HST with FEL
I don't know how some people can change oil without a drop of it on the floor. I don't have the ability or is it a skill? I know a guy who will paint whole house and has no drop of paint on himself or floor. I would be covered. So changing oil and hydraulic fluid is a challenge. Specifically, when filling empty containers (buckets) with used fluids I always spill some. I am thinking about replacing the drain plugs with something like a hydraulic coupling automatic valve that would open when a hose is attached to it. I was looking at Fumoto or EZ Oil but don't like the lever operated valve because it might open for example by a branch catching on it. Then I found No Spill Drain Valve and Oil Drain Products and Parts | No-Spill™ Systems . It is somewhat expensive so I would ask what do you guys think? The only thing that somewhat worries me is the material. I am afraid it would deform and leak when smashed on something. I would prefer steel or stainless steel or have a guard integrated into the plug.

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #2  
My "secret" is to use cheap, LARGE storage bins (you may know them as totes) instead of an oil collection pan/container. They cover a larger floor area and are so inexpensive that I can use two of them when doing the hydraulic system (one for the main plug and the other for the filter).

You can duck-tape the lids for transport or, for engine oil, pour from the storage bin into the oil collection pan.

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #3  
Quite a while ago I looked at those auto drain systems and wasn't that impressed. They appear to be designed mainly for over-the-road vehicles and not tractors. I would really question any system that hangs down further than my OEM drain plug(s). I fear it would get wiped off, crushed or accidentally opened while in the field.

I use a large Tupperware tub for my hydraulic oil - 15 gallons. That catches it all in one shot and still has enough capacity that I can carefully pull it out from under the tractor. Yes, more than once I slopped oil - when I get in a hurry and pull the tub when I should be letting the oil settle down. I'll take a little slop and hot oil on my hands, any day, rather than have to worry about some auto drainage valving system.

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #4  
I also use the large storage bins to drain oil in. I transfer the oil into 5 gallon containers that have an enclosed top with a 3" screw on cap originally made for firefighting foam. I wouldn't trust any quick release or easily damaged valves on a tractor (or road vehicle).

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #5  
I also use the large storage bins to drain oil in. I transfer the oil into 5 gallon containers that have an enclosed top with a 3" screw on cap originally made for firefighting foam. I wouldn't trust any quick release or easily damaged valves on a tractor (or road vehicle).

agreed. large bins from walmart are really handy. certainly wouldn't trust any modification to the drain plug. getting large quantities of hyd fluid back into the sump can also be messy...suggest manual lever pumps designed for 5 gal containers, work great. got mine from northern tool. good luck

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #6  
Yeah, I'd be leery of a valve on my oil. Totes, large funnels for used oil back into jugs and 5 gallon paint pails and cardboard underneath. But, my floor has the vintage shop look and I gave up on it loooong ago. I tell my wife it is a concrete rust preventative. :)

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #7  
I syphoned out as much hydro oil as I could then drained the rest without spilling any. The best option like Oosik said, a big catch pan.:)

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #8  
I cut the bottom off a 45 gal. plastic barrel about 10" from the base to catch the oil from my equipment. Still end up using some sawdust to soak up the spills.

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #9  
You're over thinking it. Don't go the risky route just because you might spill some oil occasionally. Otherwise you will be likely spilling your wallet when something goes wrong and the oil REALLY leaks out.

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #10  
I have two hoses with a pioneer fitting on one end, nothing on the other end. I put one end (suction side) in a fresh pail of oil, the other in an empty pail (secured to the pour spout with a hose clamp, so it doesn't pop out and cover everything in oil). Hit the spool valve, and suck new fluid in, old fluid out, once it's all clean fluid, change the filter.

As for engine oil, I put a cardboard "V" under the oil filter, against the block, that brings the oil out over the tire (unimog filter is in a funny spot) and into a pail. I wear some oil sometimes but it's proof I do my own maintenance ;)