Truck Bed Cover Options

/ Truck Bed Cover Options
I had a BakFlip F1. After 2 years the panels had absorbed and were holding water. They replaced it under warranty. However, after 1 year the new one did the same thing.

Not good! thanks for posting!

/ Truck Bed Cover Options #12  
Tried the folding covers for a short period of time they did not work for me.Went back to a fiberglass cap on my last 2 trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 132
  • Ford Truck 349.jpg
    Ford Truck 349.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 82
   / Truck Bed Cover Options #13  
I like my Leer cap, but it's not for everyone and is a pain to remove and re-install.

Some of my friends have an Undercover hard shell bed cover and really like them. They are waterproof and look nice. Tool-less removal I believe. Look to be 800 to 1000 bucks.

/ Truck Bed Cover Options #15  
Extang Tri-Fold for me. Solid, secure, reasonably dry, easy on/off and doesn't make my truck look like a grandpa truck.

/ Truck Bed Cover Options #16  
After the Truxedo cover that came with my 2006 Silverado truck blew off and got trashed I replaced it with an aluminum Peragon bed cover. It has held up well for the past 7 years even under heavy snow loads and high winds. It takes about 1 minute to remove so you can put things all the way up to the front of the bed. Only thing I have needed to fix was to replace one of the gas springs that lost its charge this past winter. It works very well at keeping the weather out of the bed. Cost me $700 I think. I am very happy with it so far.

/ Truck Bed Cover Options #17  
I have a BAK Flip G2 on my Tundra. Love it, no issues whatever.

It replaced an Extang soft cover. I absolutely hated that thing. If it was warm, it was so floppy the bows would move around. If it was cold, it was so tight you couldn't do the snaps. The sliding snaps were NEVER where they needed to be.

I gave the POS away when I bought the Flip.

/ Truck Bed Cover Options #19  
I have a fiberglass topper for when I need to haul lots of stuff on trips, but it only sits on the truck when needed, as I also have a truck camper that we use frequently, and I tow a gooseneck and a 5th wheel on occasion. Most of the time, I use a Lund tri-fold soft cover on the truck. (probably a Genesis, or an older version of the Genesis...) It installs quickly and easily, and keeps stuff dry and out of the sun, and away from prying eyes.

It's probably 10 years old, as I bought it off CL for $100 about 7 years ago. I make sure nothing touches the underside, as that'll put holes in any soft cover. No holes or wear in the top material, though the viny trim has split a little in the corners where it folds. It's only cosmetic, and doesn't appear to be getting worse. It's very similar in function to the Gator Tri-Fold, though my Lund has four of the flip-handles that lock it down by grabbing under the bed rails, whereas it appears the Gator has two at the back, and the front uses thumb screws instead. I'd be fine with that.

If you can find a good price on the Lund, I can say that mine has held up well. The flip handles are easy to adjust, and work well once adjusted to your truck. I can put mine on in 60 seconds, and fold it or take it off completely in about 30 seconds. Note: the flip handles don't have be adjusted to use a lot of force... They should go over-center pretty easily. I've never had mine move around once I clamp it down, even when the handles don't take much force at all to lock.

Wow, here's a deal on the Gator, $269 shipped, and it is made in the USA... This place says they'll take it back if you don't like it too, and credit you toward something else... https://tonneaucoversworld.com/gator-tri-fold-tonneau-cover (I have no affiliation with this place, but it sounds decent...)

My advice: If you will need to remove it occasionally, and can treat it decently, a folding soft cover is the ticket, and will last a long time. If you're looking for a permanent install, go with a nice (craigslist) topper. FWIW, I get slightly better mileage with the topper than with the bed cover.